• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IkarusChild

Smash Cadet
why do people hate items???:confused:
they are just for fun, not for torneys
it just gets me p@@@ed.:mad:

Zeik188

Smash Cadet
I dont hate items, but for 1v1's, it messes with the gameplay to much. Items seem more for FFA's and for matchs everyone just wants to have fun in. But let me tell you, its NOT fun to lose to an item happy player.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
I don't think people necessarily "hate" items. I mean, you readily admit that they don't belong in tournaments. A lot of players are focused mainly on tournaments, and so they like to play, as much as possible, in the manner that they're going to be playing at the tournament.

If you're just playing the game lightheartedly, there's not anything horribly wrong with them, but when you're at a tournament, which strives to be the most balanced, fair comparison of skill between two players, obviously anything that can disturb the fairness of that comparison doesn't belong.

Bud

Smash Journeyman
depends on who/how your playing. Are you playing for fun, or against a arch rival/friend who has stayed even with you ever since yall started playing, and when he wins the majority that day he brags.... then no items please, i dont need any golden hammer. But if im playing people who aren't that good, why not give them a chance. When you just constantly beat scrubs over and over, they get frustrated and lose all interest in the game (unless they are intrigued by the abilities that can be learned with time). But most however have better things to do and only are playing for fun, then items are "fun".

Peeze

Smash Master
Items don't mess up gameplay, they're integral to the SSB franchise. Remember before brawl came out everybody was tryin to guess items that could/should be in brawl.
Items, however, don't showcase the proper use of a character, nor do they show a players skillset.

Orichalcum

Smash Journeyman
I hate Items because they ruin the balance. Of course you can say now "But, everyone got the chance to grab that item" thats true. If so, let me rephrase. I rather have the outcome of the game be decided by my character and my playing strength and can or not be happy about it rather then beeing happy to grab that game deciding pokeball.

Cookiez

Smash Ace
Most people don't actually hate items, they just don't want them to be used in competetive play O.o...

Best101

Smash Ace
I dislike items and enjoy the game more without them regardless if they're 1 vs 1 or a FFA (just my personal opinion). They're lame and annoying, and gets in the way of the actual fight. I especailly hate the Assist Trophies because they're annoying, as I said before, and you can't fight them so you have to take their attacks. Another reason is sometimes you can get some stupid assist trophy that blocks the screen (nintendog) or move the screen so you can't see (that Devil thing).

I may dislike items but if you want to play with them then I'll gladly play along.

FootFace

Smash Apprentice
^Agreed 100%
I hate items, as I feel they take away from the match, but if you want to play items, I will. Just know I won't touch them.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Some people are more competitive than others, it's not in anyone's place to tell others how they should play.

But at least you seem to have the idea down that when money or pride is on the line in a tournament, items are the last thing that you should be even dealing with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom