• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why we play diddy?

Lucio08smash

Smash Cadet
Its because he is top tier? Is because it was your main in brawl or PM(top tier too) Please tell me your reasons of maining diddy

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Its because he is top tier? Is because it was your main in brawl or PM(top tier too) Please tell me your reasons of maining diddy
Because DK is my favourite series and he's one of my favourite Nintendo characters. I decided to main him before the game came out and still will if he gets nerfed into the ground. Plus he just has a really fun playstyle.

Last edited:

Blue Mage

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoceus
3DS FC
1762-2875-1153
I play Diddy Kong because I find him very enjoyable to play. I picked him up on a whim while trying to find a character to replace Little Mac, and found Diddy to be a blast to play. I was further inspired to play him by watching some high level Diddy Kong players like jtails.

That's about the gist of it really.

Robin1613

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Robin1613
I've mained him since 2009 and as such I feel at a major disadvantage when I use someone that i'm not as familiar with in a high level set.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
He's the only character that feels smooth to play in smash 4 to me. To be honest I think the biggest reason he's seen as the best is that he is one of the only characters given a good design and appropriately strong tools.

InBOUNDHD

Smash Cadet
'Cause he drives people bananas with his bananas and has been pretty solid in both brawl and smash 4.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
He's my second favorite video game character of all time, DKC2 is one of my favorite games, he was my main in Project M, and I love his play style. It just wish he wasn't so overpowered. lol

One Tilt

Smash Apprentice
Well... I like Diddy from DK64 and Diddy Kong racing, of all things, and he's back again from Brawl. Wasn't big on him in Brawl, but I only really tried him today in Smash 4... and about time, too. The mood of everyone I keep trying to use just keeps not fitting the aggressive control-focused style I seem to crave... and this time he's in the mood I kept failing to match with others-- LM's aggressive, but lacks control. Robin has control, but lacks aggression, etc.. His recovery always had me skittish. I mean, he can fly real high with his jetpack on, sure, but I kept clipping ledges and SDing even without attempted gimps. With his pistols out of Brawl's suckier feel, making for a supplement to the bananas, which I never really liked the need for multiple of, sure enough, he's one tough Kong. I was skeptical, but honestly, he'll make you smile when he plays his tune for you with those dthrow->uair combos, that Bair-feeling Fair, those less-than-fair smashes, those great tilt timings and range... But it's certainly easy to feel like so many roadkilled Kremlings when someone else is using him... definitely have to beware, 'cause when he's after you, that dual projectile/grab pressure is peerless...

Anyone get what I'm saying, there? It's hard to tell how clear I'm being when I've not really slept in a day...

...walnuts, peanuts, pineapple smells...

Last edited:

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Diddy can actually do stuff, he is fun.

Benzerade

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0731-5667-3390
I just play character i enjoy plsying. If they fit my playstyle and i think i do pretty good with them, ill try to main them. It has nothing to do with him being top tier.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I don't know why people are ashamed of playing high tier characters anyway. Playing a high tier is more honest than playing a bad character, where the "my character is bad" john can be thrown around to cover your tracks every time you lose.

If you lose as a high tier, there is no blanket to fall on, you just need to get better.

Last edited:

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
I just think he can be fun to play. There. I don't care what tier you are, how bad your match ups are, if you have poor recovery or any of that, if I like playing you, i'll play as you. It's as simple as that.

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
I like his flow and how all of his moves can just work all as one so easy such as: downthrow, up air, back air, backair, down air, grab, repeat.

Robin1613

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Robin1613
I don't know why people are ashamed of playing high tier characters anyway. Playing a high tier is more honest than playing a bad character, where the "my character is bad" john can be thrown around to cover your tracks every time you lose.

If you lose as a high tier, there is no blanket to fall on, you just need to get better.
Well said.

Also not sure if anyone has seen this yet but...

Drippy

Smash Ace
Why do I main Diddy? For two reasons, I want to play competitively and cause Diddy is honest to god one of the few top tiers I enjoy playing. I love his aggressive play-style and he's a perfect easy character for a new player like me to learn the game. Additionally characters like Greninja / Pikachu / Yoshi are either to hard for me, very difficult to play in wifi (and my wifi SUCKS), or both. It sucks being a Diddy player a little because you'll get a lot of flak for picking him but it's a character I genuinely enjoy playing and I'm heavily considering to pick him up if I ever play Brawl / Project M competitively (which should be next year when I can afford a new computer for netplay) and Diddy literally makes me want to try out the DK classics and Tropical Freeze because I don't play like playing characters from video games I haven't played before.

The amount of time and effort I'm putting into learning Diddy is real right now and I'm making sure to watch ton of tournament Diddy matches, specifically M2K and ZeRo because they're my inspiration and a lot of people talk about how they are the only Diddy players they enjoy seeing because they actually know the character aside from the Hoo - Hah and I want to be like that. They're my inspiration to become a interesting Diddy player and although I'm not even close to there yet, I'll continue to practice Diddy and get real good with him.

Last edited:

Fujenn

Banned via Warnings

Spoken like a true tier *****.

Rehnquist

Smash Apprentice
I like his flow and how all of his moves can just work all as one so easy such as: downthrow, up air, back air, backair, down air, grab, repeat.
This is probably the most accurate for the vast majority of people for both pros and casuals.

Even if we take Zero's diddy, which Zero's fundamentals are unbelievable to where he can stream roll with so many characters based on his fundamentals, Zero's diddy uses very little of diddy's techs, which diddy has quite a few especially as it pertains to movement.

Zero's Apex Grand Finals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12vAUFA8O2E

Diddy is less mentally demanding which means that you can put more mental effort in playing the other player rather than working with your own character, which greatly assist in controlling the match.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well said.

Also not sure if anyone has seen this yet but...

All of my <3 :love::love::love:

Also, I play Diddy because he's 100% honestly my favorite video game character ever. And I loved the **** out of DKC2, and Diddy Kong Racing. Diddy is basically the symbol of my 'prime in video games' moment, so he's a character I hold dear. Which is why I played him so much in Brawl, and now in Smash 4.

I'll admit, I enjoy his Top Tier status and ****stomping my friend despite me not even owning the game. His playstyle suits me perfectly, and he's easily my favorite character to play as.

Drippy

Smash Ace
All of my <3 :love::love::love:

Also, I play Diddy because he's 100% honestly my favorite video game character ever. And I loved the **** out of DKC2, and Diddy Kong Racing. Diddy is basically the symbol of my 'prime in video games' moment, so he's a character I hold dear. Which is why I played him so much in Brawl, and now in Smash 4.

I'll admit, I enjoy his Top Tier status and ****stomping my friend despite me not even owning the game. His playstyle suits me perfectly, and he's easily my favorite character to play as.
Your name shows your dedication to the character! You've had that name since 2004 I assume and that's impressive haha. Honestly picking up Diddy Kong, I now plan on getting all the virtual console DK games as well as Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D on 3DS and Tropical Freeze on the Wii U.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Back in Brawl he was one of my best mains due having aggressive and whimsical gameplay style that seemed to fit me just fine despite preferring defensive approaches before. Before I liked the chimp a lot since the times of DK64 (and Mario Kart Double Dash). As of last year's spring I cleared DKC2 which had to be one of the best platforming experiences I had for a long time.

While his top tier status seems to garner salt to those playing as him (even from other Diddy-players because apparently they'll just spam Banana-HooHah-combo in FG if you're also Diddy, lol), I don't want that to force me sacrifice his gameplay I so loved and have happily realized that it's been improved a ton.

Roll-Spamming-Peasant

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MontyRattata
Honestly...when you can't beat them...join them

No, but on a serious note, I'm finding that even though I've been dogging Diddy mains in the past, I find my playstyle works really well with him. I play him as my "Losers bracket" character most of the time.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718

That argument is very flawed. So when I play a character like Link or Charizard, that makes me dishonest? There's never been a blanket to fall on for any Smash game aside from Melee Kirby. I'm sorry, but that statement seems very much... Stupid, for lack of a better word.

Blue Mage

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoceus
3DS FC
1762-2875-1153
That argument is very flawed. So when I play a character like Link or Charizard, that makes me dishonest? There's never been a blanket to fall on for any Smash game aside from Melee Kirby. I'm sorry, but that statement seems very much... Stupid, for lack of a better word.
I think he meant it more along the lines of certain people refusing to play high tiered characters simply because if they're high tiered (even if that person really likes the character). They'll force themselves to play low tiers out of some "honor code," and most likely blame their character, or someone else's character when they lose a match.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
I have always played DK through 64 and wanted to main both DK and Diddy. Never got around to it in Brawl and decided to do it for this game. DK Crew for life.

Last edited:

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
If the person doesn't use their bad character excuse for losing then it's fine, but a lot of low tier players use their character as a shield for their own shortcomings as a player, and often try to devalue the wins of players who play higher tier characters.

When you play a high tier character, you can be sure that your loss is down to your own shortcomings.

And if you think character johns aren't a thing outside of Melee Kirby then you can't have been around very long.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I like Diddy because he's in the Jack-of-all-stats archetype. His options are all solid and incredibly versatile.

Along with Mario and Luigi, they form my personal trio of mains, since I love the jack-of-all-stats archetype more than anything.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I don't actually play as Diddy but I've always liked him as a character since I first laid eyes on him back in the day with Diddy Kong Racing (I never played DKC2 prior to that). He was one of my mains in that game along with a few others. I did played him a little bit in Brawl but he didn't really fit my playstyle very well, same reason as Donkey Kong. But overall, I like him a lot both as a character and in Smash Bros.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I've loved Diddy since I was 4 years old and he was always my favorite Kong character. When he got announced on Brawl's dojo I was beside myself and couldn't be more excited. I had to adjust to him in Brawl since Dr. Mario wasn't part of the lineup, but after many matches I felt right at home with the quick Kong, so naturally, him returning to Smash 4 made picking him as easy as saying his name.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy was from the very first video game I owned, which was Donkey Kong Land. After getting a SNES with Donkey Kong Country, I began to love the character even more. When Smash Bros. 64 got out, I was really hoping Diddy would be one of the unlockable characters in the game. With much frustration due to the lack of Diddy's appearance in Melee, I began using my username on this site to start talking about the possibility of Diddy being in "Smash 3". So imagine my face when Diddy was revealed in Brawl. He has been my loyal main ever since, and would totally main him even if he wasn't Top Tier. Donkey Kong Country 2 is easily my most favorite game ever, and will most likely remain so forever.

I already posted in this thread lollllll

Last edited:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I started playing Diddy after the patch because he started actually being fun; autocancel fair was amazing, and all of his aerials were really good and can string into each other nicely. I like how he has a lot of kill set ups too and can get so much off a grab.

He's also not broken as **** like he used to be.

Did you blatantly steal my old avatar?

I was just about to change back to it too .-.

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
I started playing Diddy after the patch because he started actually being fun; autocancel fair was amazing, and all of his aerials were really good and can string into each other nicely. I like how he has a lot of kill set ups too and can get so much off a grab.

He's also not broken as **** like he used to be.

Did you blatantly steal my old avatar?

I was just about to change back to it too .-.
Lmao no.

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
I've always wanted to play him secretly...but I didn't like how broken he felt. Now with Two nerfs under his belt, he feels like a character you have to get creative with, and I enjoy that.

Top Bottom