• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why was wario nerfed in Smash 4?

Jesus castro

Smash Rookie
I was a wario main along side bowser in brawl. Also in smash 4. Why did they change wario so much? What wario is lacking in smash 4 are kill moves. What happened to his reliable, strong, super armored signature shoulder bash?? They reaplced it with an awkward fist punch that is EXTREMELY slow. It is basically useless unless for a punish. His clap, uair, was extremely strong in brawl. Killing a low percentages and had good coverage. Now, while coverage might be sorta the same, the knockback is extremely low now. I wont kill unless its around the 160 mark. His neutral air has way less distance coverage. His waft I notice is a bit weaker but nothing to complain about. I dont think him running normal now and bike doing massive amounts of knockback and additional tweaks worth what they changed negatively about him. Does anyone else think tha wario got nerfed?

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Probably for the same reason they thought Diddy and G&W needed to be hugely buffed/nerfed overall.

But yeah. The lack of uair as a KO move hurts, because it basically means the Wario Waft is his only decent way of securing KOs in the air, as back air only does the job reliably at around 150%. I'm glad they at least buffed down and up smash after changing his forward smash for the worse.

Overall, the changes to the bike and bite make it easier for him to build damage, but he still has a tougher time getting the KO then in Brawl.

Last edited:

GreatDave

Smash Cadet
NNID
GreatDave81
Jesus, you clearly did NOT use Falco in Melee and Brawl if you talk this way about Wario:chuckle:

Yeah, you're right. Forward smash (shoulder attack) was great (but after all this forward smash has more range), Uair was a killing move...Wario was clearly nerfed, nothing to say.
But IMHO, for Wario you must reason in the same way I do for Falco: probably the character has strenght we still don't know, which have to be discovered (the game is really new, after all)...we should just learn to use a different playing style with these apparently-nerfed fighters. We must act in a diferent way.
On the other side, we could say that for Wario it's easier to increase the opponent percentage (the bike is perfect for that)...
He lacks of kill moves, but if you think about that, very few characters have plenty of killing moves ad low percentage. He's just...a little different. I think he could be considered one of the best medium-tiers.

Chaleb

Smash Cadet
What the heck are you guys talking about? Wario's definitely been buffed (slightly) and is a High-tier, definitely not Mid-tier.

He has plenty of KO moves, in fact you only mentioned 2 things which got nerfed, UAir (which actually comes out faster and still can kill off the top) and FSmash (yes it's not old FSmash, but it does more; you use it for an extreme punish, in other instances you use FTilt which still kills at 110%). His FThrow is a kill throw which is really important, his BAir and DAir both kill, and his FTilt kills like I said before, not to mention the Waft (which does more knockback).

Jesus castro

Smash Rookie
Jesus, you clearly did NOT use Falco in Melee and Brawl if you talk this way about Wario:chuckle:

Yeah, you're right. Forward smash (shoulder attack) was great (but after all this forward smash has more range), Uair was a killing move...Wario was clearly nerfed, nothing to say.
But IMHO, for Wario you must reason in the same way I do for Falco: probably the character has strenght we still don't know, which have to be discovered (the game is really new, after all)...we should just learn to use a different playing style with these apparently-nerfed fighters. We must act in a diferent way.
On the other side, we could say that for Wario it's easier to increase the opponent percentage (the bike is perfect for that)...
He lacks of kill moves, but if you think about that, very few characters have plenty of killing moves ad low percentage. He's just...a little different. I think he could be considered one of the best medium-tiers.
Oh and I forgot, no more wheels. Thats pretty huge!

Here is a list of moves that I can kill and opponent with reliably:

Waft: basically anything over 60%.
Uair: over 160%
Ftilt: over 150%
Dair: over 160% i think
Fthrow: over 180%

Thats a pretty short list.

Chaleb

Smash Cadet
Dude your percents are way off. I have no idea what you're doing if you cannot kill with FTilt or FThrow until that late. Sure, if you FThrow them from across the stage the opposite way of the blastzone, then you'll only kill until 180%. I've killed with both attacks very consistently around 110-130%. Not to mention that you're forgetting the Bike Wheelie KO, Back Air, Up Smash, and Wario's ability to gimp people in general.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
His lack of kill moves isn't a problem high tiers that have around 1-5 kill moves manage to work their way around this, the percentage for them to work is no problem either the guy racks up damage so easily in this game.

Fade away Fairs,Chomps(best way to get this is by B reversing or against people coming at you in the air),Bikes,Uair(best juggling move),Utilt(his hands beat so many things). On certain characters you can literally up throw and juggle them to 80% if you read them well, victims to this are: anyone with crappy Dairs or air mobility.

Uair is no longer a kill move get over it, it went from a strong kill move to a strong juggling tool. Wonder when this 'I want Brawl Wario stuff' mindset will go away? Its 2015.

Last edited:

Jesus castro

Smash Rookie
Dude your percents are way off. I have no idea what you're doing if you cannot kill with FTilt or FThrow until that late. Sure, if you FThrow them from across the stage the opposite way of the blastzone, then you'll only kill until 180%. I've killed with both attacks very consistently around 110-130%. Not to mention that you're forgetting the Bike Wheelie KO, Back Air, Up Smash, and Wario's ability to gimp people in general.
Then wheelie ko isn't really useful 1v1. They can see it coming from a mile away. Unless they are trying to recover to the edge , you let the bike fall off the edge with a wheelie and "smash" the enemy in mid air despite the bike doesn't hit the ground. Its pretty funny.

Wafty

Smash Apprentice
Most of Warios smash attacks are useless for 1v1. His best smash is probably his usmash, fsmash and dsmash are pretty bad imo (too slow/cool down is terrible). Ftilt, fart (half or full), clap and fthrow is usually how i get the kill.

Top Bottom