• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why was Riivolution discontinued?

mustardpi314

Smash Rookie
i only have an 8GB SD card so Riivolution is the only way i can play
but now i find out that Riivolution support is dropped for no explained reason
i installed it so i could use a bigger SD card and, mostly, so i could switch between Brawl- and Project M without taking the SD card out.
now it's useless and i can't play 3.0... :(

edit: i suppose i should actually ask for support in this thread... is there another way to play with a SD card bigger than 2GB? is there a 3rd party Riivolution XML/GCT i can find somewhere?

Daakun

Smash Apprentice
I made a quick support package for PM 3.0:
http://smashboards.com/threads/riivolution-xml-and-files-for-pm-3-0.343475/

Probably needs some finagling to work with an existing codeset like Brawl- since my XML looks for the files in /projectm/pf/ like the normal installation instructions tells you to do.

No idea why support got dropped, but they did say they "don't need it" now that we have the Replacement Sound Bank Engine.

Daakun

Smash Apprentice
iirc the file patcher code is piggybacking on existing SD card support from Brawl, but the game never got SDHC support itself, so the file patcher can't currently read from SDHC cards.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
iirc the file patcher code is piggybacking on existing SD card support from Brawl, but the game never got SDHC support itself, so the file patcher can't currently read from SDHC cards.
This is correct, and as far I know (from what they've been hinting anyway) they found a way to get around this, so soon you will be able to boot from Gecko with any size SD card. They just didn't have enough time to implement that fix into 3.0 for whatever reason.

DiamondDust

Prime Time Player
NNID
MaysTheCraze
This is correct, and as far I know (from what they've been hinting anyway) they found a way to get around this, so soon you will be able to boot from Gecko with any size SD card. They just didn't have enough time to implement that fix into 3.0 for whatever reason.
Whoa, are you serious?! I just assumed Gecko in general was incompatible with large SD cards. Great, I can finally use my 8 GB SD card again.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
100% right. A method to have Brawl read and recognize SDHC was found, and Riivolution was no longer needed, but wasn't ready in time. It'll be soon.

Top Bottom