• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why was neutral air changed? Frankly I think his brawl neutral air is better for the character.

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Why:

-It has a hitbox on both sides
-Will always be a strong hitbox (no lingering hitbox that gets you punished, you're trying to push people away as it you never really want that)
-A faster option that allows more flexibility. Right now if you throw out a nair you're committed to it for a significant duration of the jump, with a lingering hitbox you don't really want. The brawl nair comes finishes much more quickly.

so yeah. Other than "to be more like melee" why was this move changed? I've wondered about it since toon link came out. It just doesn't make much sense.

OMJesus

Smash Rookie
Why would you want an attack that hits only in two angles when you can have a hitbox that covers your whole character. It hits in every angle and can fast fall into a "sex kick". It's much better and you don't have to retreat with his nair, you can approach with multiple.

Toon Link needs at least some approach tool. SHFFLING brawl nairs would stupid.

Toon link needs a approaching tool aside from dash attack.

You can cover more Horizontal distance.

*Also his nair did not kill earlier, it was floaty brawl. If his nair was in Project M it would be weak.

Brawl nair left him vulnerable from above and below.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Why would you want an attack that hits only in two angles when you can have a hitbox that covers your whole character. It hits in every angle and can fast fall into a "sex kick". It's muh better and you don't have to retreat with his nair, you can approach with multiple.
I felt Brawl's Nair was really good so it's a close call for me to think that, I feel it could have been changed to be "less" good/spammable.

OMJesus

Smash Rookie
His new nair is an approach tool. It doesn't hit too hard, meaning it can start a combo. It might not hit left and right extremely quickly but if you could spam that, then you could just SHFFL (Brawl's Nair) with a quick attack that hits left and right, as well as very low startup and cooldown.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
His new nair is an approach tool. It doesn't hit too hard, meaning it can start a combo. It might not hit left and right extremely quickly but if you could spam that, then you could just SHFFL (Brawl's Nair) with a quick attack that hits left and right, as well as very low startup and cooldown.
Wait so you're saying Brawl's nair would be better or worse in PM, which are you referring to at that last sentence?

OMJesus

Smash Rookie
Brawl's Nair would be terrible.

(+) It can begin and end extremely quickly hitting in front and behind.

(-)It doesn't cover above or below Toon Link.

(-) It wouldn't be a great approach tool.

KeketheBasedCat

Smash Apprentice
Brawl's Nair would be terrible.

(+) It can begin and end extremely quickly hitting in front and behind.

(-)It doesn't cover above or below Toon Link.

(-) It wouldn't be a great approach tool.
when short hopped, TL's brawl nair didn't leave him particularly vulnerable from below, and definitely not any more vulnerable from below than with his sex kick.
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can cover just as much horizontal distance if TL had a brawl nair as he could with a sexkick. The amount of horizonal range you cover just depends on his horizontal mobility and the range of the attack (which would be equal or larger if he had the brawl nair).
Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but these were just my thoughts in reading through the thread.

Auxiliary

Smash Rookie
I think the nair is a good tool to use in combination with the boomerang and bombs. It allows me to cover zones that an opponent might retreat to and null a spot dodge if they attempt to use that as well.

Skootarius

Smash Cadet
I find great utility in Tink's N-Air. I don't think that it is over or under powered. It's by no means a kill move or anything, but it develops a decent shuffle, and it flows with some good combo's and edge guards. As far as the animation being a "commitment", I don't feel that. The long animation, in my opinion, just leaves room for error and makes it better at intercepting.

Top Bottom