• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why toon link?

tirkaro

Smash Champion
*warning, if you don't like people complaining about extremely minor things, don't read this post*

.......I mean, seriously? toon link? Why toon link, of all things? couldn't they have at least called him something like "wind waker link" or "young link" or "hero of winds link"? heck, toon isn't even a word. Toon link is more like a playful nickname than an actual character name. I mean, could you imagine winning an epic battle, and for the announcer to say: "Ths game's winner is: TOON LINK!!!!"

I mean, really? is this bothering anyone else?

Kazyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CheshireKaz
3DS FC
1891-1355-7641
I wouldn't 100% agree with this. As we know, in the Japanese version of Melee, or even when you set the English game's language to Japanese, Jigglypuff was called Purin, and Bowser was called Koopa. It could be the same scenario for this 'Toon Link'. In the English version, he may be known as any of those names, though shortened for obvious reasons.

He could be called a number of names for that matter. He could be Cel Link, or Waker Link. He could even be called Phantom Hourglass/PH/Hourglass Link, or even just plain old Young Link. Though, the last name could confuse multiple people, due to the similar name for a character in Melee. Though, I agree, the name Toon Link just does not work. I would prefer it to be expanded to its proper spelling, Cartoon Link. It would just seem more logical.

Burning Lava

Smash Journeyman
Don't get your hopes up guys. Toon Link sounds pretty English to me, so it'll probably be the same in the U.S. version. Oh well, it's not really cool, but it works I guess. :/

Niko90

Smash Cadet
I see what you're saying, but I have to disagree. The name is the best there is, out of the choices:

-Phantom Hourglass Link (too long, plus it doesn't necessarily fit the character, since one of Toon Link's taunt is him waving the windwaker..)
-Young Link (People would think that it was the same character from Melee, which it definitely isn't.)
-Cartoon Link (Then it just sounds like they are trying to hard - it doesn't roll off the tongue, so to say.)
-Wind Waker Link (Too long, plus people are still convinced he isn't from Wind Waker, despite his taunt, his stage, etc...)
-Toon Link (Short, sweet, and to the point. It fits the character. It's the only name that really works.)

KangKyu

Smash Apprentice
I see what you're saying, but I have to disagree. The name is the best there is, out of the choices:

-Phantom Hourglass Link (too long, plus it doesn't necessarily fit the character, since one of Toon Link's taunt is him waving the windwaker..)
-Young Link (People would think that it was the same character from Melee, which it definitely isn't.)
-Cartoon Link (Then it just sounds like they are trying to hard - it doesn't roll off the tongue, so to say.)
-Wind Waker Link (Too long, plus people are still convinced he isn't from Wind Waker, despite his taunt, his stage, etc...)
-Toon Link (Short, sweet, and to the point. It fits the character. It's the only name that really works.)
I agree 100%.

dipic7

Smash Rookie
pikmin and Olimar.....Pokemon Trainer....Robot.....Toon Link?

Skrai isn't the best namer it seems.
What would you have called Pikmin and Olimar? How about Pokemon Trainer? Robot? Those are their names and they fit just perfect.

ToyzSoldier

Smash Apprentice
Whenever I hear toon link, I keep on imagining that Link is transformed by the effects of toon world in Yugioh. Either way, what does it matter. I'm more annoyed by the fact that no one has posted some sort of impressions guide for this character yet, while everyone else has one.

R12:21

Smash Rookie
I agree with Niko, Toon Link is fine.

I don't think we should worry about the characters names... Just as long as they fit in the game. I mean, Toon Link's inclusion is great, but he is the only one of his kind in the game. He's a seperate version of a character (a different model of Link).

For this reason I think they should have included Paper Mario. Toon and Paper would have fit perfectly.

ndm508

Smash Journeyman
It will probably change to Young Link, since Toon Link has taken over every younger Link design since he showed up in Wind Waker.

You can say he's not the same character as Young Link. Technically, according to canon, he isn't...but then again Link isn't the same Link from the last game using that logic. And he plays differently than Young Link, but the moves are all pretty much the same. You can say that Falco doesn't play the same as Melee if you're using that logic. And whenever people bring up the characters left out of Brawl that were in Melee, nobody brings up Young Link, why? Because we look at Toon Link as essentially the same thing. We all agree that Lucario is Mewtwo's replacement, but we still bring up Mewtwo when we bring up cut characters (but, to be fair, the play and visual style is a bit further between those two characters)

These are stupid points, but all I'm trying to get at is that yeah, this is Wind Waker Link. But this is also the design for Link in Minish Cap, and the Four Swords games (Dark Toon Link and his other alternate colors are from those games OoOoOoOo MAYBE WE SHOULD CALL HIM FOUR SWORDS LINK)

You know what, I was just trying to say I think Young Link is the best name for it, but after typing all this, I realize I don't care. I'm just glad he's in.

San Diego, CA (in Yo Mama's house!) PM ME IF U WAN
Toon Link, although it's not the best name, fits pretty well IMO. It'd be kinda weird for a character to get name after the respective game (I don't really know how to word this right now for some reason :ohwell: I hope some people get what I mean).
It's like saying Twilight Princess Link. It'd weird. TP Link represents all the adult Links, whereas Toon Link represents all the cel-shaded, and I guess Young Links.

I do think Hero of Winds would've somehow fit better...:)

El Frosty

Smash Rookie
Quick link?
HyperLink?
Broken link?
Chain Link?

joking aside, why does this link have to be known as anything but "Link"? I mean, after all, the first link in the first legend of zelda was a young boy, so arguably the other link should be "realistic link" or "TP Link"... he even has the origonal links colour scheme for <Censored> sake!

wait...
young link isn't in the game, so he would be the ...
Missing Link!

TaurToph

Smash Journeyman
joking aside, why does this link have to be known as anything but "Link"? I mean, after all, the first link in the first legend of zelda was a young boy, so arguably the other link should be "realistic link" or "TP Link"... he even has the origonal links colour scheme for <Censored> sake!

wait...
young link isn't in the game, so he would be the ...
Missing Link!
Win!

10char

KazuTheNut

Smash Apprentice
Canada, Quebec, around the border between Ontario
*warning, if you don't like people complaining about extremely minor things, don't read this post*

.......I mean, seriously? toon link? Why toon link, of all things? couldn't they have at least called him something like "wind waker link" or "young link" or "hero of winds link"? heck, toon isn't even a word. Toon link is more like a playful nickname than an actual character name. I mean, could you imagine winning an epic battle, and for the announcer to say: "Ths game's winner is: TOON LINK!!!!"

I mean, really? is this bothering anyone else?
I like Toon Link. Toons are cool, and it fits him rather well, in my opinion anyway.

Besides, I don't see the announcer announcing "This game's winner is... Wind Waker Link!" anymore that you see him saying Toon Link.

Traceur Assassin

Smash Cadet
i want to know y he is in the game in the first place. didnt they get rid of all clones or at least make the characters that were somewhat clony original??? they could have at least given him his own movelist instead of the exact same moves as link!!!!

San Diego, CA (in Yo Mama's house!) PM ME IF U WAN
i want to know y he is in the game in the first place. didnt they get rid of all clones or at least make the characters that were somewhat clony original??? they could have at least given him his own movelist instead of the exact same moves as link!!!!
...Eh, your lucky I'm just going to decide to be nice

I agree that Toon Link's Moveset would've great if it were original, but it's good the way it is now. Many say he's High-Tier material for it, and if not High, Top of the Middle Tiers haha

He's not exactly like Link. He's somewhat 1/3 Link (Special Moves), 1/3 Marth (Aerials), 1/3 original. It's actually kind of better that he's Luigi-fied, coz it means YLink mainers can still get the feel of him, just buffed. Same goes with Falco, Ganon and Luigi (although original Movesets of them would be kicka**)

KazuTheNut

Smash Apprentice
Canada, Quebec, around the border between Ontario
First off, Toonie's not a COMPLETE clone. He has quite a few differences, even if not in the move set. And while I agree that he could've had a new moveset, this one is apelling to me because those are generaly the items used the most, and are also the items you see the most.

But tell me, how different could he be, asside from that?

Kizzu-kun

Smash Journeyman
I didn't liked the name Toon Link at first time.
Sounds too much ~argh~ to describe xD~
I used to call him Wind Waker Link, or Cel Shaded Link.

Now I'm normal with that name.

DQP

Smash Ace
"ww link" has been in games other than wind waker, such as phantom hourglass or minish cap
"hero of winds link" is too long a name
"young link" is from majora's mask, not wind waker

Top Bottom