• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why the roster is GOOD.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
Sorry boss. Your's happened to be my example post ;)

I do truly believe that Nintendo is a company for the fans. They do try to make games that will be playable and enjoyable for years after their release, and they do it for more than just making money. I firmly believe that.
That's why Sakurai acted on the idea that quality > quantity when making Brawl. If he had listened to everyone demanding characters that no one's heard of before, we'd have a huge roster of imbalanced characters. Sure, more people would be happy at Brawl's release, but less people would be having fun with Brawl in another year if that happened.

Instead of doing that, it appears that he made the right choice for HIS Smash fans (Smash fans, not fans from any other game) and made sure that Brawl is a balanced game. He'd never sacrifice SSB's dignity so the fans of another game can have a nostalgic trip for a week. Believe it.

The single character that I see as a problem not being in the game is Ridley, because he was requested so much, Metriod only has one rep, and Samus has apparently been nerfed. On the flip side, Ridley is a recurring boss in SSE, so it seems that the votes did make Ridley a bigger part of Brawl. Ridley's exclusion is unfortunate, but that alone doesn't change the game.

One thing people can't say is that ROB replaced their most wanted PC. It's obvious now that Sakurai wants a WTF retro character in each new installment of SSB. ROB was in from the start, he didn't replace anyone.

There are very childish people all over the internet who are too shallow to care about game quality, and they keep spewing things like "ROB sucks," "Sakurai sucks," and "Brawl sucks." Honestly, these people couldn't even agree to a single character to replace ROB with, meaning they'd still be *****ing about it if Ridley, Krystal, Geno, Minda, Mewtwo, Issac, or whoever got put into Brawl. In short, they're little children.

Now every reasonable person here knows that everybody complaining about Brawl now is gonna buy it next month. And everyone here knows that deep down inside, they'd rather have Brawl be a FUN game. Brawl being fun is what matters above all else. That's the reason Brawl's roster is capped at 35 PC's, and it's also the reason that it's a good thing.

Grevling

Smash Cadet
I agree completely. The people who are complaining nonstop about Brawl now are the people who suffered fits of joy when Lucas, Pokemon Trainer, Ike and King Dedede were revealed. I can deal with one of my desired characters not getting in.

Grevling

Smash Cadet
I agree completely. The people who are complaining nonstop about Brawl now are the people who suffered fits of joy when Lucas, Pokemon Trainer, Ike and King Dedede were revealed. I can deal with one of my desired characters not getting in.

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
Good post, Hitzel. If I may add:

Unless you're a newb to smash, which most of you probably aren't, you can see that Melee's roster was not all that great at all, yet we still played it. A lot. Even if you didn't get your favorite character, there are still a lot of other cool ones in the game. 35 of them.

Really, if you hate ALL of the characters, you need to play another game.

masterbraz

Smash Apprentice
i must disagree with the 35 roster being of high quality. 4 characters are still clones, and many final smashes are reused. For a roster of 35, this is unacceptable. In 64 we had 12 full character, in melee we got 8 more(not counting clones) and now in brawl we get 11(not counting clones, zss, or each pokemon as they can't be used individually and competitively(because of FF needed for zss and stamina for pokemon))

We got less full-non clone character than the original, which i must say is pathetic. Also we got less characters in general from brawl-melee than 64-melee.

Sakurai is out of touch with the Smash community, only putting things in HE thinks will please the masses.

I'm not saying the game will be bad, but the roster is a disappointment.

Druidan

Smash Rookie
The Roster is good. Very good. I'll love the heck out of this game.

But still. A Moment of Silence for the forgotten Brawlers:

Maybe next time.... *sad smile*

I love this roster to death, even if one of my favorite Nintendo characters were declined. What people don'e understand is that making additiona; characters and redesigning old charcetrs is a fundimental problem.
Let's take Fox for example: Some of his moves in Melee didn't function like they were supposed to, most notable is his Fair. In Brawl, his Forward aerial gives him momentum so that he doesn't fall during the attack, and every hit connects. His Bair is a fast non sex kick attack, hit Dair connects better and has very little lag at the end, and his Nair is more or less the same.

To be honest, when I first played Brawl at E For All, all of the vets I played with felt like completely different characters due to some of the attack changes, the physics engine, and the Final Smashes. Sakurai didn't only use new characters in the franchise, but he actually re-designed all of the current vet characters.

I love this roster and this game. I'm also happy that the speculation and end and we can cut strait to the facts of the games plethora of mechanics, stages, and characters.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
i must disagree with the 35 roster being of high quality. 4 characters are still clones, and many final smashes are reused. For a roster of 35, this is unacceptable. In 64 we had 12 full character, in melee we got 8 more(not counting clones) and now in brawl we get 11(not counting clones, zss, or each pokemon as they can't be used individually and competitively(because of FF needed for zss and stamina for pokemon))
You don't count Zamus because you need to use a FS to play as her, but then you turn around and say that 2 FS's being reused is relevant? That's just a little biased.

Back to my OP, I don't think you understand what I meant when I said quality. Quality is balance and depth of gameplay, and numbers don't reflect that. A game can have all the characters it wants, but if it's not fun to play, that doesn't matter.

We got less full-non clone character than the original, which i must say is pathetic. Also we got less characters in general from brawl-melee than 64-melee.
From what i can piece together, the clones in Brawl are more or less "Luigified." That is to say that they appear similar, but the way they actually play is very different. I don't see the problem with that.

As for the 3 Star Fox characters in particular, I see that as Sakurai acknowledging the competitive community and giving it something more to work with. Considering the fact that devs like Bungie who ignore the hardcore fans tend to crank out imbalanced and dumbed down games, that's a very good sign that Sakurai really is working hard on balancing the bame behind the scenes where it counts.

Sakurai is out of touch with the Smash community, only putting things in HE thinks will please the masses.
He's putting the things in that he thinks will make a good game. Pleasing the masses would mean stacking the roster a mile high, but he's not doing that because he needs to balance his game properly.

That's fine, just keep in mind the reasons behind his decisions before you go ahead and condemn him.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Icame in to terms with the roster i just want the game to come out.

Drone 147

Smash Rookie
I agree full heartedly.

It making me sick how childish many forum members are.

If the newcomers we annouced in a reverse order everyone would be going nuts, that how spoiled some of these people are.

And anyone who even says their not buying the game anymore is just lying.

spfire31

Smash Rookie
For all we know, there will be characters for download on wii ware in the future. I think the rosters pretty sick, but i think they left the wrong characters secret and the more interesting characters known right away.

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
According to mista_mista, when you learn Fox/Falco/Wolf, you learn the rest. Have you even played Melee?'

'Clone' is such an inappropriate title.

Oh, but you're right if you're only going to attack with your Final Smash. =|

Orsist

Smash Cadet
The starting roster is good. The unlockable roster is BAD.

A huge majority of people were looking forward to unique unlockable fighters with unique moves of their own. Instead, they were fed with veteran clones from the old game that still kept most of their clone moves, and the final character of the list is a new clone of a character that's been cloned already. Uhg.

Deny it all you want, but a character with similar moves and style is still a clone, despite how different they are played. Ganondorf in melee was vastly different from Falcon but was still a clone. Why? He didn't have enough original moves of his own to break a resemblance from Falcon's. People are seeing these same type of characters returning while the requested unique characters remain missing, and thus, are massively disappointed.

They feel the developers have ignored them and have gone lazy with roster.

Refer to this post. It is a very well written argument that also touches on this.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=139886

Drack

Smash Apprentice
One of my friends brought up an interesting point. After I showed him the Lucario gameplay vids, he said that he would have given the moveset to someone "more badass" like Megaman X, but that would be a purely aesthetic touch.

The movesets are what's important for the gameplay. The characters behind them are just putting a face on them. Looks. Fanservice.

We have some great and interesting movesets in Brawl. Complaining that your character didn't get in won't get you anywhere, find a style you like in the game and enjoy it. The face behind the character is not as important as most believe, but since we don't have the game yet it's what we're going off of.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
"Like dood, your still going to get the game anyways, so your criticisms are void lawlz"

Awesome. More logical fallacies and weak excuses from the Emotional-Apologists-Squad.

Can we please just call a spade a spade for once? Its not the end of the world that they mucked up the roster some, lets just be real about it and move on.

We don't need any of these water into wine fanboy dances, where everything in Brawl is actually perfect.

"Dood, your just being a baby even though your older then me, ROB was the best possible choice. Sakurai is god."

Don Tyrant

Smash Cadet

clones? u havent even played the game how do you know. to me even clones in melee were played very differently though so just wait til u play the game to deem them clones.

Mexican Brawler

Smash Cadet
If Nintendo or Sakurai just reveal 5 or 6 NewCommers after the Realease a think taht all people Love the Game, but he tell us about Sonic, Snake, PKMN Trainer so fast, so we think that all the Nintendo Character that anyone of us love would be there, i like so much the the rooster and the game, meybe if they include Ridley would be better for me, but no Ridley doesent mean awful game

super-7

Smash Journeyman
if it wasnt for the sights character request page thousands of peoples mind wouldnt have been corupted my ZOMG ridley Krystal and Geno are going to be in if there not then the game is garbage... sorry to say but this roster is amazing and there is alot of variety to chose from. be happy there is even a ssb game that has wifi that is the biggest gift!

Sl1th

Smash Apprentice
Now the people say: roster sux

Later after they played brawl through- this game is teh awsom3!!!!!

Im happy with the roster. Way i see if they did do everything we ask the game wouldnt come out..ever, because PEOPLE WILL ALWAYS COMPLAIN

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
People have to think about this more...

Sakurai has said time and again that balance was a key factor in making this game... imagine if all these 35 characters were actually usable in tournament play....

Instead of having 6 characters that dominate the other 20... and another handful who are pretty useless (bowser, kirby, zelda...)

I loved fox AND falco's movesets... even though they looked the same.... the two played totally differently...

I imagine the same will be true in brawl... except toony and ganondorf might be better than their melee counterparts...

And looking at gameplay videos of wolf... he doesn't seem like fox at all... his B moves are the only thing that could be considered clone-ish, but even those are totally different... and unless i get a video, I still say the landmaster is fake...

we have roster of 37 (yes you can start matches as sheik and ZSS)... that's HUGE... and counting pokemon we have 39...

If all these characters are balanced and actually usable in competitive play... I think we will all be very happy campers...

PPNY

Smash Journeyman
Im fine with the roster. But I thought there was suppose to be one more third party character??? Eh whatever.

Top Bottom