• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why the realease date is far apart...

Ok. Just like I bet most of you did, I watched the Nintendo Direct yesterday and talking about the release date... I think I know why they are so far apart. Here is my reason.
Most people want the Wii U version. So some people will have Smash Bros. before other people. This will make people want to get the 3ds version. In addition, people will also want to get the Wii U version as a gift for x-mas.
Please tell me what you think below...

Light-Kratos

Smash Cadet
That was pretty much my thought process when I saw the direct too. And I'll probably fall for it.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
yep that pretty much the idea it smart if you thing about it people want smash so they release the one what will most likely sell less and because people want the new smash so bad they will get the 3ds one then the wii u one sell more copies that way

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Perhaps they're adding more features such as an exclusive mode and NFC? Maybe polishing up the game in terms of visuals and performance? Honestly, while it's visually pretty, the Wii U version isn't graphically impressive like that of Mario Kart 8, but if they target native 1080p and 60 FPS, then that would be a good trade-off.

And sadly, this will ultimately put the final nail in the Wii U's coffin, especially for casuals and Japan. Mario Kart 8 and the next Zelda can only take the system so far.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Perhaps they're adding more features such as an exclusive mode and NFC? Maybe polishing up the game in terms of visuals and performance? Honestly, while it's visually pretty, the Wii U version isn't graphically impressive like that of Mario Kart 8, but if they target native 1080p and 60 FPS, then that would be a good trade-off.

And sadly, this will ultimately put the final nail in the Wii U's coffin, especially for casuals and Japan. Mario Kart 8 and the next Zelda can only take the system so far.
if the 3ds is 60 fps i have no doubt the wii u will be

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Even if Wii U version was the only version it wouldn't "save" the Wii U. Melee sure as hell didn't save the GCN. People need to stop dragging console wars into this.

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
My belief as to the separate release dates is that when you inspect footage of the Wii U version you can see that not every character is as polished as they could be. This is especially noticeable with Yoshi. The 3DS version seems to have been cleaned up faster due to its simpler graphics and not lending itself to the struggle of HD development. All of this is just speculation until proven, but considering the 3DS gets Smash Run and Wii U should get an equivalent means that both versions have already had a healthy amount of development put towards them.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
We could see the single player in the 3DS version was in development for as long as the initial reveal of the games, in that bit of the trailer when Mario jumps really high through that Jungle like area. The Wii U version, meanwhile, has had no confirmed modes outside of free-for-alls and online, while the 3DS one has the advantages of having one additional mode in development for nearly a year.

To put it simply, I believe the Wii U version, despite it's more grandiose presentation and visuals, is simply too in-development that they realized it would require more time to fully complete. From a business perspective, it seems a bit odd to me for the dates to be so distant from one another, but I figure as long as the Wii U edition doesn't pull a Brawl on us and comes out this Winter as planned, all is well.

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
They probably need to fine-tune the Wii U version for graphics, speed, and online play. Maybe stages too.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The 3DS version actually started before the Wii U version, I think, because I know Sakurai intended to only make a 3DS version at first. Couple this with the fact that HD development just takes a lot longer, and you have the answer to why the Wii U version is taking longer. And they have not announced any of the Wii U's exclusive features yet, or anything new about it specifically. There is also the fact that the Wii U version has a much bigger track list regarding music.

They'll announce some big Wii U exclusive features at E3, probably, or after the 3DS version comes out. Assuming PotD will continue after the 3DS version is out, they will have to show us Wii U exclusive stuff. We'll already know about characters, items, and 3DS exclusive features when the game comes out. So the PotD's will have to show us Wii U stages, and Wii U features. I doubt we will see many filler pics, because people will already be taking screenshots in the 3DS version.

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
I like to think it's more to sell Wii Us than anything else. Nintendo is expecting (and for good reason) smash 4 to be big and they figured more people would probably want the Wii U version than the 3DS version. It doesn't help that the Wii U is selling very poorly so the Wii U version being sold in the winter is no big surprise. The 3DS version being sold in the summer might also be because they want to sell more Wii Us. If they were sold at the same time, I'd have to imagine they'd be in stiff competition with each other and sense the 3DS has sold so well more people would be inclined to by the 3DS version because they already have a 3DS. No matter how different they are, if you already have a 3DS and not a Wii U or if your a parent in your kids situation of having a 3DS and not a Wii U, it wouldn't be a difficult problem as to which one your gonna get.

TL;DR: Sell more Wii Us

Xigger

Smash Lord
There could also be development-related choices, not just pure marketing strategy. Say, the 3DS version takes less work than the Wii U version, or releasing one earlier frees resources for the other.

But of course, Christmas release is always a marketing strategy. So is the pecking order of the console with more sales. So is advertising the game by releasing two versions within the same year.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
I'm assuming it's because the Wii U version needs more time. It is a rather bizarre business move. Giving people a reason to get the 3DS version and not the Wii U version is the single worst thing they could do, especially with their sales figures. 2.8 million out of 9 million projected sales is oughtright awful, I don't know what they'd do if the Wii wasn't wildly successful.

Last edited:

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
Look into my avatar's eyes and imagine it saying these words in a creepy whisper:

"weeeee dooon't knoooooooooooooooow..."

Last edited:

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
Sakurai's team already know how to work with the 3DS thanks to Uprising. This is his first Wii U game, so it's gonna take more time obviously.

SmashHole '82

Banned via Warnings
The 3DS version takes a lot less time to make, as both were started near the same time. With that in mind, Nintendo felt the Wii U version would have the biggest impact during the holidays, with system sales as well as the game. And, by the way, I feel very certain that the Wii U version will be released between mid and late November. Black Friday plays into it, too.
Oh, and the 3DS version won't harm the Wii U game. The Wii U version will have more to it.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
3DS will sell more either way plus low-res, less graphically advanced portable games take less effort to make than modern HD games, hence the cheaper price.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I always felt that it was for one or more of the following reasons.

1. It's easy on the wallet, if you were someone who wanted both versions would you rather spend $100-$110 on both versions in one purchase? Or would you rather spend $40 during the Summer, then $50-$60 in the Winter? I believe Sakurai understands this.

2. The same reason given in the first post except I feel the 3DS version is going to help the hype for the Wii-U version.

3. Balance. Wouldn't it make the most sense for Sakurai to release the 3DS version first, collect the feedback and then use it to balance the Wii-U version? The 3DS version would also get a balance patch when the Wii-U version comes out of course. I'm almost 100% certain that this is the main reason or at least one of the main reasons for why the schedual is the way it is.

Kerreb17

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0619-4010-5392
I like to think it's more to sell Wii Us than anything else. Nintendo is expecting (and for good reason) smash 4 to be big and they figured more people would probably want the Wii U version than the 3DS version. It doesn't help that the Wii U is selling very poorly so the Wii U version being sold in the winter is no big surprise. The 3DS version being sold in the summer might also be because they want to sell more Wii Us. If they were sold at the same time, I'd have to imagine they'd be in stiff competition with each other and sense the 3DS has sold so well more people would be inclined to by the 3DS version because they already have a 3DS. No matter how different they are, if you already have a 3DS and not a Wii U or if your a parent in your kids situation of having a 3DS and not a Wii U, it wouldn't be a difficult problem as to which one your gonna get.

TL;DR: Sell more Wii Us
This x100. It seems like most likely reason. It's good for sales, and mostly good for the consumer. Solid.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Seems like everyone has different opinions of why the 3DS version should sell first...
  • With the 3DS having sold past 40 million, and the Wii U only 6 million, there will be more sales on the 3DS than the Wii U no matter the order. The sales for the first release would sell more with the more-sold console.
  • The Wii U WILL have more content than the 3DS. We're already confirmed to have 2 songs per stage on 3DS, with plenty more on Wii U. It's less satisfying to get the downgraded version after a bigger version.
  • 3DS takes less resources, plus Nintendo teams are still going through the transition into HD games. The learning curve takes additional time, whether it's used for development or not.
  • Christmas sales are huge: a Wii U bundle would fare better than a 3DS bundle.

Sakurai's team already know how to work with the 3DS thanks to Uprising. This is his first Wii U game, so it's gonna take more time obviously.
Is Sakurai keeping his development team? I wasn't sure.

R0Y

Smash Master
Seems like everyone has different opinions of why the 3DS version should sell first...
  • With the 3DS having sold past 40 million, and the Wii U only 6 million, there will be more sales on the 3DS than the Wii U no matter the order. The sales for the first release would sell more with the more-sold console.
  • The Wii U WILL have more content than the 3DS. We're already confirmed to have 2 songs per stage on 3DS, with plenty more on Wii U. It's less satisfying to get the downgraded version after a bigger version.
  • 3DS takes less resources, plus Nintendo teams are still going through the transition into HD games. The learning curve takes additional time, whether it's used for development or not.
  • Christmas sales are huge: a Wii U bundle would fare better than a 3DS bundle.

Is Sakurai keeping his development team? I wasn't sure.
Also
  • HD game development isn't cheap, the 3DS version will help with that being cheaper to make and on a platform more people own. It'll help pay back some of the budget for the Wii U version by simply existing.
  • If the Wii U version had come out first, a lot of Wii U owners like me, would probably only get the superior Wii U version and gloss over the later 3DS version. With the 3DS version coming first by what looks like could be 4-5 months, many of those would would get only the Wii U version will instead get both, including me.
  • There's a core Smash audience of at least 3-5 million people that will buy both versions no matter what, like Pokemon fans.

Nope, Namco Bandai is Sakurai's new team, so a third-party, and they don't work cheap. Rumoured to be at least mostly the Tekken team.

Project Sora is completely gone after KI:U, Sora Ltd. itself is just him and a secretary as far as we know.

Last edited:

Pixxler

Smash Cadet
If the Wii U Version was released first i think i wouldn't buy the 3DS version ... but now i have to xD

TheMiddleVeen

Smash Cadet
I feel the same thing about not wanting to get the 3DS version. However, now that the 3DS is coming out this summer I am more excited about it. I feel that it will only get me more hyped for the WiiU version.

Top Bottom