• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why the beast roars instead of Takashi Nagasako?!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The short version is that, if they can avoid having to pay a voice talent, that's what they'll do.
The biggest sense of irony is knowing that the same person who voiced Ocarina of Time Ganondorf still voices Donkey Kong today.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yup, they only need to pay him for the clips they use, hence why we get monkey grunts.
Greed sure can bypass common sense sometimes. And you also have to wonder why Nintendo would use Kerri Kane's voice work when she's no longer voicing Rosalina. If what you're saying is true, Nintendo would have to pay the former voice actors as well.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Greed sure can bypass common sense sometimes. And you also have to wonder why Nintendo would use Kerri Kane's voice work when she's no longer voicing Rosalina. If what you're saying is true, Nintendo would have to pay the former voice actors as well.
They would, though it ultimately comes down to what kind of rate they cut with her for residual usage.

Or maybe they actually did a buyout? I've never recorded for Nintendo but favoring the buyout option does sound like their style...

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Much like you, I never really saw Donkey Kong be the intimidating type, which is why I've been content with Takashi Nagasako's voice work. In Punch-Out!!, Donkey Kong wasn't a serious competitor, as he would often taunt Little Mac, and show goofy expressions during a fight.
Well I disagree there. DK was the hardest fight in all of Punch-Out Wii. Just because you are a goofball doesn't mean you can't be tough as nails super strong badass too.

That's the problem. People can't see DK as being both tough and goofy.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Well I disagree there. DK was the hardest fight in all of Punch-Out Wii. Just because you are a goofball doesn't mean you can't be tough as nails super strong badass too.

That's the problem. People can't see DK as being both tough and goofy.
Personally, I've dreaded Title Defense Mr. Sandman a lot more than Donkey Kong. But I guess part of the reason why Donkey Kong didn't scare me was because I've learned not to punch Donkey Kong whenever he performed three of his five taunts (I'd only punch when Donkey Kong does his 1st or 4th taunt, since their star opportunities are easier to land than the other three). And when I went up against him for the first time, I won by decision.

Last edited:

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
:bomb:INCOMING FOOD FOR THOUGHT! :bomb:

How would you guys feel if DLC or future Smash titles introduced a dedicated voice switch for each animal/beast fighter (sans Ridley)? That way there's an option for both those who prefer a more beastly DK & those who prefer a more game-accurate DK.

Also yes, this would extend to characters like Yoshi, Belle & Fox being able to swap between their official voices & real raptor/shih-tzu/fox noises respectively, just for shigerus 'n' giggles.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Yeah, not worth the while.

Also yes, this would extend to characters like Yoshi, Belle & Fox being able to swap between their official voices & real raptor/shih-tzu/fox noises respectively, just for shigerus 'n' giggles.
Just something I want to point out. It's one thing to give DK, Diddy and Bowser animalistic roars, and its another different thing to give Yoshi and Fox animalistic roars. Its not a valid comparison.
Fox and his crew are characters that are anthropomorphized to resemble animals in a human frame. They are also human in lifestyle with very few or no animal tendencies whatsoever, that live in a civilization that resembles ours.
With the Yoshis, we have a different case. They were designed to look and sound adorable which is why their cries resemble baby talk, as they are cutesy caricatures of dinosaurs. Which is why raptor sounds (and by that I assume the ones we see in Jurassic Park) aren't a good fit for them.

In contrast, DK and his crew are animals with human-like intelligence depending on the game, but they move and act like animals. There have even been points during their gaming history where they have sounded like the animals they are supposed to be. This also applies to Bowser. The only time DK and co. have been given the same kind of personification the Star Fox Team has was in the DK Country cartoon, where they stood straight and walked like humans and were more like people who happened to look like apes.

Overall, DK isn't as human as Fox is and he isn't as cutesy as a Yoshi, which is why he doesn't face the same problems they would have if you swapped out their voices. DK can easily pull off gorilla grunts without conflicting with his character like they would. It annoys me to no end that people keep bringing this up as if it is a good comparison, saying "DK sounding like a gorilla is like if they gave Fox a fox's bark and Yoshi a raptor's roar". It's a dumb fallacy that shows how little they understand those characters.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
^ sounds like a waste of time and resources to me. Wait for mods
Unfortunately, if you don't want to be banned from Nintendo's online services, you really can't risk hacking your Nintendo Switch system. Anyway, Nintendo has been known to reuse old voice clips, so it wouldn't be too farfetched for the company to make voice packs (even if they're part of a free software update). But in regards to Cloud, you're pretty much stuck with his Japanese voice actor.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, not worth the while.

Just something I want to point out. It's one thing to give DK, Diddy and Bowser animalistic roars, and its another different thing to give Yoshi and Fox animalistic roars. Its not a valid comparison.
Fox and his crew are characters that are anthropomorphized to resemble animals in a human frame. They are also human in lifestyle with very few or no animal tendencies whatsoever, that live in a civilization that resembles ours.
With the Yoshis, we have a different case. They were designed to look and sound adorable which is why their cries resemble baby talk, as they are cutesy caricatures of dinosaurs. Which is why raptor sounds (and by that I assume the ones we see in Jurassic Park) aren't a good fit for them.

In contrast, DK and his crew are animals with human-like intelligence depending on the game, but they move and act like animals. There have even been points during their gaming history where they have sounded like the animals they are supposed to be. This also applies to Bowser. The only time DK and co. have been given the same kind of personification the Star Fox Team has was in the DK Country cartoon, where they stood straight and walked like humans and were more like people who happened to look like apes.

Overall, DK isn't as human as Fox is and he isn't as cutesy as a Yoshi, which is why he doesn't face the same problems they would have if you swapped out their voices. DK can easily pull off gorilla grunts without conflicting with his character like they would. It annoys me to no end that people keep bringing this up as if it is a good comparison, saying "DK sounding like a gorilla is like if they gave Fox a fox's bark and Yoshi a raptor's roar". It's a dumb fallacy that shows how little they understand those characters.
OK dude, I get the jist. I was just spitballing is all, nothing serious.

Last edited:
Top Bottom