• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why take out Mewtwo??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mewtwo_to_you_too

Smash Cadet
It just doesn't seem right. He has been an icon in nintendo since pokemon was created. Sure he wasn't the choice character in SSBM but they could have given him a new moveset and made him heavier for brawl. I mean jigglypuff is horrible and has been the laughing stock in the smash bros franchise from the beginning.

Well, if that "How to Play" video really deconfirmed mewtwo it would make SSBB less fun because only one of the villians (lucario) would be playable, and one of the ultimate rivalries in the smash bros franchise is now laid to rest.

Um...

1. Jigglypuff is pretty popular in Japan.

2. Because he wasn't very good, he wasn't very popular, and conversely, was not very requested.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
In the west at least, Mewtwo is one of the most popular Pokémon so far... much more popular than Lucario with those who only played the first gen of Pokémon games (a HUGE majority) Mewtwo was pretty legendary stuff.

He wasn't very good, but that wasn't his fault, it was the dev's for crap balancing. If he were to be in Brawl he could be made a lot better, and he was a surprise, people weren't expecting him. Not to mention Smash Bros wasn't as popular before Melee as it is now, and there was never that big of a "requesting community"

1. An original moveset

2. A very popular Pokémon

3. a great surprise in Melee.

No, you're right, I can't think of a reason they would want to take him out, other than their own incompetance while making Melee (or Nintendo's incompetence for not allowing them more time)

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Because they'd have to make a new, good moveset.

Lucario is somewhat similar to Mewtwo, and should be much better.
lucario isn't nearly as iconic as mewtwo though.

if mewtwo truely is taken out, then that will be the stupidest move that could ever be done by the brawl development team. It's like taking peach out for princess daisy, or taking bowser out for wart.

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
How is Jigglypuff terrible at all? He's mid-tier in SSBM and there are a number of notable Puff players that place very well in tournaments. Sure he's no Fox or Falco but to call him terrible is just false.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9

If you knew much about Pokémon, you could never compare Lucario and Mewtwo, their types are basically "rivals", and Lucario would never use the kinds of attacks Mewtwo uses in Melee.

Lucario is current and well-known.
Well known within the Pokémon fan community, yes, Mewtwo is well-known to ALL, because he was famous at a time when Pokémon was a household name.

Gigan X3

Smash Apprentice

No, The Character Design of Lucario is not Appealing to everyone, Lucario is a Fighting Steel type Pokémon while Mewtwo is Psychic. Mewtwo Floats, Lucario Runs, Mewtwo uses Mind Shocks, Lucario uses fisical hits.

The feeling overall can't be there and if he plays like Mewtwo then he's a Dissapointment too, If I play as Lucario I want to play as Lucario not Mewtwo disguised.

Mewtwo needs to return to the fray, his moveset was Special and Different, Why should he get kicked out? Because the development team was too incompetent to give him an Upgrade?

His moveset is fine, just make him Heavier and Faster, That is all, Change his Confusion to be more like a reflector and replace disable or make it so that you don't have to face your opponent.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9

If you knew much about Pokémon, you could never compare Lucario and Mewtwo, their types are basically "rivals", and Lucario would never use the kinds of attacks Mewtwo uses in Melee.

Lucario is current and well-known.
Well known within the Pokémon fan community, yes, Mewtwo is well-known to ALL, because he was famous at a time when Pokémon was a household name.

EDIT: Post lag

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Um...

1. Jigglypuff is pretty popular in Japan.

2. Because he wasn't very good, he wasn't very popular, and conversely, was not very requested.
Mewtwo is VERY popular, even to people who don't play Pokemon. And so what if he wasn't very good? Neither were Bowser, Ice Climbers, Ness or Kirby..
And where is it shown he was not requested much? Not disagreeing, I just want to know :|

MrPitters2351

Smash Cadet
Mewtwo is a villain and a villain is needed. Also, so what if Lucarios's aura sphere is similar? I can give you at least five move that separate characters have that are similar to each other. Pkus, do you know how awesome Mewtwo vs. Lucario would be? Mewtwo is very popular and still has a chance. I can give you a whole argument to why Lucario's conferment doesn't deconfirm Mewtwo.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Mewtwo is VERY popular, even to people who don't play Pokemon. And so what if he wasn't very good? Neither were Bowser, Ice Climbers, Ness or Kirby..
And where is it shown he was not requested much? Not disagreeing, I just want to know :|
Ice Climbers were good though XD

The only good move Mewtwo had was Shadow Ball, which will inevitably be similar to Lucario's Aura Sphere.
All of Lucario's moves apart from that would be physical though. It's stupid to suggest Lucario will be the new Mewtwo, or take his move set, they're nothing alike. Hell, ZSS is more likely to take Sheik's moveset (and argument that still completely bamboozles me)

Gigan X3

Smash Apprentice
So what if he has good recovery? He's slow, has a huge hitbox, and only one decent moves.
Because if Fox got nerfed and Bowser and Kirby got Buffed, Mewtwo would certainly get buffed and with such a Kickass moveset, different gameplay and Character all in all, It's worth it.

JusDBerube

Smash Cadet
Mewtwo is my favorite Pokémon and has ALWAYS been since generation 1. Honestly I was so happy he was in Melee when that came out. If my favorite Pokémon is replaced by a non legendary loser like Lucario I will be pretty sad. I'm not going to hate the game by any means, it's just I never understood the appeal of Lucario to begin with. He isn't nearly as epic as Mewtwo.

In fact Mewtwo was so good I still to this day feel like Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal were a game really made to nerf Mewtwo and Psychic Pokémon. I still hate those three games though because the people who played R/B/Y hardcore got screwed by the big changes.

Overall I really hope to see Mewtwo return and if he doesn't I will be pretty sad.

MysticKenji

Smash Master
Luke is not a villain >_<

His moveset doesn't need to be completely redone.

*facepalm*

The only good move Mewtwo had was Shadow Ball, which will inevitably be similar to Lucario's Aura Sphere.
Shadowclaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw (read: You are incorrect)

The IC's are good >_<

So what if he has good recovery? He's slow, has a huge hitbox, and only one decent moves.
His moves were also incredibly lame. Confusion? Disable? Not Psybeam? Psychic?
Now you're just giving reasons for him to return and get buffed >_>

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
If you didn't know, Lucario is not a villain:) he's a good guy, it's just that in the movie he was in, he disliked Ash at first because he thought the reason why Pikachu is not with him anymore was because Pikachu ran away since Ash was a bad trainer. Then they become allies/friends. He does not harm/hurt/fight anyone (that is a 'good guy').

Recently i thought about Mewtwo's confusion, and i finally realized that the reflection doesnt do damage because it's just to CONFUSE :) im pretty slow :). Because Confusion does not actually do damage, i think they should just improve it by allowing Mewtwo to capture the projectile that was shot at him, and then he can 'replay' (shoot) it at anyone he likes, that would 'confuse' the opponent more. It shouldn't do damage. Or may be just sometimes, like 25% it will do full damage.

THen again, in the Pokemon games, the move confuse did result in the confused pokemon to be hurt more, because the confused pokemon would attack himself/herself. So may be they should actually make the reflect deal dmg, since then if it hits the oponent who fired it, it would be like he/she got confused and hit himself/herself. Or may be to make it more strong, it would deal dmg back, and if he/she got hit by it, for the next few seconds he/she could damage himself/herself. Then may be standing for a few seconds straight will make him/her unconfused or something... lots of possibillities:) I think disable is fine, it should just be faster. and may be the disabled person would be disabled for amount of time that can be shortened by button mashing out. THe person could be disabled for lets say, 3 seconds, instead of regaining control after the first hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom