• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why support gay marriage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingJiggyWiggy

Smash Lord
I want to hear your thoughts on the redefinition of marriage that gay people are pushing for.

Do you support it?

Or do you disagree?

And why?

Let the flaming begin!

Grandeza

Smash Master
I support it 100%. I really don't see anything wrong with it. If 2 males love each other and want to get married i don't think we should have any right to stop them.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Separation of church and state exists for a reason.

Subtracting the religious reasons, why is it that straight couples can get marriage benefits like lesser taxes, better insurance but same sex couples who've been together as long, if not longer, can not?

Personally, I think the better question is:

If people don't want gays to get married because they think it ruins the sanctity of marriage, why aren't people complaining about the divorce rate being over 50% and actually trying to stop divorces by improving marriages?

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
Well, why not?

And it's not just "gay people" pushing for it, it's not exactly unreasonable or horrific a freedom to give people...unless you have some notion that homosexuality in males OR females is somehow less "worthy" of matrimony.

Which is the problem at hand. Anyways, if there's to be true freedom and the slow but sure rooting out of publically accepted intolerance for it, then I think they have as much right to pain, marriage costs, divorce, and drama as anyone else.

KingJiggyWiggy

Smash Lord
Umm gee that was the fastest response I've ever seen.

Well I don't support it. If this passes then the church is forced to legally marry the gay couple. This is against the Catholic teaching but if a priest goes against this, then he is ultimately against the law. This law will destroy the church.

Instead of pushing to change the definition of marriage, why not do it in gay's own community? It seems like gays aren't pushing for equality, but they are pushing to change it forever.

It destroys the purpose of teaching a child your own moralities. We might as well forget about separation of church and state.

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
I don't like it, but it happens. You just have to live with it.

Wuss

Smash Champion
^ although I don't agree with what you're saying (im pro gay marriwage), for this reason you stated, I believe that instead of anything called a marriage exactly, gay's can be legally unified. I think if this existed and was basically the same as marriage in every way, except that it wasn't called marriage, churches shouldn't have as much of a problem with it. UNfortunately, any politician that tries to legalize this, will probably get killed by somebody that thinks gays are the devil.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999

Well I don't support it. If this passes then the church is forced to legally marry the gay couple. This is against the Catholic teaching but if a priest goes against this, then he is ultimately against the law. This law will destroy the church.

Instead of pushing to change the definition of marriage, why not do it in gay's own community? It seems like gays aren't pushing for equality, but they are pushing to change it forever.

It destroys the purpose of teaching a child your own moralities. We might as well forget about separation of church and state.
You do realize you don't have to get married in a church. So your reasoning holds no base.

And as I said before: Instead of worrying about if gays getting or not, how about try to heterosexual marriages from divorcing for whatever reason.

Who cares if homosexuality is a sin? Divorcing is also a sin because the vow was 'till DEATH do you part.'

MojoMan

Smash Ace

Well, unless the mother****ing church can tell anyone why two people that love each other can't be married, besides :the big guy says so", then you have no valid reason why they shouldn't be married. It doesn't affect the church in any way.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Is there any legitimate reason for gay people to be married, it's not like they are going to have any children.
So by your logic, a woman who had to have her uterus removed can't get married either. >_>

Man, the reasons to not allow gay marriage get crazier, I swear. lol

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Is there any legitimate reason for gay people to be married, it's not like they are going to have any children.
Neither will old people or sterile couples. Yet they can still get married.

There is no non-religious argument against gay marriage. And in most countries where this is an issue, church and state are separated, to prevent this. Just because your religion can say no, doesn't mean your government can.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman

Here's the thing though Jiggy, you keep referring to them as "the gays", not as people. By saying things like it destroys the purpose of teaching a child moralities you're in a very soft way, saying that being a homosexual is a wrong and horrible thing...and those "gays" should be kept to a strictly enforced segregated community away from the "normal" people. I'm not infringing on your belief, you're free to believe in what ever you want...but as far as the topic goes what you're saying isn't pushing for equality either.

The primary argument against gay marriage is essentially that "it just ain't right". Well, that's not a very pragmatic reason, it's a belief reason...and people used to think Pagans had to be burned because it wasn't right even if they weren't hurting anyone. Another argument I hear often is that it'll destroy the moral fabric of western society, or society in general. Well...I don't exactly see how thinly disguised discrimination is helping society much either but...that's just me.

If Homosexuality were destroying the planet, or ****** kids, or what have you then those would be genuinly worldly reasons to not have it. But as it stands a mere homosexual relationship isn't hurting anyone around them in an understandable way.

Ok, but is there a reason for gay people to get married?
I didn't realize people got married just so they could concieve a baby.

KingJiggyWiggy

Smash Lord
That doesn't mean that a priest should go to jail for it either. A priest is a good man, why put good people in prison? Just get married some place else.

People are confused when we say we don't allow gay marriage. They take it as hatred, and being homophobic. But we aren't saying you can't live your way of life in your own home.

KingJiggyWiggy

Smash Lord
Here's the thing though Jiggy, you keep referring to them as "the gays", not as people. By saying things like it destroys the purpose of teaching a child moralities you're in a very soft way, saying that being a homosexual is a wrong and horrible thing...and those "gays" should be kept to a strictly enforced segregated community away from the "normal" people. I'm not infringing on your belief, you're free to believe in what ever you want...but as far as the topic goes what you're saying isn't pushing for equality either.

The primary argument against gay marriage is essentially that "it just ain't right". Well, that's not a very pragmatic reason, it's a belief reason...and people used to think Pagans had to be burned because it wasn't right even if they weren't hurting anyone.

If Homosexuality were destroying the planet, or ****** kids, or what have you then those would be genuinly worldly reasons to not have it. But as it stands a mere homosexual relationship isn't hurting anyone around them in an understandable way.
These people tell me to refer to them as "gay" rather than "homosexual." Whats the problem?

Now a gay couple can live their ways as they please but the law will force your children to be taught these things in elementary school. Why shouldn't I teach my child morality? Doesn't a gay couple do that?

The primary argument against gay marriage is essentially that "it just ain't right".
Where have I said this before?

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Ok, but is there a reason for gay people to get married?
Is there ultimately a reason for straight people to get married?

Besides, America is suppose to be EQUAL. So if you can find some random hooker, propose to her, and get married the next day; Why can't homosexual marry his/her love that he/she loved for many years?

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Ok then, is it wrong for a man to marry his daughter if he and she love eachother?
Can a man marry a baby if he loves that baby?
Shouldn't a man be able to marry someone he loves(forcibly) when the person does not love them back?
Why should we stop these peoples love?

BudaBoy

Smash Cadet

You realize this argument holds no water. You can be Jewish, Buddhist, atheist, or freaking Scientologist, you can still be married and it doesn't have to be in a Christian church. Marriage has legal meaning and benefits unrelated to your religious definition and therefore should not be restricted by one religion's views about it. To be restricted from being allowed to marry has financial repercussions that could really hurt a middle-class couple.

KingJiggyWiggy

Smash Lord
From now on your government will be raising your kids for you. See if they don't enforce this in public schools; might as well be home schooled.

Instead of changing the meaning of marriage to EVERYONE, why not keep this to yourself?

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Ok then, is it wrong for a man to marry his daughter if he and she love eachother?
Can a man marry a baby if he loves that baby?
Shouldn't a man be able to marry someone he loves(forcibly) when the person does not love them back?
Why should we stop these peoples love?

Oh, I LOVE that fallacy. Ahem:

Children can't consent.

That's why nobody is fight for pedophilia marriage. Because children won't know what's going on.
And don't give me bestiality as an excuse either. Cause animals can't consent either

And obviously trying to marry someone who doesn't love you back is called 'harassment.'

OMG, the logic!

KingJiggyWiggy

Smash Lord
You realize this argument holds no water. You can be Jewish, Buddhist, atheist, or freaking Scientologist, you can still be married and it doesn't have to be in a Christian church. Marriage has legal meaning and benefits unrelated to your religious definition and therefore should not be restricted by one religion's views about it. To be restricted from being allowed to marry has financial repercussions that could really hurt a middle-class couple.
I do realize that you haven't read the rest of my post's.

Overload

Smash Lord
Not letting a homosexual couple get married is blasphemy in my opinion. This country has church mixed in with state, which shouldn't be. If we are supposed to be a free country, and everyone is supposed to be equal, gays should be able to wed.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
These people tell me to refer to them as "gay" rather than "homosexual." Whats the problem?

Now a gay couple can live their ways as they please but the law will force your children to be taught these things in elementary school. Why shouldn't I teach my child morality? Doesn't a gay couple do that?
You didn't directly say "it just ain't right", but what you're proposing is basically saying that whether you mean it or not. What "morality" is it you're talking about? The catholic morality?

You make it sound like if gay marriage is made legal, that somehow it's going to force you to be unable to teach Catholicism or what have you on your own time, and that's just plain delusional. No one is attacking anything about the church. They're not trying to assassinate the Pope, they just want to have the same amount of options as anyone else and for very well spelled out reasons. So why shouldn't they?

There's a gay couple in my apartment, and they're very nice people. They don't want to get married as of now, but if they did...why should the law in some way be enforcing that they be not allowed to do so? They're about the same age, they're very nice people, they have jobs, they don't go around being profane. So why shouldn't they be allowed to do that?

In all my years I have yet to hear a single worthy argument against it that doesn't fall into the "It insults my belief" category.

From now on your government will be raising your kids for you. See if they don't enforce this in public schools; might as well be home schooled.
Wait....what?

Instead of changing the meaning of marriage to EVERYONE, why not keep this to yourself?
What this says though is that the catholic mentality of what marriage is should apply to EVERYONE in turn. That's unbelievably hypocritical logic. This isn't the Government forcing everyone to think that Homosexuality is ok, it's just merely allowing those people the option of getting hitched if they choose.

You've got some seriously mixed up views of what this whole thing is about.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
That doesn't mean that a priest should go to jail for it either. A priest is a good man, why put good people in prison? Just get married some place else.

People are confused when we say we don't allow gay marriage. They take it as hatred, and being homophobic. But we aren't saying you can't live your way of life in your own home.
You do realize that hundreds of rights are given to married couples ONLY such as the right to refuse to testify against ones spouse, inheriting medical care after the spouse dies, and undeniable visitation rights in hospitals will never effect gay couples unless they're married, right?

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Oh, I LOVE that fallacy. Ahem:

Children can't consent.

That's why nobody is fight for pedophilia marriage. Because children won't know what's going on.
And don't give me bestiality as an excuse either. Cause animals can't consent either

And obviously trying to marry someone who doesn't love you back is called 'harassment.'

OMG, the logic!
Who are you to stand in the way of these peoples marriages/love?
The laws can be changed, as that is what gay marriage supporters want done.
And obviously trying to marry someone of the same sex is called "gay marriage".
I never said anything about bestiality, and was not going to, you went way overboard.

You do realize that hundreds of rights are given to married couples ONLY such as the right to refuse to testify against ones spouse, inheriting medical care after the spouse dies, and undeniable visitation rights in hospitals will never effect gay couples unless they're married, right?
So, is the motivation for gay marriage financial benefits? That is why they desire it so, I see.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
I don't see why not, I've yet to see an actual good reason against it.

Marriage helps out on things like taxes etc, so I don't see why we should stop people from getting married.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
John seriously.

Children cannot consent to a marriage. They have NO clue what's going on? Nor do they know what they're getting themselves into. Morale wise, that's more wrong then two consented men getting it on.

Same for trying marry someone who doesn't love you back. Seriously, if you keep asking that person, who has no feelings for you, to marry you, she WILL get uncomfortable and she WILL a sexual harassment charge against you.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Who are you to stand in the way of these peoples marriages/love?
The laws can be changed, as that is what gay marriage supporters want done.
And obviously trying to marry someone of the same sex is called "gay marriage".
I never said anything about bestiality, and was not going to, you went way overboard.
He mentioned beasiality because that's always the next argument after the 'what about pedophilia' one. He made his point, and you had nothing to refute it with.

So, is the motivation for gay marriage financial benefits? That is why they desire it so, I see.
As is the reason for straight marriage. It applies to ALL married couples, after all.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
John seriously.

Children cannot consent to a marriage. They have NO clue what's going on? Nor do they know what they're getting themselves into. Morale wise, that's more wrong then two consented men getting it on.

Same for trying marry someone who doesn't love you back. Seriously, if you keep asking that person, who has no feelings for you, to marry you, she WILL get uncomfortable and she WILL a sexual harassment charge against you.
I have seen 15, 16, 17 year olds dating 21+ year olds, why can't they get married right then and there?

Why are you bringing up morality? Back in the day, it was ok for 15 year olds to start their family at that age, but it was still wrong for men and men to try to marry.
Why should the moral line move from where it is, and what makes gay people the ones with the moral high ground?
Currently, it is against the law for gay people to get married in how many USA states, 48 right?

As is the reason for straight marriage. It applies to ALL married couples, after all.
Marriage has been going on for thousands of years, financial benefits have not always been around, so no, that has not been the motivation for straight marriage for 3000+ years.

NessUserAnton

Smash Rookie
It should not be allowed.

There is no point to it. In the bigger religions of America, they don't allow it because of Catholic/Christian/Islam don't allow it in Religion.

I've learned that the whole point of being married is having a kid.

That's the whole meaning of life. Get married, reproduce, die.

If you don't do anything that easy, you aren't really living life. I mean, what is the meaning of life? The meaning of life is to have life go on.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer

There is no point to it. In the bigger religions of America, they don't allow it because of Catholic/Christian/Islam don't allow it in Religion.

If you don't do anything that easy, you aren't really living life. I mean, what is the meaning of life? The meaning of life is to have life go on.
Bolded part is an opinion.

The meaning of life is up to each person. The meaning of life for me? Having fun. I don't give a blue flying **** about if I reproduce or not.

It should be allowed because it's the person's choice to want to get married with somebody of the same gender. If your religion is against it, that's fine. You can not agree with it, but you shouldn't be trying to bring everybody else down because of what you choose to follow.

Church and state are seperated for a reason -- let's keep it that way.

Grandeza

Smash Master

If you believe in that the point of your life is to get married, reproduce and die you have quite a pessimistic viewpoint. As Pluvia said there are old and sterile couples. Should they not be married?

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I have seen 15, 16, 17 year olds dating 21+ year olds, why can't they get married right then and there?
Do you really think a 21+ would want to marry a teenager? Most likely, the 21+ is dating the teen because teens are very easy to get in the bed. And by easy, I mean you can trick them into it.

And I've teens date adults to. And it only came around to bite the teens in the butt.

Why are you bringing up morality? Back in the day, it was ok for 15 year olds to start their family at that age, but it was still wrong for men and men to try to marry.
Why should the moral line move from where it is, and what makes gay people the ones with the moral high ground?
Currently, it is against the law for gay people to get married in how many USA states, 48 right?
Throw in the fact that the life expectancy was way shorter and it was usually arrange marriages and the 15 year old couldn't complain about it.

And I'll tell you why it's morally wrong to ask for a child in marriage and not two men doing it..

When two straight people get married, they CONSENT to it. Which means, they both want too and they both understand what's what. When two homosexuals consent, they BOTH agreed to it. The same thing

If you ask a child to marry you, she won't understand what's she's getting herself into. The adult is clearly taking advantage of the child's naive, innocent psyche.

Are you kidding me? Life is not about getting married, reproducing, and then dying.

And stop with the religion bull. Church and state are suppose to be SEPARATE in America. (BTW, before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm a Christian)

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Do you really think a 21+ would want to marry a teenager? Most likely, the 21+ is dating the teen because teens are very easy to get in the bed. And by easy, I mean you can trick them into it.

And I've teens date adults to. And it only came around to bite the teens in the butt.

Throw in the fact that the life expectancy was way shorter and it was usually arrange marriages and the 15 year old couldn't complain about it.

And I'll tell you why it's morally wrong to ask for a child in marriage and not two men doing it..

When two straight people get married, they CONSENT to it. Which means, they both want too and they both understand what's what. When two homosexuals consent, they BOTH agreed to it. The same thing

If you ask a child to marry you, she won't understand what's she's getting herself into. The adult is clearly taking advantage of the child's naive, innocent psyche.
So a 16 year old is too stupid and blissfully unaware of what is going on that they don't know what they are getting into?
Oh, you never said anything on why a father cannot marry his daughter, the daughter can be over eighteen by the way, as they do grow up.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
Man, I wonder from time to time what Christ himself would think of all this.

I'm not religious....but I don't like to imagine Jesus Christ pandering to some form of downright ruthless discrimination, because a group of people said God said it was ok. Or that he'd think it'd be ok to segregate people for irrationally egotistical reasons, or that life was just about reproducing. I like to think more that he'd be about understanding, love, and tolerance but...that's just me.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
I'm 16 and I can get married without my parents consent.

And you can't honestly think getting married to someone of the same sex is the same as getting married to your mum.

Also stop picking and choosing what posts you want to reply to, you've been ignoring all our good points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom