• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why should you use SHLs as fox?

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
Am I the only one that things SHL (with fast falling) is MUCH harder than SHDL? I can SHDL with amazing consistency but when I try to SHFFL things just get jumbled for me.
I do know what you mean. SHDL has a more rhythmic timing. SHL has more variability in when you can laser during the fast fall... so lasers often aren't at exact same height... especially while fading-back-lasering

Moxin

Smash Apprentice
well I've noticed that on Falcon if you time the lasers right they will do twice the damage(4 times for shdls)
Be really careful using shdl vs falcon, his approach is so fast that if he baits a shdl with his dd game he can actually get to you before you do much about it by like over half the stage, especially if he reads your shdl and approaches during the startup of your sh.

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
Be really careful using shdl vs falcon, his approach is so fast that if he baits a shdl with his dd game he can actually get to you before you do much about it by like over half the stage, especially if he reads your shdl and approaches during the startup of your sh.
The same goes for fox. I mean you gotta be on your toes and expect their approach regardless. A lot of people use lasers merely to force an offensive from their opponent. A retreating SHDL if done correctly shouldn't make any difference from a SHL if done correctly (other than the extra laser). What I mean is that it shouldn't screw you up defensively unless falcon is already approaching anyway

4 Aces

Smash Ace
-Using lasers on the ground leaves you open to attack.

-Full-jump laser is good, but most of them miss. Its good for characters that have slow recoveries and are coming back to the stage from high in the air. Also good against characters that stay in the air/platforms/SH alot (Peach, Sheik, Ganon, Jiggs, etc.)

-SHL is good because you get free damage, but you never put yourself at risk. The animation of Fox putting his gun back into his holster is canceled by his landing animation. Every single hit is a step closer to an usmash or stock-depleting grab.

If you're going to SHL for mobility and damage purposes, then learn to SHDL. It makes NO sense to do SHL. Same strategy, same benefits, more lasers. Learn it, love it.
I've never really heard this before. So it's useful when you want to run around and laser? That's a new one. I typically hear, "Never SHDL." lol makes me want to practice them again.

I've noticed that Even SHLs are sometimes too high to hit pichu
You're timing them wrong/doing it too slow (one or the other). Pichu shouldn't be too hard to hit. Now Shiek, Jigglypuff, and Kirby...they're the ridiculous ones. I used to can SHL crouching Shieks like it was nothing a long time ago, but alas not anymore.

Moxin

Smash Apprentice
SHDLs arent very useful for me if i'm moving because I always do his side-b and suicide ;)
That doesn't mean they aren't useful to you, that means you're doing them wrong.

Top Bottom