• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why not just do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkforce

Smash Apprentice
After seeing that smooth boots thread, I realized something I've noticed for a while when using Link.

Instead of crouching during the walk animation, why not just input an attack? Link's attacks don't alter the DI of his walk animation. He'll end up keeping the DI of his walk but the animation will simply be replaced by a longer one.

This is why Link has the longest Pivot Boost. But in theory, Link doesn't need to pivot to "boost". It can be done from the neutral walk animation by inputing an attack at the height of the DI curve.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smktrZs7by0

In this video I can't hit the maximum of his DI perfectly, so my slides vary. But in theory you should cover the same distance as a pivot boost (the slide will be less but the distance is the same since you are walking part of it).

Pivoting merely makes this process easier since you can input an attack during the pivot to cancel out the walking animation while keeping the DI. But it takes longer since you have to Pivot first. Instead you can just cancel the second step of his walk animation to accomplish the same thing.

Of course I may be wrong, so what do you think?

Aurashade

Smash Ace
THE HALL OF FAME WHERE THE COOL PEOPLE GO
Amazing argument right there. You really helped the discussion.
I did, I always do.

I guess this is why Link will remain bottom tier. It's forums are filled with pricks.
sure because every single person who plays Link comes here-it's also my doing that there aren't any nublets around here anymore, I single handedly cleasned these boards from all nub evil, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm sorry I asked for advice, please close this thread.
please commit a bullet to your forhead

Shmexy

Smash Rookie
Thats aurashade for ya, he forgets that he was a noob once.

I would help but i'm still not quite sure what your proposing. Are you saying why not just input an attack instead of crouching to get that slide because you would actually travel further? The whole point in the slide is for midgames. Attacking instead wouldnt really be a mindgame it would be like a dash attack, except no dash. Please correct me if i misunderstood your question, cuz Link needs every bit of his gameplay questioned if we're ever going to try and improve his game

Shmexy

Smash Rookie
Thats true there definately is. Flame the real noobs but Linkforce doesnt seem like a "noob***gtfoomghelp " to me. Thats all i'm sayin man.

Linkforce

Smash Apprentice
Thank you Shmexy.

I just wanted to state something that was not mentioned before (at least, I haven't seen it mentioned). In my opinion this is still a valid topic. I'm not going to drop it just because someone with "experience" (whatever that may be) claims differently.

@Shmexy

You got it right. I understand the pivot slide is for mindgames I'm just saying you can use this to increase the range of his attacks without having to Pivot. Like a hyphen smash, only longer and more variable (since it works with all of Link's attacks.)

It'll be as you said, like a dash attack, with ANY attack. (Links dash isn't very fast anyway, in fact his walk is almost as fast as his dash if not, a few milliseconds slower)

Aurashade

Smash Ace
Thank you Shmexy.

I just wanted to state something that was not mentioned before (at least, I haven't seen it mentioned). In my opinion this is still a valid topic. I'm not going to drop it just because someone with "experience" (whatever that may be) claims differently.

@Shmexy

You got it right. I understand the pivot slide is for mindgames I'm just saying you can use this to increase the range of his attacks without having to Pivot. Like a hyphen smash, only longer and more variable (since it works with all of Link's attacks.)
basically what I'm getting that this thread is, is a response to another thread, which gives little detail to those who didn't read it.

I'm not trying to get you to leave, I'm just in a real raunchy mood because I'm tired and a massive hail storm rolled by while I was away and kicked the **** out of my backyard. Not really an excuse but whatever.

Linkforce

Smash Apprentice
basically what I'm getting that this thread is, is a response to another thread, which gives little detail to those who didn't read it.
You mean that smooth boots thread? Yea its kind of a response to it. However there was to much negativity in that thread so I thought I'd just make a new topic out of it.

I'm not trying to get you to leave, I'm just in a real raunchy mood because I'm tired and a massive hail storm rolled by while I was away and kicked the **** out of my backyard. Not really an excuse but whatever.
Ah, I'm sorry about that. I feel for you, don't worry about it. I apologize for calling you a prick.

Shmexy

Smash Rookie
I tested it out Linkforce, and your correct. You can cancel the second step of his walk animation to accomplish the same thing, in terms of carrying some momentum through an attack. But thats not the point. You may get a bit of extra distance, but theres no mindgame in that thats just sliding an attack a smidge. You might as well do a dash attack.

Oh and hate to burst some peoples bubble, but Link's not the only character that can slide by crouching the second step of his walk. Marth, Sonic, TL, Pit, and maybe some others can as well. Link's seems to slide a bit further than most of these. But i think Marth's has the same distance.

oliwonder

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7363-3324-0043
i just tried it out too and it does work. I don't know why I didn't think of trying other things instead of crouching when i made that video ha. I guess i was just too excited to prove to my melee friends that there is a wavedash in brawl.

On what I've experimented with this, they all cover about the same distances, yet the range of an attack varies, because of the time at which they are inputted.

For the pivot boost, the attack occurs during the whole slide, covering the whole distance.

For what you're pointing out, the attack occurs during the second half of the movement(during the slide), covering about half of the whole distance.

For what I've pointed out (The SB), the attack occurs at the end of the slide(of course because it is after the crouch), which does not cover the whole distance, but slightly extends the range of the attack(however it comes out late). Unlike the other 2 mentioned, the slide is not covered in doing the SB.

And in testing going backwards here's what I've come up with:

Retreating Pivot Boost still takes the longest to execute, as you still need to turn backward, then forward, then backward to slide. This still gives you the longest distance however.

With what you're saying, a small slide occurs in turning around and attacking. The attack comes out quicker than the Rev SB, yet Link doesn't move away much.

And with the Rev SB, the crouch gives a moderate distance and the slide is somewhat quick, and the attack follows.

So many variations with all this, yet I still can't find a really good use for all this ha

oliwonder

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7363-3324-0043
and don't f*** with Aurashade, he's the f***in Batman and you all just don't know it. Cleansin the Link boards with FEAR.

Fa real tho hope there isn't too much damage on your backyard man. There was a typhoon disaster in my homeland that took out the roof of my mom's house.

But that still won't stop us from pwning noObs!

D

Deleted member

............didnt i already say this in the other thread?.............

Linkforce

Smash Apprentice
Oh and hate to burst some peoples bubble, but Link's not the only character that can slide by crouching the second step of his walk. Marth, Sonic, TL, Pit, and maybe some others can as well. Link's seems to slide a bit further than most of these. But i think Marth's has the same distance.
Yea I tested it out with a few other characters too. It works with Marth but only with few of his attacks. His forward smash for example, cancels out the momentum of his walk causing him to stay in place. Same thing with Sonic. Toon Link and Pit are still pretty similar though.

You might as well do a dash attack.
True. Its just that Links Dash attack is fast but its hitbox doesn't last long and it has a lot of lag at the end, also at low percentages, it doesn't knockback very far. Why not replace it with something with less lag?

Maybe I should upload a video where its better to do this other than the dash

@Oliwonder

I see. Yea it's basically the timing of all three thats different. There may still be some use to this imo.

ArkiveZero said:
............didnt i already say this in the other thread?............
You pointed out that the SB concept was pointless since it didn't increase your distance at all and that it was better to just Pivot boost and get the whole slide and attack during it.

I'm just saying instead of doing the crouch, just do the attack and slide just as far.

oliwonder

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7363-3324-0043
i think a good use for all this is that it adds more variety to Link's approach game. Instead of smash boosting or throwin zairs or whatever all the time you can throw this in and mix it up. I've been using the SBs more now and it's been on and off as far as effectiveness, but it's still developing. Everyone jes keep at it

Aurashade

Smash Ace
@oliwonder (sorry for not quoting im jsut tired as all hell and can't see straight-probably a bad idea posting on a forum but oh well)

thanks man, that typhoon sounds real brutal, and yeah basically everything you said about Link agree with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom