• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Leffen Will Never Be a God.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFST4R

Smash Cadet
NNID
NFEEMNOMM
3DS FC
1263-6876-0095
Leffen (William Hjelte) is without a doubt in the top 6 players in the world. On our very own Smashboards, he is even ranked at a cool 4th place, and is considered by many to be "the 6th God of Melee." I am here to show you why Leffen is not and won't ever be a God of the game we love so much.

1.) The 5 Gods of Melee (PPMD, Mew2King, Mang0, Armada, and Hungrybox) have all contributed heavily to the growth of competitive Melee. Some of them have been TO's at tournament's (Notably Armada for the B.E.A.S.T. tournament series.) and they all overall have promoted this game to the point where it is today. When you look at the history of Leffen, all you see is past of foolishness. Everyone has heard of evidence.zip, and if you haven't, here is the link (http://smashboards.com/threads/leffen-is-banned.333990/) It roughly sums up the reason for Leffen being BANNED from tournaments by Armada himself for misconduct. Leffen continually mocked, insulted, and defaced players, new or veteran. No "God" has been banned from tournaments (if you count Mango switching to Scorp because of the Smash World Forums incident as being banned then you are wrong.)

2.) No God has singled out players and have tried to turn the rest of the community against them. This comes from Leffen in account of his harsh comments regarding Chillindude and DaShizWiz. I will leave Chillindude out of the conversation due to the lack of severity in comparison to DaShizWiz. Shiz has a criminal record showing domestic violence charges. Apparently some bit of trash talking emerged on twitter between the two, and Leffen exclaimed something along the lines of "I would destroy another has-been, but I would rather not get stabbed." Leffen had no place bringing up Shiz's personal history that I am sure he is not proud of, showing another reason why he couldn't be a God. Being a god doesn't just mean you show prowess and upper class inside of the game, but also outside of it, promoting it and nurturing it.

3.) Leffen has been beaten many times, and the whole reason there are Gods is because they are a considerable margin above the rest. Leffen has beaten all of the Gods, yes, but have we not forgotten how bad he has lost to not only the other Gods (being 4 stocked at least once by every single one of them excluding PP) but also to other players? Hax has destroyed Leffen before, and if you remember MLG Anaheim, Westballz had a very strong showing against him as well. I also distinctly remember aMSa nearly taking a set off of him at Apex 2015, showing just how weak Leffen is in comparison to the other's. (granted, Mango also almost lost to aMSa.

4.) No God ever claimed to be a God. Leffen continually promotes HIMSELF. He has boasted and bragged about himself in comparison to some of the other struggling Gods (M2K and Hbox) and places himself even in the top 3!

5.) The biggest one of them all, is that the whole "5 Gods" came about because of Scar. He watched Street Fighter 4 at EVO and related how they thought of the top players in that community. They were Gods. He even noted that some of the gods didn't even place in the top 5, and how he thought it fitting they were gods, due to HISTORY. Leffen's name doesn't come up really until like 2012, where as Mew2King on his first national in 2007. Leffen simply does not fit the title of God. One day he may even be ranked #1, but he can never be a God due to what a God truly is: a foundation, a relic. No matter how long we play Melee, everyone will know who Mango is, who Armada is. People may even want to forget who Leffen is.

These are all strictly opinions of mine, and I formulated them to hopefully end this argument once and for all. If you look at what the current Five Gods stand for, you will see that Leffen could simply never join their status.

MartianMedia

Smash Cadet
NNID
MartianMedia
3DS FC
5172-0483-1084
I kind of agree with you there. Leffen is a great player, but he's generally an asshole from what I've seen of him. A god of the game should represent the community as a whole, and I don't think Leffen fits that description.

Massive

Smash Champion
Leffen's public persona fits the textbook example of a wrestling heel, and while smash is not fixed like wrestling usually is, acting this way is a great way to get exposure and to build rivalries between people. Think about it, he has more twitter followers than all the other top smashers combined, he's widely spoken of (good or bad, everyone knows who he is) and he's a very good player to top it all off. Like it or not, that meets a very objective definition of success.

It is my opinion that he will probably never meet the designation of a god, What he is really doing is acting as an iconoclast, he is chipping away at the level the gods had previously occupied and opening it up to other skilled players. Leffen is a very skilled player, but he was not in the right place at the right time to be a god in this iteration. He is, however, in the perfect place to destroy them. I would not be surprised if the idea of a "smash god" eventually evaporates completely and they're left as a very interesting footnote in the game's competitive history.

tldr: Leffen is the first smash atheist.

Last edited:

FoxeR

Smash Cadet
some of the so called gods dont have enough motivation to keep up with him

when Leffen is the best people wont have much choice but to proclaim

StevenStone

Smash Rookie
In my personal opinion a day will come when new, younger players become better than the current gods. But none of those "new gods" will ever get the God title. Its like Ken being regarded as the "King of Smash" despite the fact he hasn't won any large nationals in a long time. Even if players surpass the currents god and there are a new Top 5. I don't think they will ever be considered a god. I think those titles are set in stone.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
The only argument that really holds any bearing here is the 5th argument. The others are either baseless or even misleading. I don't see how demeanor, losses to known god-slayers or in the less-skillful past, or beneficial communality should affect godhood. I also think the evidence is very weak; M2K has been banned from brawl, Hbox/Armada/Mang0 have "killed melee" before with Jigglypuff and Young Link, and it's hard to say that a competitive community can flourish under total dominance and a lack of legitimate competition at the top (though a cult most definitely could).

Mystic-

Smash Apprentice
we comparing retro mango puff to retro hbox puff now? Just don't....I agree with you on the premise though. They are gods because of history and just like Ken is the King of Smash they are the Gods. We can come up with a new title or new titles for a new era of dominant smashers if needed but there are only 5 gods of melee and will only ever be 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom