• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Jigglypuff is worse than melee?

Principe Momopato

Smash Rookie
I know sm4sh jigg is better than brawl jigg, but why melee jigg is better than sm4sh jigg.
I see the buff and nerf in the transition of melee to sm4sh ( i see brawl too) and i see the nerf not so bad. (EXCEPT REST THAT WAS INSANE)
I talk with some jiggs main and the told me the change of game mechanics nerf the jigg game
What you think?

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
Bair is slower and doesn't combo, fair is weaker, uair doesn't combo, dair is laggy, extreme rest nerf, rollout nerf, laggier smashes, new engine and mechanics makes edgeguarding much more difficult, decrease in fall speed and most characters having good recoveries now makes her no longer stand out for those, can't combo into rest, throws no longer combo or kill, rising pound is useless, u-tilt doesn't combo during kill percent, probably more I'm forgetting. Really the only things that are marginally better than in Melee are Sing and nair.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Her up smash is no longer useable (minus 1 kill option), up tilt no longer combos, up air no longer combos, down air no longer autocancels (minus 2 kill options), forward throw no longer kills (minus 3 kill options), up throw into Rest is no longer a thing (minus 4 kill options), Rest is no longer a borderline OHKO, and her Wall of Pain isn't as strong. She's overall a much less extreme character than she was in Melee.

-TAG-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuprSmashKing16
Adding in that her air speed and friction is lessened from Melee (the fastest air speed in Melee), which prevents her from zipping back and forth quickly or safely pulling back from a missed aerial, though it still is one of the fastest air speeds in the game.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Adding in that her air speed and friction is lessened from Melee (the fastest air speed in Melee), which prevents her from zipping back and forth quickly or safely pulling back from a missed aerial, though it still is one of the fastest air speeds in the game.
Her air speed's the same, Yoshi's just got increased. Her aerials have more ending lag (most of them), and that's what prevents her from fading back as quick as she could.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
From what I've read Jigglypuff was so much better in Melee because of the physics. Once you were off stage in Melee you were at a serious disadvantage. One air dodge that sent you in a free fall, smaller blast zones, and the ledge wasn't always available like it is in Sm4sh. With her great aerial speed, the best recovery in the game, and bair disjoints; Jiggs owned the offstage game in Melee. Now in the newer games, characters can air dodge whenever they want, in Sm4sh you can't take the ledge away, and blast zones are bigger, etc... and it's all taken away Jiggs' biggest advantage.

Buffs have been made to attempt to keep her relevant with the new engine, I'm pretty sure even Brawl upped the damage and knockback on a lot of her attacks to try and balance her out, but w/o the incredible offstage advantage she had in Melee it just won't matter. Plus the attacks that were nerfed (rest, rollout, and pound) got nerfed a lot, and that's hurt Jiggs too.

I think Jiggs can still be a great character with the right buffs in the right places, but right now she's a low/mid tier, and I think that anyone having success with her right now is more due to the individual player's merits and less the character's.

Last edited:
Top Bottom