• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Jigglypuff is Gone Forever

Smash Apprentice
1. Pikachu's costumes. Pikachu now has the ninja bandana as an alternate costume in Brawl, along with Pichu's goggle costume. (Of course, slightly altered to look like Emerald's main trainer.) Most players agree that Pichu has been removed, and if this is true for Pichu then it should work vice-versa.
Jiggs' headband tied in the back. Pikachu does not have that headband.

2. Pokemon Trainer addition. Because of Newcomer Red, there would be a grand total of six first gen Pokémon to appear in Brawl if both Mewtwo and Jigglypuff returned for Brawl. This would be excessive if this were to happen. Therefore, I would expect one to stay, one to leave; Jigglypuff being the more likely one to leave. This, of course, is all conjecture without considering that two new generations of Pokémon have been introduced since Melee was released. To not have at least ONE new Pokémon from either generation is simply stupid (even if you think both generations sucked from a character standpoint). More than four characters from a single series is overkill (Pikachu, Pokémon Trainer, Mewtwo and a newer generation one, most likely Lucario) despite the fact that Pokémon is raking in more money than any other franchise right now.
Six first gen. So what? It's the most important generation. It's where Pokemon started. It still is a part of the current list. Your definition of 'excessive' is completely irrelevant. That's like saying that having so many Mario references is 'excessive'. What you think means crap. You may think it stupid to ignore the newer generations for PCs, but you don't get that call. The person who put Ice Climbers and Mr.G&W, both ancient characters who, according to your definition are irrelevant, into the last installment. You seem to underestimate the fact that Pokemon is Nintendo's second best-selling franchise. I think that more than warrants the spotlight. Want proof? Look at the Pokeball. Pokemon has ALWAYS been more represented than any other francise in Brawl based on that alone.

3. Jigglypuff was never intended for Smash Bros. 64. The original plan for the original SSB was to have Mewtwo and Pikachu representing the Pokémon series. However, due to time and possibly memory constraints of the 64, Jigglypuff replaced Mewtwo. Jigglypuff is more or less a clone of Kirby. with a simple sphere-based model and a similar animation set, I can assume that Jiggly is more or less a direct clone, with a completely different moveset to make things more subtle. Jigglypuff was chosen because she was popular and relevant at the time, prominently appearing in the popular anime at the time. Mewtwo, on the other hand, was built from the ground up to be an original character for his appearance in Melee, unlike Pichu and Jigglypuff. Some may point out that he has a similar jump to Ness, but I believe that this is only due to the fact that they are both psychic beings.
Funny that you should say that, because absolutely everyone else says that it was supposed to be Balloon Fighter, not Jiggs. The thing you have in common is that neither of you have a source. Habeas corpus.

4. Jigglypuff's moveset is being distributed to other characters. Peach and Sonic so far have moves that are very similar to those that Jigglypuff used in previous games. Peach's final smash lulls everyone to sleep, a la Jiggly's up-b move. Secondly, Sonic's spindash is very, very similar to Jigglypuff's rollout move, appearing to even control similarly. These two moves are considered (to me, anyways,) to be extremely signature moves to Jigglypuff.
So I guess Link is out since Peach pulls out projectiles, Donkey Kong spins, Pit has a bow, and Metaknight has a sword?

Sonic's spindash is actually nothing like Jiggs' other than the rolling concept. For one, Sonic can change direction vertically.

Since when has any character in smash had a completely unique moveset? Hell, look at Sonic, Pikachu, and Yoshi's Final Smashes. They power up and fly around invinciblely.

5. Jigglypuff is no longer relevant. Considering that we have not seen Jigglypuff in the anime recently at all, she appears to be more unpopular in fan circles than ever. The fact that she was once popular appears to be the only reason she was introduced in the first place, along with technical issues of time and memory constraints; these are no longer issues. This point assumes a lot, but I believe it is legitimate enough to point out.
When was Mewtwo last in the anime?
When was Charizard last in the anime?
When was Squirtle last in the anime?
When was Ivysaur last in the anime?
When did Sakurai say that the anime meant anything to Brawl?

Also, if Jiggs is still well-liked in Brawl, and, as you claim, she is so easy to design, why would they remove her?

Smash Apprentice
I don't know how you could say that Lucario is lame when you think Jigglypuff is cool and popular.

Lucario has his own movie!

Erm...

That movie was made before Lucario was ever announced.

The movie wasn't made because he was popular, as was the case with Mewtwo and Mew.

Smash Apprentice
Seriously, what do you think Jiggly's final smash would be other than a mass sleep spell?
Why can't it still be a mass sleep spell?

You could add something else even.

Or it could be Hyper Voice and simply damage all foes and paralyze them.

::FalcoFTW::

Smash Apprentice
You are so off man. So other people have similar moves in only the very basic of terms and you say they're the same. Peach puts ppl to sleep, therefore Jigglypuff is deconfirmed...? Where's the logic in that? And also, why can't there be six pokemon? If there's a franchise bigger than Mario, it's pokemon. Therefore, there's nothing wrong with having one of the largest representing cast of characters.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
I don't know how you could say that Lucario is lame when you think Jigglypuff is cool and popular.

Lucario has his own movie!
OH MY GOD, GUYS. LUCARIO HAS A MOVIE. HOLD ON.

Mew, Lugia, Entei, Unown, Celebi, Latios, Latias, Jirachi, Rayquaza, Palkia, Darkai, Dialga, Regigigas, Giratina and Shaymin for playable Pokemon in Brawl!

Top Bottom