• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why isnt samus heavier...

B.W.

Smash Champion
I just wish Fire D-Tilt had a little less endlag. Same for Morphball Bomb.

And I wish homing missiles curved a little better.

I also wish Charge Shot looked as cool as it did in Melee

Fortress

Smash Master
I'm glad I'm not the only one who preferred how the Melee shot looked. And I agree with the homing missiles, at least the ice ones, anyway. They're supposed to have better homing than the normal ones, from what I'm told.

B.W.

Smash Champion
I don't think they do have better homing. But they do travel until hit or until they go off screen.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Ice homing has better turn speed to lock on, like they definitely made Ice homing better

Fortress

Smash Master
Ice homing has better turn speed to lock on, like they definitely made Ice homing better
Yeah, I'm aware they did, but I was saying that increase their homing beyond that. I dunno. Ice Missiles are fine, and annoying, and fine.

B.W.

Smash Champion
I feel like Fire Missiles don't home as well as Melee. Dunno why. Just seems that way.

Hence why I want them to home better. Also because I never use Ice really.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
I believe that her frame data is similar in terms of the tilts, but I feel that she is different than she was in melee. This is in terms of her fast falling. In melee, she she can fast fall and do an aggressive d-air then link it to back air once the opponent bounced up from the ground. In project M, the timing feels very different. I don't know if it's because she has a slower fast-fall, or if it's because she has a harder time fast falling. I know that in PM, it's harder to fast fall, but I find it nearly impossible to do with samus. I once saw Darrel playing project M, and he was having trouble landing his attacks as well, but when he used captain falcon, or fox, he played just fine. Does anybody else notice this?

Narpas_sword

1: Because having the falling speed of a character change based on their weapons element is weird.
2: Because Shooting missiles like falco is total BS.
3: Samus Is floaty in most of her games.
4: Having a separate physics character changable in match is fairly OP. (sheik/zelda, but if both were super good) You cant counter pick that ****.

I thought that a new character, fusion Ssamus, as a separate slot, with her own semi clone moves (and ice form unique to her, i.e samus drops it) would be good.
But missiles would have to be nerfed hard.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I thought that a new character, fusion Ssamus, as a separate slot, with her own semi clone moves (and ice form unique to her, i.e samus drops it) would be good.
Perhaps make a Dark Samus that works like this. Dark Beam is basically Prime 2's answer to Ice Beam, so there's some consistency there. Needless to say I would be thrilled if this happened.

Litt

Samus
Perhaps make a Dark Samus that works like this. Dark Beam is basically Prime 2's answer to Ice Beam, so there's some consistency there. Needless to say I would be thrilled if this happened.
1: Because having the falling speed of a character change based on their weapons element is weird.
2: Because Shooting missiles like falco is total BS.
3: Samus Is floaty in most of her games.
4: Having a separate physics character changable in match is fairly OP. (sheik/zelda, but if both were super good) You cant counter pick that ****.

Im not saying keep heavy samus exactly the same, but in PM having a single main just really isnt cutting it anymore with the sheer number of MUs, most samus mains are rather unique in their niche character, so giving them a near identical version that is a fast faller to choose from, really isnt that far out of the question anymore in my opinion

They dont even need to be interchangeable, one can be dark samus or ice samus on the character selection screen, im just saying heavy samus would be a step in a fresh direction instead of throwing more of the same at samus

Last edited:

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Point of order, Samus is actually one of the heaviest characters in the game. You actually want Samus to have higher gravity.

Narpas_sword

Yea, it's only if fast falling samus and regular was on one character that I disagree with. Dark or fusion (fusion is the only game she falls fast in, dark samus would be more floaty tbh) as a separate character would be cool.

Special Moves would need a change up.
No bombs, because the full speed mucks up bomb jumping anyway.
Missiles too OP as they are (as i said, SHFF missiles is too good)
Fusion Samus wouldn't have grapple.

Alternatives -

A new angled screw attack, as fast falling + no bomb jumping and grapple gone means new recovery will be needed.
Perhaps one of the moves could be a shine spark (could be like wolfs >b)
Diffusion Missiles instead of charge beam (functions nearly similar to charge beam, except a non charged one is like a homing, semi charged like a super and fully charged is a super that explodes into a spread shot on impact/max range
Something like a speed booster?Or power bombs =D

Litt

Samus
Yea, it's only if fast falling samus and regular was on one character that I disagree with. Dark or fusion (fusion is the only game she falls fast in, dark samus would be more floaty tbh) as a separate character would be cool.

Alternatives -

A new angled screw attack, as fast falling + no bomb jumping and grapple gone means new recovery will be needed.
Diffusion Missiles instead of charge beam (functions nearly similar to charge beam, except a non charged one is like a homing, semi charged like a super and fully charged is a super that explodes into a spread shot on impact/max range
All i am saying, is the samus they envisioned for melee/brawl, does not have to be the character present in PM, and changing the weight/floatiness/fallspeed of a character is not that difficult for a starting point

Narpas_sword

No, it doesnt have to be the same as melee.
Though it would be a strange decision.

As I said, she's floaty in her games, is doesn't make sense to fastfall-ify her.
There are plenty of samus players who like her as she is.

Shes very different with heigh weight and floaty. There are many other characters to fit the faster falling category.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ

Alternatives -

Aside from fallspeed, though, Fusion Samus isn't particularly different from Samus. Dark Samus could actually get interesting. It could be given float, but also be a fast faller. The thing about Dark Samus in both games where it was actually is that it was blindingly fast, but would have moments where it'd float in place. Short short hops and fast falling would give it speed, and the float could give it that sense of floating with a special of some kind.

Actually, this has me feeling all creative, now.

It would be faster on the ground, with a different run animation, with good momentum install, but poor air control. Its jumpsquat would probably be around 6 frames. All Ice moves would have purple ice, if possible, and leave opponents with the dark effect. Nair, uair, fair and bair would basically be Ice Mode Samus moves, but dair would be a multi-hit phazon beam attack, with aura effect on hit. Nair might come out a frame later. Range might be slightly nerfed overall. Grounded moves would look the same as Ice Mode, but would likely have different knockback, damage and angles. Dsmash wouldn't go behind Samus, utilt could have a hitbox on the rising foot, and not meteor grounded coming down, etc. It would not have a grapple beam, and its throws would be a bit more powerful.

Its specials would be revamped to match its abilities from Echoes. Itscharge beam would fire the short ranged spread beam, and there would be more "beams" the more charged it got. It would have the phazon missiles, but they wouldn't be land cancelable. They would probably do less knockback and maybe even have less range. Instead of bomb, it would have the burst attack it used when Samus shot a missile or got too close. Instead of Screw Attack, it would have the dive bomb attack from Echoes, but going up instead of down.

Last edited:

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Fair enough, Float doesn't necessarily suit the character's in-game design. But I liked that it's attested in-game.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I think Metroid is a pretty cool guy. Eh kills aleins and doesn't afraid of anything.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Because CC shouldn't be rewritten as "invincible."

Oh, and Samus's stupidly good combo weight is one of her greatest assets @fasterfallspeed

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

Because CC shouldn't be rewritten as "invincible."

Oh, and Samus's stupidly good combo weight is one of her greatest assets @fasterfallspeed
Bit of a mixup throughout the topic.

By 'weight' people are meaning her fall-speed, not her weight.
CC is affected by weight.
Changing her fall-speed wont change the CC.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Bit of a mixup throughout the topic.

By 'weight' people are meaning her fall-speed, not her weight.
CC is affected by weight.
Changing her fall-speed wont change the CC.
Ya, hence why I put the second part @fasterfallspeed. I was just bored and felt like being snarky :3 RIP me. So it goes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom