• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is there not a match-up discussion?

QERB

Banned via Warnings
@QERB I think I have a couple of pointers you might want to work on.

first of all you are playing mario, mario has limited recovery options so you have better alternatives for edge guarding than the nair approach you tried a lot in the first game. Especially against someone like mario try edge hogging him. Even if he makes it back, the lag will give you the oppertunity to hit him with an arial or a hammer.

You didnt seem to go for the easier kill moves, fair works wonders on mario and dtilt to nair is also definetly lethal. Try integrating that into your game

Dont effing roll, simple as that you gotta get out of the habit. GAW's roll is very, VERY bad and has no advantage at all over WD'ing

I think you can tech mario's dthrow, Im not sure though.

Dont go to the edge if you dont need to it's just safer not to.
I think if you work on your spacing a little bit more you can beat mario's like this one easily and I hope this helps you a bit.

It seemed lke you didnt know the match up very well I put queston marks to you using arial pancakes in the first match and the hammer was also wrongly timed.
Thanks for the critiquing. My spacing in the first game on FoD was off, as well as the edge guarding, but by round 2/3 I feel that it was corrected.

Also, edge hogging Mario isn't as easy as it seems. Mario's up-b has a HUGE hitbox, so he can up-b as you're wd'ing onto the edge quite easily and you hit you with it.

If you're talking about grabbing the edge before he gets into up-range to land on the edge/stage, then it is nearly impossible to follow that with an aerial. Most likely Mario will force you to roll onto the stage to avoid getting hit with his up-b. I find it very difficult to maintain your invincibility frames on the edge against Mario (being that he has all these stall tactics such as down-b recovery and cape) and then let him land on the stage, and follow with an aerial or hammer as you said. Mario's recovery is limited, but it is not always predictable.

I've always had trouble with Mario's D-Throw, teching it is pretty difficult. If anyone knows any way around this please let me know because Mario has a mean jab cancel out of the d-throw.

Also, d-tilt to n-air is definitely something I already have integrated into my game. However, d-tilt to n-air is Definitely not lethal...Mario can DI away from the d-tilt at mid to high percentages. So if you can n-air out of a D-tilt for a kill, then the Mario would have very poor DI. D-throw to N-Air is a much better finisher imo. D-tilt to N-air only works at low/mid %'s, where I choose to go for the judgement hammer more.

The "aerial pancake" you were talking about was merely a showoff move....since the mario was already falling to his death. And rolling with G&W is not always bad (as cactuarz mentioned). Yes it should be limited, but in certain situations it may be a better alternative to wd.

I feel as though I do know this matchup fairly well, as I beat one of the better Mario's in NJ 3-1 in a set, and posted the set more as reference than help with the matchup.

Oh and edge-guarding with the n-air only works if you use it while being lower than mario (happened in round 2). If you try to n-air mario while he's under you, he will just up-b early and hit you with it (this happened to me in round 1). The most guaranteed edgeguard against mario is defintely the d-air. The problem with this though is that it does not have much horizontal knockback. So you would have to continually follow it, leaving more possible room for error.

Top Bottom