• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Sm4sh not played on CRT TVs?????

Vafe

Smash Rookie
I found out that I could play sm4sh on my CRT, was kinda late to the party. But then I started to realize. Why aren't tournament TVs CRTs.

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
No need to play on CRTs anymore with this new iteration. There isn't any, if not hardly any screen tearing issues with this game.

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
They're much bulkier, take up more room and harder to move than a small CPU monitor or flatscreen plus they look worse than HDMI. It would make for easy swapping from melee to smash 4 though. I'm sure TOs wouldn't mind.

Last edited:

CraigUK37

Underscore HERO
NNID
CraigUK37
Im almost certain that when I tried via CRT that it cut off a lot of stuff around the edges, maybe due to it going from a 16:9 signal down to a 4:3.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
It's basically what was said before.
The game looks far better in HDMI than it does in composite cables, CRTs have smaller screens with lower resolution and take up more space, and this is a 16:9 game you're cramming to a 4:3 screen.
I played the 360 version Call of Duty: Ghosts and Advanced Warfare in a 29' Toshiba CRT TV with 480p resolution. The numbers and small letters are confirmed unreadable, there's 1/10 of the screen missing on both sides of the screen, and there are black vertical bars under the game at all times. It wasn't nice. Especially since it was Ghosts, brrrr, what a terrible game that was
Not only do most if not all CRTs have no HDMI input while the 3 current gen consoles need them and they're your only option in 2 of them, even if you try to get a newer game running on them, you'll deal with crap like that.

All in all, leave your CRT for your older games and video games, like Melee, the SNES, rail shooters that use classic Light-guns...

Last edited:

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Smash 4 does not need to be upscaled to run on HD LCD TVs, so there's no lag. Melee is played on CRTs because there's noticeable lag on LCD screens, and Smash 4 doesn't have that.

Shaymojack

Smash Rookie
I can't think of a single reason in the world someone would use a CRT over an HDTV for smash 4. The only reason they're used for Melee (and maybe PM? I'm not sure) is because of input lag issues that not longer affect the Wii U over an HDMI connection. There's really no benefit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom