• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Robin so slow???

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
In the actual game during loading times it says Robin is the slowest runner in the entire game. I get why Jigglypuff and Ganondorf are slow runners, but Robin?

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
Let's not bash people please. It's not helping. @ Silverfox117 Silverfox117

Anyway, Robin's slow because Nintendo made him slow(even though people wanted him a little faster...he traveled the ****ing world on foot and boat).

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
He wasn't bashing anyone, he made a Fire Emblem joke saying Robin in Sm4sh chose Luck to be his dominating stat instead of Speed which is something you can do in FE:A

His low walk/run speed probably comes from how many traps he can set up with his tomes, it'd be overwhelming if he could run faster than anyone while locking you up with several moves

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Mages in RPGs are traditionally slow, since they prefer to strike from afar and have no real reason to rush into battle.

Robin is slow for balancing purposes: they're projectile-based zoners with a very powerful physical weapon, so being able to rushdown the opponent would be kinda broken.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
If Robin was fast he would be insanely good omg, but the spells along with the Levin sword definitely make up for it

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
In Awakening canon, Robin isn't a physically fit character. H/she is a book worm that probably never ran in his/her life.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
It's because those aren't legs under that coat! Robin is actually a ****** on magical stilts.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Lucina is a sword master, so she can treat the stilts are an extension of her body.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I always attributed running speed for FE characters to be dictated by just their movement number in their games. The speed stat is more about how fast they can throw their weapon around and how fast they can sidestep, lean, and anything else to evade incoming attacks in one spot. You don't need to have strong legs for that, you just need a strong arm (or mouth for the magic) for the former and good reflexes for the latter. Tormod for example has average base speed, but he's mentioned to be very fast on his feet in PoR, and he has the Celerity skill to prove that.

Marth and Ike can move a huge 7 spaces in their games.Lucina is based on Marth. Robin can only move 5 in his tactician class. Hence the lower speed.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Sakurai overestimated how powerful Robin's kit was, and slowed him down in an attempt to keep him balanced.

Janno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Janno123
how could she run fast while carrying all these books and swords

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Well, the character's speed stat from Fire Emblem doesn't necessarily translate into running speed. Those stats could very well showcase reaction speed, attack speed or some other kind of movement shift. This is why I wasn't surprised when Ike was made a mighty glacier despite having a high speed stat; when you actually see Ike fighting during normal gameplay or cutscenes he exudes roughness and strenght rather than swiftness, that is a trait that you would associate with assassins and swordmasters instead.

anas abou

Smash Journeyman
mages are low as **** in fire elm they are also vulnerable thank god sakurai didn't go full on accurate with robins weight or he would be **** tier

Atrabilious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Atrabilious
Sorcerer Robin best Robin.

Vantage/Vengeance/Wrath/Armsthrift/Limit Breaker + Aversa's Night = GG no re.

In any case, where Smash is concerned I think Robin's too slow, even with his impressive projectile game. I don't think they should catapult his/her speed way up the proverbial ranks but I don't think just a small buff to his/her running speed would be out of the question.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
Because he spent his years learning how to use magic to unmake creation and warp reality to his will instead of...jogging.

PeejsterM

Smash Cadet
He would probably be kinda op if Nintendo buff his movement speed imo.
I actually went and tested this out yesterday by giving Robin Speed Walker and Sprinter gear while keeping his scores as close to 0/0/0 as I could manage. The 30% speed increase would definitely make Robin an extremely threatening character in the hands of somebody who's more experienced with him than I am.

I have a replay of this if anybody's interested in seeing it, but my last recording corrupted and I'll have to record it again.

Last edited:

anas abou

Smash Journeyman
I actually went and tested this out yesterday by giving Robin Speed Walker and Sprinter gear while keeping his scores as close to 0/0/0 as I could manage. The 30% speed increase would definitely make Robin an extremely threatening character in the hands of somebody who's more experienced with him than I am.

I have a replay of this if anybody's interested in seeing it, but my last recording corrupted and I'll have to record it again.
let the people see

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Because he's a massive book nerd.

Nerds have been scientifically proven to be incapable of running well.

Allow Clemont to demonstrate.

PeejsterM

Smash Cadet
let the people see
I've edited and uploaded the recording (awful quality, audio out of sync), but I'm not sure whether to put it here or in the video thread, since it's a video that's directly related to something discussed in this topic, rather than a display of ability with the character under normal dircumstances.

With speed walker and sprinter, my Robin crosses Final Destination in a little over 2 seconds, almost the same speed as Mario.

Last edited:

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
The Robins are carrying two swords and like four heavy ass text books. Let's see you sprint to class like that.

PeejsterM

Smash Cadet
The Robins are carrying two swords and like four heavy *** text books. Let's see you sprint to class like that.
Items don't have weight values in Awakening, but the tactician class (Robin, Morgan, and Robin's second child) has as much Mov as lords (Chrom, Lucina) do, before and after promotion, and you can give them perfectly identical equipment too. So, balance aside, Robin should be about the same speed as Lucina.

Top Bottom