• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Is Luigi Considered a Relatively Bad Character?

L∈O

Smash Journeyman
Luigi's biggest problem, as Jekyll already said, is his recovery...

It covers great horizontal distance, but it's very linear, predictable and gimpable (although the opponents must watch out for a misfire if they will try to gimp Luigi), and extend it with the Cyclone is tough...

You need to do the move on the ground first, then when you use it, mash the button really fast, and when you land, "recharge" it, otherwise it is not gonna work for recovery if you try again...

Another problem of our dear Luigi is fireball's low utility as a projectile if compared to the others...

Griffard

Smash Ace
There are the easy mode answers like he gets shined, gimped easy etc. but honestly I think the reason is that to succeed at a high level, he needs consistent effort and creativity to succeed. Like fox, it's draining to put in all that work to keep playing well, but unlike fox he lacks super broken easy mode moves like shine, firefox, up smash etc..

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
What Griffard said pretty much...Although nair combos are luigi'is easy mode ;)
Nair -> dair.-> bye bye

U

гυιη

Smash Cadet
NNID
Unique
3DS FC
5198-2442-2813
Luigi is only as good as he is because of all of his auto combo's on higher tier characters. My friend plays Luigi at all of our local tournaments and as long as he remains unpredictable with all of his seemingly random wavedashing and dashing, he makes it easier for Luigi to approach unexpectedly. He's best Luigi in KY and competes up there with all the fox's falco's sheik's and CF's. It'll take you a lot of time, exhausting effort, and practice with autocombo's but once you get past Luigi's poor recovery you can use his full potential.

GCSChris

Smash Rookie
Luigi is only as good as he is because of all of his auto combo's on higher tier characters. My friend plays Luigi at all of our local tournaments and as long as he remains unpredictable with all of his seemingly random wavedashing and dashing, he makes it easier for Luigi to approach unexpectedly. He's best Luigi in KY and competes up there with all the fox's falco's sheik's and CF's. It'll take you a lot of time, exhausting effort, and practice with autocombo's but once you get past Luigi's poor recovery you can use his full potential.
Building off this, once a good luigi player gets in on Fox, Falco, Falcon, and other characters, but especially the fast fallers, it converts into a kill. His combos are kinda ridiculous on these characters and once you get comfortable vs all of their DI options and tech/no tech, etc. his combos are pretty easy. His nair is pretty ridiculous vs fast fallers as well, which can turn their combo into a conversion of your own.

гυιη

Smash Cadet
NNID
Unique
3DS FC
5198-2442-2813
Building off this, once a good luigi player gets in on Fox, Falco, Falcon, and other characters, but especially the fast fallers, it converts into a kill. His combos are kinda ridiculous on these characters and once you get comfortable vs all of their DI options and tech/no tech, etc. his combos are pretty easy. His nair is pretty ridiculous vs fast fallers as well, which can turn their combo into a conversion of your own.
I played against my friend's luigi again today and luigi's nair pisses me off because of priority. Just putting that out there

Top Bottom