• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Link lowest tier?

Zelda_Fan_

Smash Journeyman
Why is Link the lowest tier in ssb but somehow much much higher in the tier list on ssbm?

Zelda_Fan_

Smash Journeyman
That was one word, but I understand, now. hahahah
Somehow they slow down his usmash, give more lag to his dair, give his bair less knockback, make him a slow runner, but make his recovery awesome and now he's middle tier. :laugh:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Link is low tier in soul calibur too. I friggin' hate link.

But he's top tier in zelda. So I love link there, as he was my childhood hero.

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
well answering the question in the topic it's because they are two different games. Link got improved, samus got improved, pika, kirby, ness all got nerfed and the rest kinda stayed the same.

Link in this game I believe is misplaced, his ability off the stage isn't an instant reason to put him in bottom tier. He should be changed to be in low, right above luigi or yoshi.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Well, I occasionally see Yoshi and Luigi in tournaments, and even sometimes Samus (rarely though), but I've actually never seen Link in a serious match.

felix45

Smash Lord
I'd say the combo of his bad recovery and bad grab set him at the bottom. same for samus (well link can combo whereas samus cant but you know what I mean)

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
who cares about tiers
People who can't own everyone with every character ;)

I dont care about tiers, they matter way less in ssb then in ssbm IMO. Once you get hit by any good player using any character you're usually dead so it's pure mindgames to get that one hit and then push the combo.

Not that simple though, DI and whatnot blah blah blah, but ya I dont think tiers matter that much in ssb.

and yes I remember my emo thread about sensei killing me with link and me hating myself for being beaten by bottom tier. Realized the error of my mindset.

Zelda_Fan_

Smash Journeyman
Link is low tier in soul calibur too. I friggin' hate link.

But he's top tier in zelda. So I love link there, as he was my childhood hero.
In soul calibur two he can just grab people with his awesome throw and throw them off the stage. That's how I beat the whole game. @_@

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Aren't you the same Zelda_Fan_ over at Nsider that I turned into a tier-believer? You used to be one of those guys convinced that it "all depends on who's playing the character" lol

But yeah, Link is low tier because of his recovery. Other than that he's superb, which is why he deserves a little higher in my opinion.

Zelda_Fan_

Smash Journeyman
Aren't you the same Zelda_Fan_ over at Nsider that I turned into a tier-believer? You used to be one of those guys convinced that it "all depends on who's playing the character" lol

But yeah, Link is low tier because of his recovery. Other than that he's superb, which is why he deserves a little higher in my opinion.
I spent a very, very brief period of time on the smash board at Nsider, back when I was a noob who charged my smashes and didn't know what shffling was, and I thought I was one of the best.

I still believe it's the player. =P

Proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcjJAlS8lLk&NR=1

Pwned.

Also, for ssbm: germ, aniki

For brawl I will main link no matter what. ^_^

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I spent a very, very brief period of time on the smash board at Nsider, back when I was a noob who charged my smashes and didn't know what shffling was, and I thought I was one of the best.

I still believe it's the player. =P
And you're right. Player skill matters above all. At an equal skill level, thats when tiers come into play. Its not one or the other, its both.

and not even an equal level between to nubcakes, equal at like top level tournament play, thats what the tiers are for.

Oh and Germ sucks. don't use him as an example. Next you're gonna link me to Shined Blind.

Zelda_Fan_

Smash Journeyman
And you're right. Player skill matters above all. At an equal skill level, thats when tiers come into play. Its not one or the other, its both.

and not even an equal level between to nubcakes, equal at like top level tournament play, thats what the tiers are for.

Oh and Germ sucks. don't use him as an example. Next you're gonna link me to Shined Blind.
If germ sucks then who would you consider a good link user?

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
If germ sucks then who would you consider a good link user?
Aniki, he beat ken didn't he? Germ is in DBR. Nuff said. Ever see the vids of isai four stocking germ without even trying?

But germs apparantly plays falco now, and he is pretty **** good at smash, better than me probably.

by ''suck'' I mean ''not the best in the entire world''

I used to be a germ fanboy like 3 years ago, thought he was the best, mained link, all that. Till I realized, oh wait link is a terrible character.

Zelda_Fan_

Smash Journeyman
Aniki, he beat ken didn't he? Germ is in DBR. Nuff said. Ever see the vids of isai four stocking germ without even trying?

But germs apparantly plays falco now, and he is pretty **** good at smash, better than me probably.

by ''suck'' I mean ''not the best in the entire world''

I used to be a germ fanboy like 3 years ago, thought he was the best, mained link, all that. Till I realized, oh wait link is a terrible character.
I never said germ was "the best in the entire world".

Link is not a terrible character. But that is getting into ssbm and if you want to continue this debate drop me a PM.

I must be a real smash noob, I've only seen a few dozen vids of aniki and germ fighting random people from links on the Link forum. So I have no idea who ken is or who you are. I've seen like two vids of Isai, but I hear people worshiping him and stuff. Where can I like, go to get informed about all of these famous smash people? @_@

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master

Link is not a terrible character. But that is getting into ssbm and if you want to continue this debate drop me a PM.

I must be a real smash noob, I've only seen a few dozen vids of aniki and germ fighting random people from links on the Link forum. So I have no idea who ken is or who you are. I've seen like two vids of Isai, but I hear people worshiping him and stuff. Where can I like, go to get informed about all of these famous smash people? @_@
video section? Youtube? Only way to find out about em is by watching em play. I've seen thousands of smash matches myself.

nope, you didn't. Don't mind me Im just extremly anti DBR because of youtube fanboys thinking zelgadis is the best fox player when in reality he's nothing special.

Umbrasquall

Smash Ace
Take the melee debate to the melee forums please. lol Don't taint the pure and good 64 forum.

Dark_Ermac

Smash Apprentice
In soul calibur two he can just grab people with his awesome throw and throw them off the stage. That's how I beat the whole game. @_@
Round I

FIGHT!

Link: TUYAH!!! TUYAH!!! TUYAH!!!

Ring Out!

Round II

FIGHT!

Link: TUYAH!!! TUYAH!!! TUYAH!!!

Ring Out!

Link Wins!

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Tiers often behave differently between the games. The melee community, as far as I know, doesnt take into account the millions of players that stay at home, only the top players are recognized and make a distinct change in the tiers. As for SSB64, people take their opinions from online play, which is about the worst decider of tiers ever. And since every nub on Kallera is a throw god, link obviously becomes the lowest of the low due to lack of recovery.

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
Tiers often behave differently between the games. The melee community, as far as I know, doesnt take into account the millions of players that stay at home, only the top players are recognized and make a distinct change in the tiers. As for SSB64, people take their opinions from online play, which is about the worst decider of tiers ever. And since every nub on Kallera is a throw god, link obviously becomes the lowest of the low due to lack of recovery.

what the hell are you talking about? why would be base tiers on noobs?

rokimomi

Smash Lord
No one takes into account anymore the combo ability. At least not the majority. It's always recovery. And that's not really implimented if the link can combo you to hell.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Ok first off, you're wrong. Secondly, you're really wrong. Third off who told you this ****? they're wrong.

Ok, tiers are based on the highest level of tournament play, therefore joe and sally smith who sit at home playing melee do not have their matches factored in the tier placements because pretty much any tournament goer could 3-4 stock them.

LOL if you think ssb tiers were decided by kaillera. oh man Im cracking up so hard :laugh:

Get educated before you post, of you're just going to be a clown.

By the way, not only is link the worst recovery ever, he's a FAST FALLER. therefore a captain falcon player who knows his uair hitbox as soon as he lands a fthrow or a usmash on link at a low percentage can knock him wayyy further off the stage than link can make it back.

Fast fallers are -easssy- to combo. So link is an easy combo target, and he cant recover. Not a good mix.

yes, played perfectly he's incredibly strong due to his disjointed hitbox, sword priority and double projectile mayhem and epic combos.

But... *thinks for a minute* oh wait, that applies to every character in ssb64. Tiers dont matter so much in this game if you're amazing with your character.

But in a tournament link and samus just plain cant beat a good roll thrower, which gives them such a low spot.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Lol, all gang up on me, k. What decides SSB tiers? I'll even point out, ive never been pro tier. And for future reference, don't use C.Falcon as a combo example, he can combo everyone easily. Roll throwers can't beat mindgames cuz they roll...and throw...Anyways, you do have a point there and I take my statement back. I also dont see a single tier in this game that has referenced a tourney. It's all personal play. So far, kallera is too un organized to introduce this level of ranking. If i'm wrong there, point me out. Ive only seen a couple ranking systems and none of them seem to do any good.

Plae the gaem.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
But in a tournament link and samus just plain cant beat a good roll thrower, which gives them such a low spot.
What are you talking about? Samus destroys roll throwers, and she also survives throws way longer than most characters in the game. The only thing that holds back Samus is her lack of combos.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Dylan, Link probably is probably classified much more as a heavy character than a fastfaller. And highest level of tournament play, roll throwing isn't, which kinda contradicts you're argument about tiers :p

And Link's bad recovery a combination of spin attack + hilariously short 2nd jump.

Box_of_Fox

Smash Journeyman
Not only the distance of the recovery, but the lack of options for unpredictability. His up-B is easier to edge-guard.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Good points. sorry for getting ahead of myself. I heard something in another thread about roll throwing being a reson behind the laggy grabbers low tiers, anyonce care to explain?

and yes, link doesnt fall fast but hes heavy, confusing ssbm and ssb64, sorry once again.

Point being link is easy to combo and cant make it back. Not top tier material. Question answered? I think so.

Yes, if you totally kick *** with link a la Malva you can own almost anything, or everything itself but the tiers consider top level play (aside from isai I presume since he owns us all with everyone) at an equal level and the chances each character has of victory in those circumstances.

Also, tier discussions are boring... just get on kaillera :)

Top Bottom