• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is it bad to use the analog stick to jump?

JapanGuy

Smash Cadet
Okay, someone explain to me why using the buttons to jump is more effective than using the analog stick. I personally believe that as long as the player is comfortable with their play style they can become a tournament level player, regardless whether they use the buttons or analog stick.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
So correct me if I'm wrong, it isn't considered a bad way of playing the game, just a less preferred way.
Exactly. It's not looked down on, it's just less practical to try to use up tilts and up airs in the heat of battle when you have to worry about accidentally jumping instead.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
yes just a less preferred way. Those of us who played smash 64 and played it like we were training for tournaments had to deal with the analog stick, which sometimes got in the way but we mostly got used to not pressing up in such a way that we would jump. I don't remember if we could turn it off in Melee, but whether it was in Melee or Brawl that we could turn it off it was godsent. I actually believe that those that can learn to play with the analog stick as well actually have a small advantage as long as they never or almost never accidentally jump with it, in those rare circumstances where it's slightly faster to be able to jump with that to pull off whatever it is one wants to do. I recently played a little smash 64 again and it's sad how the controller became so foreign to me, the **** I used to be able to do and my skill level in 64 is all gone now....and with the analog stick being set to jump at all times I almost wondered how I ever dealt with it.

Last edited:

TheSuperiorOne

Smash Cadet
ZeRo uses tap jump. It makes it easy to use up smash and up special out of shield. You just have to be careful when doing utilts and use the c stick for uairs. Using the c stick in the air is better anyway as it allows for more mobility.

Last edited:

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
I still use tap-jump. Using the Wii-U pro controller I found that setting a button, or in my case a trigger to jump, could allow easier shorthops. Strangely, I seem to shorthop with more consistency with the thumbstick... It's weird...

I also set the c-stick to tilts, to give me greater access to my tilts. I tend to use it mostly for tilts, sometimes for aerials, and probably have been sleeping on it, but it still opens up my control options.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
I prefer button-jumping, and it always irks me a bit playing 64/Melee since there's no toggle in those.

But yeah, it's all preference. Each system has perks, but on the whole there is nothing control-scheme exclusive, to my knowledge.

Kodachi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GhOsT-KoDa
The real question is, who still hasn't adapted to the claw ;)

D

Deleted member

I find myself doing both, using the analog and the jump button.
I'm not sure if that's a bad habit or not >.<

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
I use both, it really depends on what you're trying to do and more importantly, what you are more comfortable with. Here are some personal examples in Smash4 (I could go on and on in other games):

RAR back air: Jump button + A
Short hop anything: Jump button
Full jump up-air (Falcon): Analog stick + A
Up smash out of shield: Analog stick + C-stick up (as opposed to jump button + smash attack up)
Certain auto-cancelled aerials: Analog stick + C-stick (Ike's fair)

So really, don't let anyone tell you otherwise so long as you can do whatever it is you want to do. This goes for any input in general. If you can do it with ease, why change it?

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
I find myself doing both, using the analog and the jump button.
I'm not sure if that's a bad habit or not >.<
Not really, I guess it's nice having the flexibility there and having slightly more options that may be better for you in certain situations. I wish I could use tap jump, I'd imagine it'd be beneficial for me in certain situations.

I personally can't use tap jump. I find myself accidentally jumping all the time, so I just had to turn it off. I've always got my fingers near the jump button anyway, so it doesn't affect me much. I mean even if I wasn't happy with where the jump button was situated I could always change it.

Pepto_Bismol

Smash Rookie
Really depends on how comfy you are with tap jump. I personally find it difficult to perform up tilts and falling up airs without performing a second jump, so I turn it off.

Defex

Smash Cadet
NNID
toot1231
a lot of ties it depends on the character if it hurts or helps.
Yoshi for example is a character that benefits using tap jump.

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
its not a bad thing, i believe m2k played brawl without tap jump for example

tap jump off just makes things easier

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Speaking of areals using the C-stick: Anyone else having some...problems with it? I mean, sometimes when I try to use Fair with the C stick, the character uses Nair instead O.o Is that normal, am I doing something wrong? xP

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of areals using the C-stick: Anyone else having some...problems with it? I mean, sometimes when I try to use Fair with the C stick, the character uses Nair instead O.o Is that normal, am I doing something wrong? xP
If you input a perfect diagonal on your c-stick if will do a neutral input. I'm not 100% sure if it matters what your c-stick is set to, but it is known that c-stick diagonal = neutral a (which means you can also jab with it I believe if it is set to attack).

Polen

Smash Rookie
I turned it off because it was hard for me to do up-tilts and was basically just uncomfortable for me.
It's all personal preference I guess.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I use the analog stick. It's easier for me to maintain movement constantly while using it instead of breaking away to use a button. Just my personal preference.

16bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
imsl1msh4dy
3DS FC
3136-7059-5966
I physically cannot use tap jump, but it's personal preference. I mean, when ever I play a platform now, I accidentally hit X :/

Espyo

Smash Apprentice
You can use the analog stick to jump if you want to, sure thing. But there are ARE disadvantages compared to using a face button. They're minimal, but can make a difference. I'll also list differences that only apply when tap-jump is on, so keep that in mind.

• With the analog stick, If you want to jump while running or moving in the air, you'll have to change the stick from holding right (or left) to going diagonal. This results in a lesser "right" input, meaning you will lose speed. This might depend on the game, though.
  • If you want to short hop with the stick, it may be next to impossible. Either you get good at it, and can pull it off just like any face-button-user, or you'll be spending some of your energy and focus trying to get that stick input just right.
  • If you want to use an up-aerial attack using the analog stick (specially if your C-stick is set to do something like specials), you'll have to be careful not to smash the stick up, otherwise you'll double-jump. This is not a problem with tap-jump disabled.
  • If you want to do an up-strong attack and you're still not comfortable with lightly tilting the stick to do so, then you'll smash the stick before pressing A. With tap-jump on, this will make you jump, but with it off, you won't. It's rare to hold the stick upwards in order to "get ready" for an up-strong attack, in an actual battle, but for stuff like Multi-Man challenges, where you know the opponent is coming, it's advantageous to hold the stick up, ready to press A.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Tap jump makes it way too hard for me to do things that are MUCH easier by pressing a button. It doesn't feel natural to me. There's nothing wrong with using it though, it's all based on preference.

Robd321

Smash Rookie
I also use both method depending on the situation. I always tap jump for short hops and analog for full jumps. Tap jump if I want more speed and control in the air.

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
Jeez this question is run into the ground along with everything else related such as tap jump/controller preferences. Listen people... if you yourself can do everything you need to be able to do with the method you choose then who the hell cares. If it hinders you from doing something you can't do then what do you think you need to do?

JWai

Smash Cadet
NNID
PKMNTrainerJBA
3DS FC
2079-9197-0430
I first started playing Smash with tap jump and I hated it. I always used X to jump, so I would get irked whenever I accidentally jumped when doing an up air. A few months later I turned it off and everything felt better. I recently changed R to jump so I could do OoS upB, so that wasn't an issue

TheBlackLuffy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBlackLuffy
Switch FC
8040 1413 9929
I say to each his own. Some people have their reasons as of to why they don't have it on. Some like it.

I like it. I tried to take it off. But I just got used to using :GCY: for when I want to Short Hop.

Became Muscle Memory.

Top Bottom