• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Ike’s nair impossible to counter?

Perfect patricia

Smash Apprentice
I’m not asking for nerfs but why is this move spammable,leads to up air, and virtually no cool down? Seems kinda overkill

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Just learn to keep your distance and punish when they spam. You’ll get no sympathy from me. Or anyone.

NerfAkira

Smash Rookie
uh... parry threatens to make this move unusable in competitive is used well enough. its not safe at all on parry

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
uh... parry threatens to make this move unusable in competitive is used well enough. its not safe at all on parry
What is it with smash rookies with no pfps and like 2 posts always saying the dumbest things?

Literally everything you said was wrong. A properly spaced nair is not punishable via parrying by most of the cast. Ike can act incredibly quick upon landing. Parrying nair is only useful if the ike player misspaces horribly, which only bad players do.

Last edited:

Banjobeast158

Smash Apprentice
NNID
banjobeast158
I’m not asking for nerfs but why is this move spammable,leads to up air, and virtually no cool down? Seems kinda overkill
It will depend on how good the Ike is. If they are the type to throw it out every second or so, you can attempt to punish (it comes out slower in the air compared to something like Marth Fair or Bair). Throwing out faster aerials can scare the Ike into using it less "spammy". If you are against a better Ike that tends to space Nair/Fair well, it can be much harder to punish. Try and be patient; try and get the Ike to approach, threaten his air space with your own faster air moves, or you can parry. I, myself, don't usually parry because I do not have the technique down, but if you can get more consistent it makes it much more difficult for Ike to pressure you safely.

It will depend on how good the Ike is. If they are the type to throw it out every second or so, you can attempt to punish (it comes out slower in the air compared to something like Marth Fair or Bair). Throwing out faster aerials can scare the Ike into using it less "spammy". If you are against a better Ike that tends to space Nair/Fair well, it can be much harder to punish. Try and be patient; try and get the Ike to approach, threaten his air space with your own faster air moves, or you can parry. I, myself, don't usually parry because I do not have the technique down, but if you can get more consistent it makes it much more difficult for Ike to pressure you safely.
Also, It is a very good move, but without it, Ike would become much less viable. It is better for the player base to learn how to deal with it rather than nerfing one of his best attacks. If it remains too safe (like T-Donor said) and keeps the kill confirms/combos then there might need to be adjustments. It is still too early to tell if the move is overtuned.

DID NOT MEAN TO DOUBLE POST

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Stuff it out with an anti-air or a fast air to air because he has to wait and thenfast fall it for it to be safe. Some characters make it hard for him to space it properly due to their speed also. There isn't much you can do by shielding it. Ike is pretty much completely safe unless he screws up the spacing because it's only about -5 on shield which is amazing for a move with that range.

Last edited:

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
I don't know you but I can counter it just fine... All you need is a bigger disjoint, a projectile, or, well, a counter.

Haden

If life is so fair, why do roses have thorns?
i actually am not one to frequently use this attack because it gets parried pretty hard. i tend to favor downtilt and uptilt more nowadays.
just learn to parry and he is free fodder for the blastzone

Mister.Kim1

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2558-6837-3970
Oh look, free KOs from tis guy.

But seriously, as Ike main, I'll tell you this:

Space out, using his landing lag as your chance to attack or hit him head on with faster Nair. I have trouble countering :ultpalutena: due to her quicker Nair, which forces me to compromise my play style.

DeDeDIke

Smash Apprentice
I found Palutena to be a hard matchup for our boy Ike. Her Nair does come out quicker, but you still outrange her in the air. I'd say play it safe, use lots of tilts and other aerials to rack damage up. Besides, Palu's so light that she dies at 40% to a fully charged f-smash.

Top Bottom