• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Hbox the best puff by such a wide margin?

koKoRoro

Smash Cadet
I've watched tons of his games, and I feel like nothing he does is extremely special. There must be something that he does that makes him the best puff in the world. Can anyone help me out here? :)

Wreckarooni

Smash Apprentice
To me it's quite obvious -

1. He actually takes his combos as far as possible, has better spacing, and more complex movement (less predictable).
2. He rarely misses a rest set up and is always looking for them at the right times (and inventing some as he goes)
3. He ACTUALLY edgeguards correctly, when a Puff gets a spacie or CF off stage it should always easily lead to a stock. Hbox is the only one that edgeguards correctly and aggressively with Jiggs.
4. He has a faster reaction time and more optimal punishes.
5. He incorporates crouching > rests on whiffed moves and throws better than other Puffs.

The Young Izzy Iz

Smash Apprentice
He does things you don't see a lot of other puffs doing. For example: crouching into wavedash forward/backward to avoid spacie laser pressure. With Jiggs' decreased profile she's able to just duck the lasers even if they're short-hop spammed. You see him do other things occasionally like ducking JC grabs into wavedash'd rest. There's really a ton more tech specific stuff but the basics are that he's able to push the character to the limits of its capabilities and, more importantly, is able to do so in a consistent manner.

chrbir5

Smash Cadet
I think it's because puff is secretly mid tier but has just had amazing player playing her for so long because rest.
She has amazing tools, but she dies so early and gets wrecked by really heavy pressure.

trusty

Smash Apprentice
Yes to all of this. Hbox basically takes the four or five best moves jiggs has and combines them with his unreal sense of timing to totally max out her efficiency in a way few, if any, players have with any character. His application of matchup knowledge and technical skills are just unreal with the character. It's crazy to see the change too, as when he started it was all bair, pound, rest, repeat. I don't use jigglyouff any more Mainly because I'm focused on PM but he remains my favorite of the top melee players.

chrbir5

Smash Cadet
Yes to all of this. Hbox basically takes the four or five best moves jiggs has and combines them with his unreal sense of timing to totally max out her efficiency in a way few, if any, players have with any character. His application of matchup knowledge and technical skills are just unreal with the character. It's crazy to see the change too, as when he started it was all bair, pound, rest, repeat. I don't use jigglyouff any more Mainly because I'm focused on PM but he remains my favorite of the top melee players.
While I agree with you, there was something I overheard him talking to armada about at FC return. I'm pretty sure he was just trying to get in A's head, but he said 'sometime after a tournament I realized that for the most part, I just straight up forgot to l cancel lol.' or something along those lines.

I still think he's hyper technical with certain things, but he's no tech fiend. He just has, as you said, unreal timing.

trusty

Smash Apprentice
While I agree with you, there was something I overheard him talking to armada about at FC return. I'm pretty sure he was just trying to get in A's head, but he said 'sometime after a tournament I realized that for the most part, I just straight up forgot to l cancel lol.' or something along those lines.

I still think he's hyper technical with certain things, but he's no tech fiend. He just has, as you said, unreal timing.
Yeah I remember reading he uses some really weird options on his controller, like he L cancels with z and jumps with tap. But he has rly strong technical skills in things that are pretty uncommon or unique, namely his ability to throw spacies off, tech chase and wavedash into some straight bizarre stuff. He's the only player I've ever seen who wave dashes into crouch constantly, for example. He's not like armada or m2k or ppmd but he makes it work

Squelchyman

Smash Cadet
I totally agree, Mango was definitely the better puff back when he mained her, but after changing mains has allowed Hungrybox to become the best puff right now.

Top Bottom