• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Fox always top tier?

Crosstails20

Smash Journeyman
Now I know that you will pull up that fox isn't top tier in Brawl, but Falco his clone is top tier. Can anyone explain why fox is almost always top tier?

Nah

Smash Champion
Fox's basic design is just one that works well in this sort of game is all. It's the same reason why fatties have never been top or high tier in the series.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
You'd be surprised how different Falco and Fox are in any Smash game. It's easy to dismiss them as exactly the same, but their gameplan and functionalities are rather different if you get deep into the games.

But anyways, why is Fox good in (nearly) all smash games? It's a question that really requires a lot of explanation considering how every smash games are radically different, but here is the tl;dr explanation. Fox can...
-Approach well
-Force opponents to approach well
-Combo well
-Kill well
-Can move around really well (which makes him hard to hit and hard to avoid)

It's these traits that honestly make him very good in most of the smash games.

Crosstails20

Smash Journeyman
Nah there have been top tiers who have been large like Wario in Brawl, King dedede In brawl, and rosaluma in Smash 4

Nah

Smash Champion
Nah there have been top tiers who have been large like Wario in Brawl, King dedede In brawl, and rosaluma in Smash 4
I mean, yeah there were those, but they are exceptions, and 2 of the 3 (not that I'd exactly classify Rosa as a fatty tho) are more because they have some completely ridiculous aspects rather than that they made a fatty design that actually works.

But my main point--that Fox has always been good because of his core design--still stands.

GLORY12HOUND

Smash Cadet
Foxs main idea and playstyle just works and always tends to be top tier because he has combos and a good neutral.

Top Bottom