• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is For Glory aka For Tryhards?

Spazzy

Smash Apprentice
From what I've played against, it has mainly seem like people there on For Glory do not care about playing fair or having a good time more about playing to win. There has been examples of this such as a campy projectile character like Wii Fit Trainer. There seems to be no reason to try and play to win instead of play to improve/have fun considering only you can see your own stats. Does anyone else agree that For Glory is taken too seriously?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
It is called For Glory for a reason :p

Spazzy

Smash Apprentice
It is called For Glory for a reason :p
Yeah but there's no online ranking system or a matchmaking system either, its just random. The only for glory part is its competitive ruleset. I just don't see a point in trying so hard for nothing that even matters

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Yeah but there's no online ranking system or a matchmaking system either, its just random. The only for glory part is its competitive ruleset. I just don't see a point in trying so hard for nothing that even matters
It does have a matchmaking system, you know? It matches you up with people that have similar W/L ratios.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Why not put effort into winning? You're not as likely to win by not trying your best, and people play to win because that's the goal of the game. Winning itself is fun.

Four Leaf

Smash Journeyman
Some of us like to play to win. It's not taken "too seriously" , it's for players who want to get a feel for how a person would play their character seriously at a tournament scene. If that involves a villager or DhD who NEVER approaches, I want practice against that online. It doesn't matter if it seems "not fair" or "cheap". I want them to play me how they'd play if money were on the line. Playing anything other than 1v1 online isn't good practice due to lag in multi player games often.

20141008_211045.jpg

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
This should be a fun thread to watch. No, For Glory is not taken too seriously. It's a game, and people want to win. Besides, you hear about a lot of acts of good sportsmanship, i.e. If you botch your recovery, I've had people hop off the edge to make it fair.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
I think lag is to blame for this. The laughable input lag makes anything that requires precision more dangerous, which includes close range footsies and combos. However, camping and spamming is no less dangerous because all you have to do is sit back and mash B. It's also harder to deal with for the other player because they won't be able to powershield properly or time running shields properly.

Raijinken

Smash Master
It's actually really hard to shoot that can properly with stop-and-go lag...

But yea, if the game is flowing any less than perfectly, I don't trust it to take my inputs correctly, and will fall back on zoning until higher damage.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
It's For Glory for a reason dude.

Op needs to stop whining (For tryhards? You are now on my blacklist for using that word. All I can imagine now is a little idiot whining "Omg look their using techniques that are better than mine and playing freely! They're such TRYHARDS FOR NOT USING THE CHARACTER THAT I WANT THEM TO USE AND THE MOVES THAT I WANT THEM TO USE!")

Please go play For Fun instead k? k.

Four Leaf

Smash Journeyman
I think lag is to blame for this. The laughable input lag makes anything that requires precision more dangerous, which includes close range footsies and combos. However, camping and spamming is no less dangerous because all you have to do is sit back and mash B. It's also harder to deal with for the other player because they won't be able to powershield properly or time running shields properly.
I agree with this to some degree. I'm surprised how many people have really poor internet. I feel like half the people I play are sitting in a McDonalds using the free wifi lol. I also feel like these players roll a lot more. Powershielding when someone is making the connection bad is almost impossible. I still don't understand why people would even bother playing 1v1 for glory when they have really poor internet and know it will lag.

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
I agree with this to some degree. I'm surprised how many people have really poor internet. I feel like half the people I play are sitting in a McDonalds using the free wifi lol. I also feel like these players roll a lot more. Powershielding when someone is making the connection bad is almost impossible. I still don't understand why people would even bother playing 1v1 for glory when they have really poor internet and know it will lag.
Maybe they are sometimes just kids that got the game and don't know how bad their internet is? I know I used to have terribad internet till a few months ago I looked into it more, thinking I wasn't the one causing the lag but found out I was actually given the wrong speeds all this time.

Spazzy

Smash Apprentice
I just find it unfun when someone goes into For Glory and determines to do nothing but win so they pick characters that they know are bad against lag such as projectile characters. Smash 4 is probably the most fun smash game in the series but everyone is trying to force a competitive scene on it thus creating cheap tactics and making the game unfun and using the lag as their advantage.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
I just find it unfun when someone goes into For Glory and determines to do nothing but win so they pick characters that they know are bad against lag such as projectile characters. Smash 4 is probably the most fun smash game in the series but everyone is trying to force a competitive scene on it thus creating cheap tactics and making the game unfun and using the lag as their advantage.
Wow man you must be psychic. How could you possibly know that just because their character has projectiles, they're doing it do beat lag. They don't even know if the match will have lag. Just because a character has projectiles, do you honestly think the player is going to gimp their own character by not using one of its moves? How can you possibly know your opponent's reasoning behind his character?

keninblack

Smash Cadet
Some people might actually MAIN those characters, and some of them might not be able to attend a local that day or something so to practice for upcoming tournaments they try to get simple and quick practice online.

Or I could be wrong and everyone hates fun that makes more sense yeah.

AZYG4LYFE

Smash Rookie
NNID
AZYG4LYFE
3DS FC
4682-8894-0134
Well, coming from a competitive tournament background myself, the best thing you can ever do is just take the loss and move on, if they're using projectiles vs you and you get hit, well you have to focus more on your movement and spacing aka defensive approach.

Rahfal

Smash Rookie
I do wish they did a non-competitive 1v1 online mode. After practicing with a new character versus computers, I try it out in For Glory. If I manage to beat them, what usually happens is that they switch to somebody like ZSS who is a pain to fight against and wins. Not complaining they chose ZSS more than I'm complaining about there not being a 1v1 non-competitive scene (that is online and not through a friend list). It would give us more time to practice characters before going For Glory.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
I feel you with the spammy-ness, but don't let it discourage you. I've seen very few "cheap" tactics, mostly just a bunch of ones that are boring to fight. I do wonder sometimes why there's no 1-on-1 in For Fun.(stock mode, of course.) I would've actually played that every now and then.

Four Leaf

Smash Journeyman
Some people are going to use cheap tactics whether or not there is lag. This is tried and tested in a every smash game to date. There is always "that guy" and sometimes it's M2K camping out the clock like he did in brawl.

People play to win. There is nothing more or less. When you have money on the line, you don't have to be showy or a crowd pleaser. Do you think Ice climbers are impressive to watch after they wobble from 40-90 into a charged up smash? No... does it win, yes. You're missing a key concept in this mode. Items are off, 1v1, and all neutral stages. It's tournament practice mode, more or less.

Hopefully they release a practice 1v1 that's more casual, but for now, don't complain about how people play in a mode that encourages them to win, however they see fit.

MrH3z

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mr.Hez
3DS FC
1736-2566-4516
but dude this is just the baby stages of the online community when the wii u version releases, the online scene will change. as in get more competitive and all those cheap tactics will be obsolete or top tier tactics. and what do you mean force a competitive scene? :0 its a fighting game...and you went to the one on one area. ??????????? why not just do for fun? who cares about lag if you're playing for fun? if you want to get serious, come back to for glory. if REALLY want to get seriously competitive come back to for glory on the wii u. if you don't, play smash mode offline and set your own rules to for glory mode and set the cpu to level 9.....

some people, like me, plan to go to tourney with this game. so i take every loss seriously. money and glory is exactly what it is....you don't get either by be considerate that your opponent has a laggy connection or can't short hop fast enough. Not my problem.

tl;dr: Play smash mode offline with for glory rules. Leave the competitive mode to the competitive players.

Spazzy

Smash Apprentice
Wow man you must be psychic. How could you possibly know that just because their character has projectiles, they're doing it do beat lag. They don't even know if the match will have lag. Just because a character has projectiles, do you honestly think the player is going to gimp their own character by not using one of its moves? How can you possibly know your opponent's reasoning behind his character?
You can tell if the match will be laggy if the CSS is laggy when you switch costumes on character selection.

well you have to focus more on your movement and spacing aka defensive approach.
It's hard to improve spacing and approaches with the lag that the game has also all maps being Final Destination versions doesn't help the cause because no platforms for helping with spacing and movement.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
That still doesn't justify the fact that you blame people for playing certain characters that could very well be their main. To me, this is just a rant thread. People are trying to give you advice here, but you seem to stubborn to take it in properly. Besides, if every match is so laggy, I think you need to get better internet if it means that much to you.

Four Leaf

Smash Journeyman
It's hard to improve spacing and approaches with the lag that the game has also all maps being Final Destination versions doesn't help the cause because no platforms for helping with spacing and movement.
If most matches are lagging for you, it's probably not the opponent. How often do you have a solid connection match and how does that go for you? Do you still feel the same as when it does lag?

Spazzy

Smash Apprentice
If most matches are lagging for you, it's probably not the opponent. How often do you have a solid connection match and how does that go for you? Do you still feel the same as when it does lag?
The matches have solid connection, it's not major lag like frames dropping or loading times but more so input lag which I find as a major disadvantage. I do understand that if I have the input lag so does the other player but it's just more difficult to execute combos with input lag.

Four Leaf

Smash Journeyman
The matches have solid connection, it's not major lag like frames dropping or loading times but more so input lag which I find as a major disadvantage. I do understand that if I have the input lag so does the other player but it's just more difficult to execute combos with input lag.
I think you just need to put in some more time to familiarize yourself with the timing. I have 100 Down / 35 Up alone to myself in my apartment and I never have any lag unless someone else gives me lag. I also have beaten people who spam a lot with ike and DK while it's lagging. I don't seem to mind them spamming at me because I know that I'll outplay them if they continue to do that. You learn their habits, find an opening and punish them hard.

no1butmenotu

Smash Cadet
From what I've played against, it has mainly seem like people there on For Glory do not care about playing fair or having a good time more about playing to win. There has been examples of this such as a campy projectile character like Wii Fit Trainer. There seems to be no reason to try and play to win instead of play to improve/have fun considering only you can see your own stats. Does anyone else agree that For Glory is taken too seriously?
This is pretty much the point of this mode. Even though this is the case, I decided not to take it seriously. I usually bounce from doing 1vs1s to free for alls depending on boredom.

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
If you think other people are taking for Glory too seriously, aka "tryhards", then doesn't that imply that maybe you are taking For Glory too seriously? I'm not trying to incite an argument or anything like that...but that irony just kind of sticks out at me.

Just try to have fun with it...don't worry about what the other person is trying to do. Try to overcome it if you can. If you don't like the general "attitude" of players in For Glory (aka, "not playing fair"), then get some friend codes online of people that will play fair and have a fun time.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
You can tell if the match will be laggy if the CSS is laggy when you switch costumes on character selection.
That is interesting. Do we know if we get a 10 minutes ban if we disconnect in the CSS?

JJpalmer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jjpalmer
3DS FC
2664-2947-4020
Only time FG mode isnt fun to me is win a falco is invloved since i know if there lagging there going to cheese me to death with lasers other than that its pretty chill.But yea grab some Fcs and just kick back and have fun

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Even if you arent trying to win at any cost, For Glory is also the only mode set that enables 1v1 no items with random people. Some people prefer this, like myself, over anything else in the game. I never have items on and almost never play more than 1v1 because its a totally different game.
Only reason its labeled "for tryhards" is because its also the mode tournaments would use.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Only reason its labeled "for tryhards" is because its also the mode tournaments would use.
Tournaments allow a wider range of stages. I'd be much happier with the mode even if it allowed just 2 stages, FD and Battlefield.

Still, I feel like Omega Mode is a giant wasted opportunity. He had a chance to put in competitive versions of all stages (ie, remove the hazards but keep the general idea), or create alternative yet still playable competitive stages (like what they did in PM with most of the levels), but instead we just get a million very minor FD variants. Poor.

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
Man is this a real complaint? You are mad because people take ranked play seriously? That is the purpose of ranked/for glory lol. If you don't like it, play the for fun version or with friends. I do wish there was a casual 1v1 mode though. But seriously, don't be so blind, for glory s for competitive play which means you are suppose to do what it takes to win. If you have a problem with campers, learn to beat them by seeking advice on these boards or practice new tactics. Most of the campers suck anyways and you will easily beat when you figure out how to break up their rhythm.

Seriously though, how can you make a legit complaint in regards to people wanting to win? You might not have fun going against campers, but that camper might be having the time of his/her life.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
I take For Glory quite seriously and always try to win. Why? Because its a mode where I can practice against random people with no items and figure out matchups to get better. I'd just play with friends if I didn't want serious matches. For Glory was literally made for people to try hard at winning, its the entire nature of the mode. For Fun is there for you

Fortress

Smash Master
From what I've played against, it has mainly seem like people there on For Glory do not care about playing fair or having a good time more about playing to win. There has been examples of this such as a campy projectile character like Wii Fit Trainer.
Could not find it within myself to take this seriously. As a Link main, I can't really say that I'm playing unfairly, just playing my character extremely well. Nothing wrong with it when my opponent's can't deal. Get the concept of 'playing fair' out of your head and you'll begin getting better right away. Approach something that is 'unfair' with a different tactic and attitude, and just learn how to punish people for their habits.

Protip: punishing zoners or 'campy' characters is as easy as just being in their face. Typically, zoners struggle under close pressure.

AlexAnthonyD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Anthony
3DS FC
1521-5082-7099
You don't get banned. You can leave and rejoin as much as you want if its in the CSS
I just tried what you reported, was switching costumes in CSS just fine but match was very laggy once it began.

Top Bottom