• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why I quit Brawl

Placebo Effect

Smash Apprentice
Link to original post: [drupal=5445]Why I quit Brawl[/drupal]

As some of you may know, a several months ago I quit Brawl.

It was in the middle of my last tourney that I got serious thoughts about thinking to be more precise, I was in the middle of a match against somebody and out of nowhere I got really depressed and bored with the game, especially 1v1s. I wasn't doing that bad that tourney either, so that wasn't the case. I was still having fun with doubles, but that was about it. And I'll still play the game, but only either derpy matches with my friends, or doubles.

This was a little after I was getting back into twitch shooters again. Games like Doom, Quake, Serious Sam, whatever. They're all pretty dead now but I still find them much more fun and interesting than Brawl.

Don't get me wrong, I've had a lot of fun times with the game, endless hours playing against people on wi-fi (mostly twinx but he's still cool), all the matches me and my cousin used to do, and all the dumb matches I used to play at my college when I was trying to get some of my friends there into the competitive scene.

I never went to tournaments often, or talked to people much when I went, I didn't leave because of the community though, I really like the Smash community here in Arizona. :D

I can be a bit of a stubborn person, I main Ness, and secondary R.O.B., Fox, and C. Falcon. And in a tournament what that can mean is I get grabbed once (as Ness of course) and I can lose a stock to certain characters if I don't get out in time. I have secondaried almost every character in the game though (even Ice Climbers), and if I ever do get back into playing Brawl I'm just gonna pick Meta-Knight.

I don't like that in a game, imbalance is one thing, fairness is another (I can pick MK just as well as you can), but the fact that a player can't pick his own main due to fear of being grab-released is ridiculous. I know the game is supposed to be more "matchup-based" or "knowledge-based" than other fighters but there should be a limit.

Also there is, of course, Ice Climbers. I know some people are gonna complain about this "LOL SCRUB" " THEY'RE PART OF THE GAME", keep thoughts like that to yourself and hear me out please. As some of you who have experienced either fighting or playing as Ice Climbers may know, they're another game entirely. It's like, you're playing Super Smash Bros. Don't Get Grabbed and they're playing Super Grab Fighter Tournament Edition Deluxe XV111 with Cheese. And as I've said before, I've secondaried them, and was able to do a pretty good deal of their stuff before dropping them, and although getting a grab can be hard, once you've gotten it the chaingrab itself is mostly just muscle memory.
I remember far too many matches where my cousin would be in the lead and I'd get a grab then off a stock, then another and off another stock, then another and it was gg. Or I've been in a couple matches where it was almost as bad. And really I just didn't feel good using the Icies, even after I won.

It felt too slow for me too, in a weird way. I think that was mostly the movement though.The lack of hitstun didn't bother me that much because it allowed for some interesting fights. Hell in twitch shooters players can still fight in the middle of being comboed, but then again that's from being popped in the air with a rocket launcher and it's a First Person Shooter, so hitstun wouldn't really work too well.

Pretty much every ridiculous thing from every character I guess (which I used myself if I happened to use said character) made me turn away from the game.
The fact that you HAD to do certain things to be able to win, or at least get a considerable advantage bothered me and reminded me of Call of Duty, which is another game I quit lately despite all the good times I used to have with it.
Got really boring seeing the same stuff all the time I guess, the mentality of "Oh I'm losing, better plank" or any of the other stuff just wasn't my thing.
I'm not saying all players or characters have to do it, and I do still like watching competitive Brawl from time to time, but players like that are rare and I usually skip any boring stuff.
And trust me, I know how this sounds, lately I've been pretty much the antithesis of a scrub so it sounds weird to me even. It's one of those things though, you know it's ok for it to be in the game but at the same time you're sick of it. Especially since I've been studying game design so heavily lately.

In twitch shooters you don't have to do things like that to be able to win, or at least it's nowhere near as apparent. Just get some armor/weapons and your major item, keep it's time, return to it when it's up, and go for a steal on your opponent's major items and keep time, then go for more frags since they won't have as much health/armor while continuing to defend and time your own. That's a very basic description of one variation of one playstyle, and the worst it ever gets is a player getting a frag and hiding/running away, but players like that are rare and aren't high ranking players (which are actually pretty diverse).
You don't risk it and attack a position and you don't get any reward. Instead of doing one small attack
grab
, which might not even be a risk and getting a huge reward
kill

Maybe the game has done all it's can for me in teaching me about competitivity, who knows. I do know however that I've been learning a lot more since I've made the switch, and feel like a better gamer in general too. Nothing against the game, it still has its moments, they're just a lot less rare for me.

I still play Brawl- from time to time, and if I ever get around to it I will play Project M.
I'm just hoping the next Smash is good competitively though, because I know I can be good at these games (except Melee and most likely Project M), I just don't want to be bored and depressed while playing them.

Placebo Effect

Smash Apprentice
I think that was actually the year I joined the Smash community, but yeah good times there at the start of the game's existence. It all seemed so innocent. :p

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Link to original post: [drupal=5445]Why I quit Brawl[/drupal]

As some of you may know, a several months ago I quit Brawl.

It was in the middle of my last tourney that I got serious thoughts about thinking to be more precise, I was in the middle of a match against somebody and out of nowhere I got really depressed and bored with the game, especially 1v1s. I wasn't doing that bad that tourney either, so that wasn't the case. I was still having fun with doubles, but that was about it. And I'll still play the game, but only either derpy matches with my friends, or doubles.

This was a little after I was getting back into twitch shooters again. Games like Doom, Quake, Serious Sam, whatever. They're all pretty dead now but I still find them much more fun and interesting than Brawl.

Don't get me wrong, I've had a lot of fun times with the game, endless hours playing against people on wi-fi (mostly twinx but he's still cool), all the matches me and my cousin used to do, and all the dumb matches I used to play at my college when I was trying to get some of my friends there into the competitive scene.

I never went to tournaments often, or talked to people much when I went, I didn't leave because of the community though, I really like the Smash community here in Arizona. :D

I can be a bit of a stubborn person, I main Ness, and secondary R.O.B., Fox, and C. Falcon. And in a tournament what that can mean is I get grabbed once (as Ness of course) and I can lose a stock to certain characters if I don't get out in time. I have secondaried almost every character in the game though (even Ice Climbers), and if I ever do get back into playing Brawl I'm just gonna pick Meta-Knight.

I don't like that in a game, imbalance is one thing, fairness is another (I can pick MK just as well as you can), but the fact that a player can't pick his own main due to fear of being grab-released is ridiculous. I know the game is supposed to be more "matchup-based" or "knowledge-based" than other fighters but there should be a limit.

Also there is, of course, Ice Climbers. I know some people are gonna complain about this "LOL SCRUB" " THEY'RE PART OF THE GAME", keep thoughts like that to yourself and hear me out please. As some of you who have experienced either fighting or playing as Ice Climbers may know, they're another game entirely. It's like, you're playing Super Smash Bros. Don't Get Grabbed and they're playing Super Grab Fighter Tournament Edition Deluxe XV111 with Cheese. And as I've said before, I've secondaried them, and was able to do a pretty good deal of their stuff before dropping them, and although getting a grab can be hard, once you've gotten it the chaingrab itself is mostly just muscle memory.
I remember far too many matches where my cousin would be in the lead and I'd get a grab then off a stock, then another and off another stock, then another and it was gg. Or I've been in a couple matches where it was almost as bad. And really I just didn't feel good using the Icies, even after I won.

It felt too slow for me too, in a weird way. I think that was mostly the movement though.The lack of hitstun didn't bother me that much because it allowed for some interesting fights. Hell in twitch shooters players can still fight in the middle of being comboed, but then again that's from being popped in the air with a rocket launcher and it's a First Person Shooter, so hitstun wouldn't really work too well.

Pretty much every ridiculous thing from every character I guess (which I used myself if I happened to use said character) made me turn away from the game.
The fact that you HAD to do certain things to be able to win, or at least get a considerable advantage bothered me and reminded me of Call of Duty, which is another game I quit lately despite all the good times I used to have with it.
Got really boring seeing the same stuff all the time I guess, the mentality of "Oh I'm losing, better plank" or any of the other stuff just wasn't my thing.
I'm not saying all players or characters have to do it, and I do still like watching competitive Brawl from time to time, but players like that are rare and I usually skip any boring stuff.
And trust me, I know how this sounds, lately I've been pretty much the antithesis of a scrub so it sounds weird to me even. It's one of those things though, you know it's ok for it to be in the game but at the same time you're sick of it. Especially since I've been studying game design so heavily lately.

In twitch shooters you don't have to do things like that to be able to win, or at least it's nowhere near as apparent. Just get some armor/weapons and your major item, keep it's time, return to it when it's up, and go for a steal on your opponent's major items and keep time, then go for more frags since they won't have as much health/armor while continuing to defend and time your own. That's a very basic description of one variation of one playstyle, and the worst it ever gets is a player getting a frag and hiding/running away, but players like that are rare and aren't high ranking players (which are actually pretty diverse).
You don't risk it and attack a position and you don't get any reward. Instead of doing one small attack
grab
, which might not even be a risk and getting a huge reward
kill

Maybe the game has done all it's can for me in teaching me about competitivity, who knows. I do know however that I've been learning a lot more since I've made the switch, and feel like a better gamer in general too. Nothing against the game, it still has its moments, they're just a lot less rare for me.

I still play Brawl- from time to time, and if I ever get around to it I will play Project M.
I'm just hoping the next Smash is good competitively though, because I know I can be good at these games (except Melee and most likely Project M), I just don't want to be bored and depressed while playing them.
I think if there's one thing i'll take away from Brawl it's respect that it's done as much for me as it has. It's gotten me in to the competitive scene and introduced me to some awesome people, it's put my brother and I ever closer and the obvious, it's provided thousands of hours of enjoyment for me. Even if I do get bored of it, I will always respect, and always love it because no matter what, the rollercoaster ride has been amazing.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Brawl is one of those games where it has a weird competitive aspect to it, mostly due to the change in game physics, as well as Sakurai's attempt at making the game not as competitive (low hit stun, tripping, etc.). The game is still great, especially is played as a party game. On a competitive level, however, it is rather frustrating. If it means anything, there's still the hope if Smash 4, and the fact Namco-Bandai, a company that has mastered competitive gaming (Tekken, Soul Calibur, etc.), will be developing the game as well.

:phone:

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Broken pixel, you should think about trying melee competitively. That game is really fun, and it's rewarding to play it at high level.

Placebo Effect

Smash Apprentice
Broken pixel, you should think about trying melee competitively. That game is really fun, and it's rewarding to play it at high level.

I'm horrid at Melee, I have bad techskill due to an injury on my left thumb a few years back. I can't even perform some Brawl stuff because of it. Otherwise I would, because it really is a fun game and looks much more enjoyable. I hear Project M takes slightly less techskill though so maybe I can work with that.
I am, however, trying to raise awareness for twitch shooters (Quake and Serious Sam in particular) and want to start a league for them of some sort in my city sometime in the future, because I do have the techskill and mental awareness for those, only problem is no one plays them.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I quit Brawl without even meaning to quit Brawl. In fact I wouldn't even say I quit, just put it on hold for almost 2 years...

No regret tbh.

I'm horrid at Melee, I have bad techskill due to an injury on my left thumb a few years back. I can't even perform some Brawl stuff because of it. Otherwise I would, because it really is a fun game and looks much more enjoyable. I hear Project M takes slightly less techskill though so maybe I can work with that.
I am, however, trying to raise awareness for twitch shooters (Quake and Serious Sam in particular) and want to start a league for them of some sort in my city sometime in the future, because I do have the techskill and mental awareness for those, only problem is no one plays them.
Skill doesn't really matter

Melee isn't event hat technical when you're not playing the space animals. Like any fighting game, it's about making the right decisions. Ability does enhance the reward for those decisions, but how can you use ability well if you're doing the wrong things? Or maybe that's just me playing Peach

Or you can play twitch shooters. Choose the game that makes you happiest

Placebo Effect

Smash Apprentice
Skill doesn't really matter

Melee isn't event hat technical when you're not playing the space animals. Like any fighting game, it's about making the right decisions. Ability does enhance the reward for those decisions, but how can you use ability well if you're doing the wrong things? Or maybe that's just me playing Peach
It's not just that, also my ears are faster than my eyes, which would mean against certain characters I'm better due to just the fast that I can react quicker. My decision making skills aren't the best, but when I do make a good decision I just can't capitalize on it properly.

Or you can play twitch shooters. Choose the game that makes you happiest
Funny thing about this situation is there probably aren't even 500 active deathmatch players in all games like that combined in the US, but I want to compete there, but I can't.
Been dedicating most of my time lately to theory and what things in a game like that would attract the most players, it's good but I think I've reached my limit on that for now.

It's not just that, also my ears are faster than my eyes, which would mean against certain characters I'm better due to just the fast that I can react quicker. My decision making skills aren't the best, but when I do make a good decision I just can't capitalize on it properly.
Everyone naturally reacts to sounds sooner than they can react to sights

I guess you have been playing for a long time and are familiar with many situations. Have you ever heard of BrolyLegs?

Funny thing about this situation is there probably aren't even 500 active deathmatch players in all games like that combined in the US, but I want to compete there, but I can't.
Been dedicating most of my time lately to theory and what things in a game like that would attract the most players, it's good but I think I've reached my limit on that for now.
Didn't Q3A used to be a big PC fps game? What happened (to the series)?

Placebo Effect

Smash Apprentice
Everyone naturally reacts to sounds sooner than they can react to sights

I guess you have been playing for a long time and are familiar with many situations. Have you ever heard of BrolyLegs?
Yes I'm very analytical too, if I'm not playing I'm thinking of different scenarios and the best way to win them.
Not that I remember, just looked it up though. That's cool. :o

Didn't Q3A used to be a big PC fps game? What happened (to the series)?
It was, but mods killed it, there were too many of them and the community got separated.
Then Quake 4 came out and it wasn't very good (although it does have a nice movement mechanic), and most recently Quake Live came out, which is fun I guess but lacks in features and different things for the community, it's one of those games that kills it's own community.
But then again all this is only based on speculation (and old Q3 forums/videos too I guess).
I'm 19 and Quake 3 was released in 1999, so I was only 6 when the game came out. Started playing a couple years ago but not at a time to notice any real change.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
I feel the same way.

The game had too many flaws to overcome for me to really enjoy it at a competitive level. I really tried but it's demoralising when MKs and ICs can do some dumb stuff, and you're pigeon holed to a few characters or playstyles. The game just wasn't balanced enough.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy spending hundred of hours playing the game, you just couldn't take it too seriously. Lets hope Smash 4 does better.

Top Bottom