• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why I don't like Melee

MyNameisHobby

Smash Cadet
NNID
HobbyPlaysGames
The control.

Melee is a very fun game when you learn to play it, but the control is absolutely horrendous. Not by button layout, but the feel you have for the gameplay. I often find myself stuck in one position because I can't dash or dodge out of there. However, when I jam the control stick to where I want to go, it works. That shouldn't be required. I get how hard taps with the controller will cause a dash, but Melee is just ridiculous. You don't have to put all your might into dashing in other games. In Melee, you do. You should feel loose and focused when playing Smash Bros. You shouldn't feel tense and unfocused, which is how I feel in Melee.

And before you post anything, yes. I do understand there are people used to this. However, I don't see myself getting used to this anytime soon.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I personally get used to it fairly quickly when I want to play Melee more seriously for a while.
Then again, "fairly quickly" for me is 3 hours of continuous play already keeping in mind I've been playing this game for some 9 years, so.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Sug, y'all ain't alone. I've played Melee since '05 and I'm still not used to its fast pace. I've had to play in slow motion mode or by slowing down the game in training for quite a while. As for ATs, I'm not tournament-level or otherwise adept at tech skill but I know enough to get by.

With their slower pace I find myself playing SSB4 for Wii U and even Brawl more often than Melee. I won't say I don't like Melee but it is too fast and technically demanding for my tastes (and this is coming from a casual player).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Reasons I don't like Melee

1) No Diddy Kong

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Another gripe I have with Melee is the inability to turn off barrels, crates, and capsules. Now, this is why I prefer Brawl and Smash 4 much more (again, not saying I dislike Melee).

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I remember in PM they made the change to lower the dash sensitivity. I always liked that Melee required more effort to dash, too many weak thumbed nerds out there obv.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
It has been there since smash 64. It changed to be easier by the time brawl came around. Like what Teran said, I too like the effort needed to dodge. It's like the dodging represents the games. Melee needs effort, so you put effort in dodging. Smash wii u is kind of more laid back, even competitively, and the dodging in that is easier. That's what I see anyway

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I don't hate, only smash game that comes close is smash 64 and that is due to not liking it competitively almost at all.

I just prefer another game to it.

Blacklooter

Smash Rookie
hmm, the controls are so sensitive..to separate the best players from the weaker ones..

Everyone knows in melee... that competitions change everything...

What I mean by this..is that competitive smashing is much harder to control due to nervous reactions and anxiety..because the want to will to win is so high..and this creates tension between player and player..

Top Bottom