• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why have 3 different pokemon in one?

blubomber17

Smash Apprentice
This is good, because now we have a whole new original character. Besides, adding all three of those on their own would've been rather dumb.

Athos

Smash Cadet
Because the point of pokemon Red in Blue is that there were three different starting pokemon to choose from. If they put charmander in brawl, people would be wondering why squirtle wasn't put in. This way, they get the most popular form of each starting pokemon.

Lexl5

Smash Journeyman
Because the point of pokemon Red in Blue is that there were three different starting pokemon to choose from. If they put charmander in brawl, people would be wondering why squirtle wasn't put in. This way, they get the most popular form of each starting pokemon.
i think he means why not have em ALL seperately?

Magmar's Wrath

Smash Journeyman
yeah but its unfair
How so? That the other series don't have as many representatives? Pokémon does have 450+ characters.

Besides, it's not like the other series haven't included more characters in their PCs: Peach has Toad; King Dedede has Waddle Dee, Waddle Doo, and Gordo; and Pit has Palutena and the Centurions.

The Pokémon Trainer just brings out the way Pokémon was really meant to be seen: a Trainer giving the orders as his/her Pokémon whup the foe. Very few Pokémon games have the Pokémon fighting on their own.

Don Tyrant

Smash Cadet
yeah but its unfair
unfair to who, if the stamina factor is as Sakurai said it is, the user must blend the strengths of the three pokemon strategically, just imagine the skill that must be implemented into mastering this character. On the other end of the spectrum, the opponent can anticipate when the change will be made and punish the user-similar to what happens to some Sheik players when they are trying to change from Zelda. Their is no clear advantage, it will probably come down to who is the smarter player like usual.

P.Vanity

Smash Ace
i think thats actually how it works. until all 3 die.
No way it doesn't. That would be like given them +2 extra stock than anyone else :psycho:
I think the person before you meant that they should all be out at the same time? :confused:

Wiggles

Smash Cadet
yeah but its unfair
I don't think it's unfair.

My theory is that the three pokemon will "lose stamina" or be knocked off the stage easier than a single opponent. Otherwise, we might start to see Brawl Tournements with banned characters.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
More original this way, duh! The starter were rightfully grouped together as one. I'm not a huge fan of the Stamina mechanic, as long as it doesn't hinder on gameplay it's cool. I do plan on maining PT btw, so I hpoe Stamina isn't a big deal.

iron blade

Smash Ace
If you're good with the character it shouldn't be a problem unless it seriously affects your stats. Besides, stamina won't even exist if you swap out every once in a while.

WarioII

Smash Apprentice
why couldnt they just have 3 seperate pokemon instead of mushing them al into 1? good idea or bad?
because its different and innovative and they would just take up character slots people would of suggested something like this if they did end up making them each their own character

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
why waste 3 slots. 3 pokemon that had no chance to warrant a spot. so they combine them. rep the old pk games to the max and create a new character that is completely original.

thumbs up brawl team!

Black/Light

Smash Master
why waste 3 slots. 3 pokemon that had no chance to warrant a spot. so they combine them. rep the old pk games to the max and create a new character that is completely original.

thumbs up brawl team!
Sigh*
I wish people would sthu about "slots". These are 3 friggin characters in one with as much time put in them as any new character. . . no difference other than the nit-picky BS like selectablity.

And here is why PT is in and works the way he works. . .
Satoshi Tajiri: TIME: How does that translate to the U.S.?
Tajiri: It's interesting, because in Japan, everybody goes for Pikachu. In the U.S., the characters Ash [Satoshi in Japan] and Pikachu are grouped together. American kids seem to like that. In America there are more products sold with Ash and Pikachu together, not just Pikachu alone. I think Americans actually understand the concept of Pokémon better than the Japanese. The Japanese focus on Pikachu, but what I think is important is the human aspect--you need Ash.
The human aspect is important to the marker of the series and this is by fare the best way to show whats important to the series. Pokemon aint about "flavors of the month" like Blaze/ Deoxy/ Lucario and so on.Pokemon is about a pokemon TRAINER on a journey to collect, train, befriend, breed, raise and battle as many pokemon as s/he can in order to go from pokemon trainer to pokemon master.

Pokemon Trainer repersents this aspect of the game (the foundation of said series) better than "just having the 3 starters as reg characters" could ever do.

The Noob Legend

Smash Ace
Aren't these Pokemon using HP instead of damage?

Therefore if you lose all your HP, you put another one out.
Like the games, simple.

3 in 1 isn't that unfair.

Lets say you play with 3 stocks each.
The Pokemon loses all his HP, another goes out...
He is pushed off the stage and blasted away... 1 stock lost.

The PT has more options, but is equally the same.

ricydafrog

Smash Journeyman
allows sakurai to put in sum of the main representatives in brawl without taking to much roster space= a good move

Kyle29

Smash Apprentice
When i saw the pokemon trainer i thought of pikmin and how it could be applied to them. This idea opens up oppritunity to a lot of characters.

ricydafrog

Smash Journeyman
When i saw the pokemon trainer i thought of pikmin and how it could be applied to them. This idea opens up oppritunity to a lot of characters.
Wouldn't they work more like ice climbers if you're thinking they'll operate like that?

Twoje

Smash Rookie
No way it doesn't. That would be like given them +2 extra stock than anyone else :psycho:
I think the person before you meant that they should all be out at the same time? :confused:
Actually, it would give them 3x as many lives, not just +2.

Of course, you probably meant +2 stock per 1 stock everyone else has. :p

kemkian

Smash Cadet
they could have put like six different pokemon instead of just short thinking and getting that out of the way

Kronzo

Smash Apprentice
Takes up less space on the character menu, and the stamina is a good idea so that you don't just play as the "highest tier" pokemon (I don't believe in tiers btw). kinda like that whole Zelda<Sheik thing.

I personally think it would be cool if you could unlock alot of diff pokemon, then you could choose 3 (or maybe even 6) when you choose pokemon trainer, and it wouldn't be unfair if they all shared stock and with the stamina thing.

Probably won't happen though.

supergamer

Smash Cadet
Think of it this way...They have stamina so no one plays with the strongest pokemon (Charizard). So if your opponet swithed out Ivysuar (at 250% and tired ) to Charizard then charizard would carry the burden of being knocked out early because his percentage is so high. In short they all share the same percentage.

Smash Apprentice
It's creative, unique, and includes 3 pokemon while still leaving room for more pokemon spots.
Like Jigglypuff

Top Bottom