• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why has nobody tried modding Smash 64 yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
So, nobodys hacked Smash 64 yet. I mean properly, I know that theres ones that make it HD, and I know about one that gives online, which is awesome, but why no new stuff in it? At least something so make the unplayable characters [Metal Mario, Master Hand, Polygons] or the unplayable stages [Final Destanation, Metal Caverns] playable. Or new characters altogether. [I would love playing as Banjo-Kazzoie in Smash 64] So why? And if theres anyone who is, please tell me!

Prism

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jesset202
3DS FC
0576-5008-6643
There are already hacks that make Metal Mario, Master Hand, and Polygons playable. People have tried modding 64, I guarantee that. I guess no one's made anything they feel is worth advertising about.

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
There are already hacks that make Metal Mario, Master Hand, and Polygons playable. People have tried modding 64, I guarantee that. I guess no one's made anything they feel is worth advertising about.
Can you please give me a link to this hack for unplayable characters, as I haven't been able to find anything of the sort on google

Shears

Smash Master
What is it with all these 64 mod project threads all of sudden? How can perfection get any more perfect?

nerf kirby utilt

Last edited:

Madao

So, nobodys hacked Smash 64 yet. I mean properly, I know that theres ones that make it HD, and I know about one that gives online, which is awesome, but why no new stuff in it? At least something so make the unplayable characters [Metal Mario, Master Hand, Polygons] or the unplayable stages [Final Destanation, Metal Caverns] playable. Or new characters altogether. [I would love playing as Banjo-Kazzoie in Smash 64] So why? And if theres anyone who is, please tell me!
Three reasons why it hasn't happened. Laziness, lack of interest, and incompetence.

You can use gameshark for unplayable stages and characters, although nobody found a way to play final destination in VS mode. As for introducing new characters, that would take a lot of work. Nobody here has that kind of devotion.

The best you'll ever get to see is a character balance hack. And maybe some stage hacks too.

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
What is it with all these 64 mod project threads all of sudden? How can perfection get any more perfect?

nerf kirby utilt
Its cause its an amazing game that deserves a better modding community.

And my god is that up tilt OP:kirby2:

Three reasons why it hasn't happened. Laziness, lack of interest, and incompetence.

You can use gameshark for unplayable stages and characters, although nobody found a way to play final destination in VS mode. As for introducing new characters, that would take a lot of work. Nobody here has that kind of devotion.

The best you'll ever get to see is a character balance hack. And maybe some stage hacks too.
Then why is there such a huge modding community for Brawl?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sangoku

Smash Master

That triad sums it up. But what do you mean by no way to play FD in VS mode? As in, no way to properly select FD in VS mode? Because it's perfectly possible to play a 1v1 on FD, it's just a bit of a hassle going through 1P mode.

And @ N noahk777 try not to double post please.

Madao

Then why is there such a huge modding community for Brawl?
Because Brawl is more popular.. It's also somewhat easier to mod it because there's no compression, and less hardware limits. Like you can't import HD textures into an N64 game, because N64's wouldn't even be able to handle it. The

I still don't think the Brawl hacking community is that impressive. The people who get so much praise, have stolen work, without giving credit... Afaik, they still haven't found a legit hitbox display code :) .
That triad sums it up. But what do you mean by no way to play FD in VS mode? As in, no way to properly select FD in VS mode? Because it's perfectly possible to play a 1v1 on FD, it's just a bit of a hassle going through 1P mode.
Ya i meant the actual VS mode. I know you can use gameshark codes for 1P mode to play FD 1 v 1. It is indeed a hassle. Isn't it glitchy too? Or maybe I just didn't do it right xD.

Last edited:

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
I still think somebody should mod 64. Project M proves how popular a mod can get, and 64 is very deserving of mods

Madao

I still think somebody should mod 64. Project M proves how popular a mod can get, and 64 is very deserving of mods
I agree that someone should mod 64. But who is willing to put in the work? It's easy to suggest things to other people, especially when you would benefit from it. People need to contribute more, if you ever expect anything to get done.

Project M? More like Project plagiarisM :) . Lets face it, Smash64 is the least popular, I don't think a Smash64 mod will ever be that popular.

Now if anyone were to decide on trying, I'd be willing to at least help out.

Shears

Smash Master
Project M proves how popular a mod can get
64 isn't that popular though. Brawl and melee are much more popular and their popularity led to Project M's popularity. A 64 mod wouldn't be popular because its awesome or the 64 community would flock to it, a 64 mod would be popular because melee and pm players can play another game with wavedashing and slightly different physics. People don't play 64 because they don't want to learn a new game and/or pride themselves on all their melee tech skill and don't want to throw that out the window to play a game they aren't familiar with. If people want to play an awesome version of 64, then buy a copy of the game and an N64 console, insert the cartridge into the console slot, plug it into a crt tv, turn both of them on, and play the game.

Project M? More like Project plagiarisM :) .
My sides have been split, seriously I think I need stitches.

Last edited:

Mikau Anaki

Smash Rookie
It's a real shame though. with just a slight balance hack the game would instantly become more watchable because I'd see more than 1/3 of the cast used at tourneys. Tourney Locator has a new thing where they show Smash 64 tourneys. honestly the game can get really hype, I just get bored of seeing the same 4 characters over & over.

Shears

Smash Master
It's a real shame though. with just a slight balance hack the game would instantly become more watchable because I'd see more than 1/3 of the cast used at tourneys. Tourney Locator has a new thing where they show Smash 64 tourneys. honestly the game can get really hype, I just get bored of seeing the same 4 characters over & over.
Showing 64 tourneys isn't new. We've been doing them on VGBC for a while and streamed on thatsadarkhorse for 1.5 years. Also, top 8 at Genesis 3 had 5/12 characters. Thats more than 1/3 but its not like top 8s for any game will have much more than 5 characters used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom