• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Why Gamecube?

Noventia

Smash Cadet
Now let me clarify - I have no problem with gamecube controllers. This is just a question.

Since melee, i've forgotten what it feels like to use a gc controller in smash. I haven't picked up the adapter due to it's ridiculous pricing currently, but even when it comes back in stock for a reasonable price, i'm still doubting picking it up. My problem is I don't see why you would use it if you already have a pro controller (which I do.) I'm actually currently using the gamepad just because i'm used to it. I'd just like some reasons why the gc controlleris used so much and why I should get it.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Wiring the controller solves a whole lot of battery and connection issues and the lack of C-stick head provides easier flicking at the cost of less grip, often proving useful for smash attacks, though the new mechanics thereof might work against that.
Everything else is personal preference besides the L and R, which are actually worse on the GC controller since they require a longer press for the same effect. Some, however, may find the octagonal stick housings useful for aligning the sticks correctly and not screwing up with precise characters like Yoshi.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've only really used the GameCube controller to play Melee. Brawl removed the pressure-sensitive shields, making the GameCube controller's L and R buttons a liability.

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
Pro Controller (Amazon) - $49.99
Gamecube Controller (Amazon) [$39.99 - Color: White] [$27.60 - Smash Bros. Edition]

When buying multiple controllers, Gamecube Controllers are cheaper to obtain compared to Pro Controllers, which is cool when you tend to play 4-player (or above) Smash.

B4ssick L3e

Smash Cadet
I recommend the HORI fight pad if you like the GCube but want easier shoulder buttons to use. It reads as WiiProController so you can use it in Smash U, Brawl, Project M, and I think in smash 64 on virtual console. All you need is a spare wii mote, and it's only 25 bucks! Only downside is the overly sensitive thumbstick, but hope fully after enough play that will wearoff.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
The reasons for me are simple:

1. I can play as long as I want without charging any controllers. Yes, the Wii U Pro controller has incredible battery life, making it almost a non-issue there, but I only have one such controller, and they are pricier.
2. Wired controllers always have a slightly better response time. I am picky enough that I still play on traditional TVs to reduce the latency even further.
3. I already have multiple GC controllers at my disposal, enough to accommodate a second adaptor if I ever feel inclined to acquire another. It is generally the controller of choice on the rare chance I get to play others.
4. It is what I am most used to. I tried variations of the Wiimote and its accessories in the past, but the only technique I ever found to be easier with the Wiimote alone was Samus's taunt transformation in Brawl. Everything else is easier for me on the GC controller.
5. Ultimately, why not? If others want to play using other controllers, I will happily let someone else borrow my Gamepad or Pro controller, while I use one of the GC controllers. Having the adaptor simply opens up more flexibility and freedom of choice.

Khao

Smash Lord
I had a Pro Controller beforehand, and I would personally have been okay just playing with it. Buuuut that's when I only consider me as the sole player.

At the same time, I had two Gamecube Controllers sitting around. Without the adapter, that would mean two useless controllers that could have been used to add two players into the game. That's not cool.

So, I got the bundle, It has an adapter plus a third controller.

I could now use the Pro Controller, which would be perfectly okay, or keep using the same controller I've been using to Smash since I first got Melee. The decision was easy enough.

Last edited:

_gold_

Smash Master
I play with a wavebird, so... the whole "it's a wired controller" doesn't really apply to me. I just use if really for nostalgic reasons. I've always used it (excluding 64), so it's difficult to use anything else. It's solid, weighty, and the button positions are perfect IMO. Plus, let's not forget the c-stick. All hail the c-stick.
I don't want to go overboard about it, but it really is one of my favorite gaming controllers.

Last edited:

Ryuji

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuji777x
3DS FC
0044-3176-2969
Because it's the best controller to use for a game like Smash. The controls are perfect and smash attacks are easy to execute. Speaking from personal experience, I used the c-stick to use smash attacks quite often. It allows you to use them without the risk of accidentally using a dash attack by pressing hard on the joystick in unison with the A button. You can't do this with the Wii U Pro controller, so it's no surprise that gamecube controller adapters are hard to find.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Because it's the best controller to use for a game like Smash. The controls are perfect and smash attacks are easy to execute. Speaking from personal experience, I used the c-stick to use smash attacks quite often. It allows you to use them without the risk of accidentally using a dash attack by pressing hard on the joystick in unison with the A button. You can't do this with the Wii U Pro controller, so it's no surprise that gamecube controller adapters are hard to find.
The Pro Controller has a right stick though...

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
It's wired (decreasing input lag) and it's very ergonomic. I'd say that it's the most comfortable controller I've every used - And I either own or have played nearly every video game console since the NES, so I know what I'm talking about. Not to mention, the size of the A button and its proximity to the jump buttons make it very easy to shorthop aerials.

HerrAlex

Smash Cadet
NNID
HerrAlex
Yes but the location on it is very awkward.
That's a matter of personal taste. The Pro Controller's layout is much more symmetric so I can imagine someone who has never used a GC controller to prefer the Pro. Most people who use GC controllers only do it because they're used to them.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I've been using the pro controller since day 1 on the Wii U due to lack of better options. I played Smash using a GameCube controller from 2001 to 2014. I was able to adapt and train my muscle memory to go above the buttons for the C stick rather than below, and I now prefer this controller. When playing offline, I have yet to notice even the slightest bit of input delay - something I used to really notice with the WaveBird in games past.

It is all down to preference. Some would rather not have to re-train themselves on a new controller and I can respect that...I had fully planned on doing the same before I got my Wii U. Don't spend the money on something you don't need. Use the controller that feels most comfortable to you.

PS. Keep in mind - TOs generally ban the Gamepad and 3DS if you plan on playing in tournaments.

Blackyoshika?

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0018-2653-2476
I have a clear gamecube controller, it simply looks sicker than the flu... I picked it up at a used store for 10 dollars. It is so snappy and so tight I am convinced no one used it before me, as I picked it up with a Hanshin Tigers japanese controller! that looked like it was used with every game ever made for gamecube. I have this sweet story, a pristine clear gamecube controller I hope to someday install LEDs in. I can not imagine in any way ever using that tacky pro controller.

Okarin

Smash Rookie
NNID
nakarumadra
What about the classic (pro) controllers? They aren't that expensive and the right stick and buttons are in the proper places. Only issue is left stick placement which once you get used to (which is rather quick) only throws off your elite taunt game :D I can't stand to by the wii u pro controller because of its right layout but I've been having fun on the classic and I'm getting two classic pro's today.

Ryuji

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuji777x
3DS FC
0044-3176-2969
It's not as quick and easy to press as the gamecube c-stick, which had a more convenient position. I say this as a right-handed individual. Having the joystick on the left is fine, but having one on the right in the exact opposite position for smash attacks doesn't translate to easily executed smash attacks.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
It's not as quick and easy to press as the gamecube c-stick, which had a more convenient position. I say this as a right-handed individual. Having the joystick on the left is fine, but having one on the right in the exact opposite position for smash attacks doesn't translate to easily executed smash attacks.
What makes below the buttons inherently better than above the buttons for smash attacks?

Purple_Anteater

Smash Cadet
Its really just preference. Most people like it because its what they're used to from melee and brawl. I see the only real advantage it gives over the pro controller would be the octagonal gate on the control sticks. Which is ideal for most fighting games. In smash its kinda helpful in some ways but in other ways it can be detrimental. Again, it is really just preference. Personally i use a wii u pro controller, mostly because i can't get the adapter either.

Last edited:

Rtas Vadum

Smash Rookie
NNID
MasterKazMiller
3DS FC
3394-3815-1574
I believe it's preferences in the end. I myself do not use the Gamecube controller. Money isn't a problem, I just enjoy the WiiU pro controller, or even the gamepad instead. Feels better, and I did have a standard Gamecube controller when I was younger.

Okarin

Smash Rookie
NNID
nakarumadra
So the 3rd party classic pro controllers came in today and they are a pleasant surprise. I paid ~15 for the both of them and might end up enjoying them more than I originally did w/ the GC controller. Button wise they function just as great as the official classic controller but the better grip and trigger buttons really are a pleasure

Last edited:

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
For me it's because the face buttons are above the cstick, sounds silly but it's easier for me to slide my thumb down to smash and use my index finger to press the face buttons. Have to do something similar when you play Halo so it came naturally to me, the Wii U Pro controller is nice, I just don't like the thumbstick up there.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
The GCN controller is both a blessing and a curse. Once you use it, you won't want to use anything else.

Last edited:

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
The way I see it, it sums up to simply the preferences of each individual
If you prefer one controller over the other, go do your thing

Top Bottom