• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why fox online sucks?

Yunocookie

Smash Cadet
I can't do anything online with Fox that I can do offline, like all my combos, but most other characters I play with online do fine. Is there anyway around this?

Last edited:

Pocket Freye

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0018-2697-0732
He's definitely one of the harder characters to play online, you just either have to deal with it or only play Fox offline. That or only try to find people who are very close to you or with good internet connections.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Try smashladder.com or any other smash bros match making site and find opponents who are close to your region. The longer the distance between you and your opponent, the more likely there will be lag.

Move away or turn off any other electronic devices near your Wii U, this includes speakers, Nintendo DS's, printers, laptops, cell phones, etc. This causes interference and takes bandwidth away from your connection (whether you play with LAN wire or wireless).

Lastly is display, if you're playing on a TV try checking if there's a "game mode" under the settings to minimize input lag.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
Fox is just fine online if you have a good internet connection. I play him the majority of the time and with my wired ethernet adapter it's more or less lagless. Granted, when I go to a local tournament or practice him in the lab I find him much smoother. I would just suggest finding a "lag-counterpick" character for online if Fox is too much trouble (Gandondorf and Dedede For-Glory top tier).

Yunocookie

Smash Cadet
I do have an Ethernet set up and I do play on SmashLandder. I have an easier time beating people with my secondary (Ganondorf) than Fox.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
fox sucks online, there's no answer we can give you that will change that fact.

You can win with him if you play like a god but it doesn't change the fact that online he's awful and you'll do waaaay worse then you would offline. Like losing to people online that you could comfortably 3 stock offline worse.
just gotta suck it up.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Frankly, no. Any tier list where Sheik is at the bottom is definitely not accurate... unless it's a tier list of "worst characters".

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I think you underestimate how easy Roy is to use online.

Yunocookie

Smash Cadet
It was just something I found online. I saw Fox at the bottom and though maybe, and I think this tier list is for people on For Glory. Not on SmashLadder.

Last edited:

JBix

Ka744
NNID
murderotica744
I play a lot online because I am from a city of about 40,000. I was wondering does anyone ever dash attack when they input cstick for upsmash? Seems to happen to me often when playing online after a dair setup.

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
When I play Fox online, I feel like I know I can beat the person I'm up against, but it's just tedious online. I would do way better offline.

XxSmashM4sterxX

Smash Cadet
I think you underestimate how easy Roy is to use online.
Roy online is ****ing disgusting, good luck being able to react to anything he does if he alternates killing you at 60% with smash attacks and dash grabbing while moving at the speed of light.

horizons889

Smash Apprentice
I think people tend to over exaggerate how bad Fox and other characters are online. This is probably due to pros who are used to playing at tournaments all the time, complain about this- so people jump to conclusions. In the end it doesn't really make much of a difference (in my opinion) what character you play online. Some require you to be more precise with landing combos, aerials etc. - Like Sheik, Fox, Mario, etc. But it's not something that's game breaking. I can land up air KO's from d-throw or up-tilt set-ups all day online with Fox- as long as the connection isn't a complete lag fest.
In the end, play who you enjoy- you're not going to be extremely hindered by playing a character you like due to online play.

Last edited:

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
I would put Ryu higher. It's super easy to cheese people out with him on wifi.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I play a lot online because I am from a city of about 40,000. I was wondering does anyone ever dash attack when they input cstick for upsmash? Seems to happen to me often when playing online after a dair setup.
Yep, sometimes. With lag. Same with forward smash, the game does jab instead when there's lag (WHICH ISN'T EVEN POSSIBLE!!!!! HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN????!!!!!

(With default controls, wii u pro controller and gamepad)

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
someone i talk to often keeps trying to tell me that Fox isn't really bad online. Yeah right dude.
1)He's a Ness main :/
2)His Fox is booty
3)He has no idea what he's talking about
Wifi Fox is like using potato quality training wheels. It's really that frustrating...

dadominator8

Smash Rookie
NNID
dddsoxfan98
I can't do anything online with Fox that I can do offline, like all my combos, but most other characters I play with online do fine. Is there anyway around this?
fox's inputs are fast and hard and online has delay

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1

Does this look accurate for an online tier list?
Coming from someone who used to main Yoshi, this chart gave me a chuckle because Yoshi is not that high of material. This ties into the Fox thing when he and Fox really deserve to be where Fox is right now. Unless you play like a god, or can somehow program Fox differently, Fox is a challenge, bar none, offline or online.

Fox is more mid-tier material, like Yoshi or Falco.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
That's a tier list of how easy the character is to play online, not overall effectiveness as a character.

_SoRa_

Smash Cadet
Frankly, no. Any tier list where Sheik is at the bottom is definitely not accurate... unless it's a tier list of "worst characters".
This tier list if for ONLINE PLAY, Sheik is bad with lag as Fox,Ryu and Shulk because she is a precise character, fast movement, many inputs, unlike Mario and Sonic. She is the best character in the game BUT not with lag and online, this obviously don't matter that much but still

Last edited:

MarMarTheGreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dylannumar2
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
That tier list is so accurate for FG Online

I am really good with sheik on offline play but I suck with her online and can barely get a win

BrickBot

Smash Cadet
Welp. It's nice to know that I keep loosing not because i suck. But because of input lag.

BrickBot

Smash Cadet
Yep, sometimes. With lag. Same with forward smash, the game does jab instead when there's lag (WHICH ISN'T EVEN POSSIBLE!!!!! HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN????!!!!!
(With default controls, wii u pro controller and gamepad)
Whats worse is when you go for a jump cancel up smash and all you get is a short hop out of shield. FML

Megamang

Smash Lord
Nearly unpunishable vanish, bouncing fish's insane priority, and unreactable needles means shiek is damn good online too. Just gotta adjust a little.

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
I'm gonna be honest here: I found Fox to be smoother on a big flat screen TV at a smashfest I went to than online.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Also. For anyone who practices mostly online. Get. An. Ethernet. Adapter. 12 bucks for a much much smoother experience.

TAN-MAN

Smash Cadet
NNID
EvitanArt
So would it be recommended to not practice online with fox?

Dr. Bread

Smash Apprentice
i always found it pretty easy to play fox online. people corner themselves, roll in, shield a lot, and have bad out-of-shield timings, commit to approaches, etc.

just spam AC back-airs and utilts on people when they corner themselves, do jab/grab mixups on their shield, be ready to punish a roll-in on reaction, and kill people when they miss techs off of late-nair/landing d-air/ftilt.

also people won't DI your dthrow, so go for fair-uair low%. easy to pull off even when lagging.

Last edited:
Top Bottom