• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why don't you think Olimar isnt very popular?

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
He's not the coolest looking guy, and there is a stigma that he's bad. Plus he has a high skill cap so people don't understand him that well right off the bat.

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
Seeing as how he has among the least amount of sent replays in both the 3DS & Wii U versions in FG FFA & Teams (yet he still reaches 100 in FG 1v1 somehow), his unpopularity is definitely real. He's among the most complex, yet apparently campy of characters, even though he's very much capable of aggressively rushing down folks. He NEEDS Pikmin to do a bunch of his moves, including Smashes, whom also need to be managed (they have their own individual traits to keep track of), and he's pretty light, so without proper DI, he's not likely to stick around for too long.

CaptainOlimar123

Smash Journeyman
Because his play style is very different from other characters. People aren't used to managing pikmin while fighting

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Simple:
  • High curve of learning.
  • Lot of concentration using Pikmen.
  • Very high demanding skills to fully get out his potential.
  • More than average knowledge to succeed using it.
  • Few tools to react without pikmin if you are not wise.
  • "Slow" and Light character.
  • Doesn't look like a cool character tough.

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
He's one of the least straightforward characters?

Also, I don't understand why people would dismiss him because of the whole Pikmin-reliance thing. I mean, they're essentially a part of him and his moveset.

Indexxical!

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-0469-2438-4789
I think it's because a lot of people don't want to take the time to learn what each pikmin do. The amount of options may seem overwhelming. You know what they say about human beings when they have too many choices.

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
Because when you run close to the edge or get up from the ledge the pikmin lag WTF!!!!!! Lol

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
I mean he isn't much worse, and he's got a plethora of new tools such as not dying when offstage, and the ability to do CQC well.
I agree with you now, but when I first picked him up, I found him nearly unplayable.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
That was the worst one.
Don't hate on my boy Captain Lamar.

Captain Lamar > Alph

Anyway, I really like Olimar. I don't play him in the right way by any means. It's not that I don't know how to, but I just have way more fun being aggro with him. People that I talk to say Olimar is one of the few characters that can aid you even when you don't have much skill, meaning he's "braindead" , but compared to Luigi I think he's fine and gives a good name to high tiers much like Fox and arguably Villager. When other people go to Falcon just to have fun, I go to Olimar.

Maybe it's because he's not busted like other characters.

Last edited:

-The Gucci Fairy-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Risingthunder55
Don't hate on my boy Captain Lamar.

Captain Lamar > Alph

Anyway, I really like Olimar. I don't play him in the right way by any means. It's not that I don't know how to, but I just have way more fun being aggro with him. People that I talk to say Olimar is one of the few characters that can aid you even when you don't have much skill, meaning he's "braindead" , but compared to Luigi I think he's fine and gives a good name to high tiers much like Fox and arguably Villager. When other people go to Falcon just to have fun, I go to Olimar.

Maybe it's because he's not busted like other characters.
Yo i didnt respond to what you said in matchup because thats strictly the matchup thread, but since this is just another open thread and im going by the guidelines, Ima respond here.

There isn't a right way to play any character, as long as you can make it work and you are successful then by any means you do you. People who claim Olimar is braindead are very ignorant, there is a lot of micro managing involved as well as knowing when to fall back and when to go in (mediocre frame date can't really contest with that much lol) , I agree with what you said luigi has his downthrow that can literally work even into kill percents with a good read and especially if he gets a down throw into his luiginado thats a kill at like 60-70% at town and city , or earlier on other stages depending if you get hit by his last hit near the upper blast zone, and even for some characters for most percents, down throw to UP B is a true combo..I've even had some luigi's misfire on me three times on me one match , he has alot of things going for him.

Olimar's moves can be out prioritzed by nearly a good 3/4''s of the cast, landing is a difficult thing against a good player, fast moves and jabs beat him and he dies super early in comparison to falcon who can last for quite a long time into the 160%+, olimar's frame data is pretty mediocre in comparison to much of the cast and especially top tiers, the best thing going for him is range tbh, but with most characters, closing the gap isn't as hard as people make it seem.

You will find so many people who abhor olimar because he just sits and spams projectiles and people can't distinguish easily smashes from side B tosses to grabs, but in reality they have no idea of the matchup and are prolly quite inexperienced and flustered and the sight of things, as being known for being the defensive character in the eyes of the rest of the smash community, defensive play just isn't what people like to see and talk down for it, I mean look at dabuz , he does what he needs to do to win , but people think hes boring to watch and he just sits there and waits, but people don't know what thought processes go on in his head and people only like to see whats from the outside rather than whats going on in their heads. Its sort of like how people hated brawl because they said it was floaty and everything was slow, those were the people who don't even play brawl, I can guarantee you the pros who played brawl at its highest level would care to disagree as they knew alot of the inner workings of the game and thus have a greater appreciation for all the things that happen when the matches come out.

Personal pet peeve of mind, but I mean people enjoy the game how they want to and I respect their opinion on how good games should go. Olimar is far from braindead, if he whiffs a grab , the other player can easily punish and convert olimar's floatyness into a huge wad of damage ultimately making him lose a stock. Skill comes in many different forms, and I like to categorized them as mental skill and technical skill, with technical being outwitting the player but being able to do complex things like teching the stage or timing the whistle then b reversing your momentum to change your landing, while observing all the habits of the player (mental skill) and capitalizing it with your playstyle and outplaying them which is what good olimars do best despite his short comings...But back to the matter... I could ramble on and on about how there is a signficiant skill gap when playing a good olimar especially grasping the mental skill he requires to outmaneuver top tiers and avoid being killed being the tiny spaceman he is... but hey people are people, meaning not much I can really do to change people's minds, once they're set on it.

Last edited:

Man of shame

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ManOfShame
simple he's missing three things these are:
  1. the ability to have 4 pikmin
  2. the ability to have 5 pikmin
  3. the ability to have 6 pikmin

-The Gucci Fairy-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Risingthunder55
simple he's missing three things these are:
  1. the ability to have 4 pikmin
  2. the ability to have 5 pikmin
  3. the ability to have 6 pikmin
I agree I miss that too, but his recovery and its ability to be controlled is quite nice, what I really miss for sure are his faster grabs and my long lost longer blue grab range.. and his faster upsmash from brawl.........................:c

Last edited:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Olimar is pretty terrible in Free For All.

Realized that while playing Classic.

Alph Aran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlphSquad
It's tough to get 2+ KOs in two-minute For Glory Team Smash matches. Sometimes I get 3, but that's pretty much only when a teammate just doesn't finish the job. I'd like to say he's still a solid choice because you can survive a match with no falls while your teammate has two falls.

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
I wonder how many olimar mains have played any pikmin games and if that has to do with why no-one plays oli that much, I had a choice between pikmin 3 or I think Mario party and I'm glad I chose pikmin 3 I didn't even know what the game was about but I'm a pikmin lover from now on

Alph Aran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlphSquad
I wonder how many olimar mains have played any pikmin games and if that has to do with why no-one plays oli that much, I had a choice between pikmin 3 or I think Mario party and I'm glad I chose pikmin 3 I didn't even know what the game was about but I'm a pikmin lover from now on
I only played a demo of Pikmin 2 at Wal-Mart and watched a playthrough of Pikmin 3. Still hooked on how the series play out despite not getting to play a full game.

Last edited:

Alph Aran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlphSquad
I only played a demo of Pikmin 2 at Wal-Mart and watched a playthrough of Pikmin 3. Still hooked on how the series play out despite not getting to play a full game.
The games weren't the reason I picked up Olimar in Brawl. In fact, I don't think I ever thought much about Pikmin and Pikmin 2 the entire time I had Brawl. My playstyle just fits him the most out of all the characters, and it still does in this game, despite me neglecting to play as him transitioning to this game early on. Thought the changes hurt him too much.

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805

Olimar actually gets better in FFAs with Customs On in Tourney Mode at least, especially if the multiple legal stages are available for (counter)picking, because we get to run 332x or 331x (I personally pick Up 1 & Down 3), because the 3... 3 moves are fantastic at shaking up whole crowds.

Neutral 3's explosions can not only affect the entire crowd, but it'll also protect you on both sides when you're plucking Pikmin with the whole crowd trying to gang up on you. Said explosions can also KO folks that are at 100+%, especially if the next Pikmin you're about to pluck is a Reggie/Purple Pikmin. The amount of HP that Neutral 3's Pikmin have are the lowest of the 3, so you'll need to pluck up Pikmin more often. Thankfully, the next move happens to synergize with their expend-ability quite well...

Side 3 makes every Pikmin behave like the Reggies, in that they'll bowl through everyone in its way, hitting them out of attacks and possibly either getting you inside or away from them. Edgeguarding with this is awesome, because you can have up to 3 active hitboxes sailing in the opponent's airspace, along with your NAir being the 4th active hitbox. You'll likely be losing Pikmin quickly with this, which will make the next move more effective....

With Neutral 3's expend-ability status being the greatest, your Up 1 will likely function better than ever, since your Pikmin will likely be gone when you use this, due to said Pikmin getting either KO'd or flung off-stage beforehand. NAir will be your most reliable attack option because of the last sentence, so keep that in mind.

Not sure how good Up 2 would be in FFAs. It SEEMS like it could be a quick vertical getaway option with windbox pushbacks on both sides, but the only move you'll be able to reliably do on the way up is NAir, and if your fingers/button placements aren't fast/convenient enough, you'll probably not even get THAT out before going into the helpless falling state. I'm willing to give it a shot, but Up 1's overall flexibility in attacking during it MIGHT be too much to give up. To help us stick around longer, our normally defensive lineup-reorganizing Whistle can also gain offensive capabilities....

Down 3, for as much hate that it gets for not having Super Armor and being among the slowest of the Whistles, can definitely turn around the whole crowd on both sides (even if they're close enough to get hit twice), acting as a Panic Whistle-blowing maneuver for when seemingly the entire crowd has their Smashes or other high-damage/KO power moves aimed at you, and said moves can possibly be redirected to hit someone else instead. It may not be as good at gimping recoveries by itself like Mario's Cape is, due to its 2nd hit kicking them out of helpless states, but it can at least set up for our other gimping tools, and it can cover the other side of you in case someone else is trying to edgeguard you and your target.

Last edited:

Indexxical!

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-0469-2438-4789

I used to think this way too. Then once I started being more conscious of my line-up, I found that Olimar when paired with a buddy is actually quite frightening.

Olimar's pikmin act like huge speed bumps that can negate the spammy Samus all the way in the corner. :)

Master Morrison

Smash Cadet
I'm going to catch up with the thread and give my opinion on all
I think he is not very popular because people think he is a cowardly character in favor of hit and run and its reliance on being poorly designed (pikmin making same sounds whether tossed it smashed attacks) and how "unfair" it is that he can block projectiles and deal DOT without having to appoach
I think the worst transition olimar has had coming from brawl
Is the pikmin limitation from 6-3 I don't think it was a balance issue but more a 3ds issue
The huge recovery time from his grab and the nerf to his grab range and the removal of his kill throws purple up and blue back throw have been exchanged for a blue up throw that ko's only after 150 which by then any smash or bair would do the same
Also don't like the changes to all his smashes that make all his smashes to projectiles which means he is forced to fight without relying on most of his moves
I also have to say the worse change after the pikmin change to his up smash
Is the need to his upair
His upair was godlike before negating the first hit it did when it collided and the second hit would hit the opponent and continue hitting
Red would do amazing damage with it

I actually have played the pikmin games and enjoy them And can't wait for the next game to come out
As far as customs go
I think his dizzy whistle still has super armor
Is there any sources stating that there isn't armor on it anymore?
Also dizzy whistle is a great move because it has transcending hitboxes that will hit opponents out of it and turn them around
It can't be used like Mario's cap to Gimp because it causes flinch so they can just up b again if it
But it gives you a nice advantage when used on an opponent because it makes them flinch, turn around, then (if fast faller) land which gives a lot of time for punishes I always down smash or fsmash
I think tackle toss is the best custom because it blocks/nulls projectiles and can hit the opponent
And at low percents they can cause opponents to trip which is nice to follow up with a grab
I don't use he other plucks because they have a really weird effect on the pikmin's grab range
They don't go as far as they do with normal grab range
And purple is so bad that the grab box is behind olimar when he dash grabs lol
Also I don't think any of the other plucks are worth the trade off of having the option to get pikmin fast enough with their increased recovery since most die and fall of the stage quickly
And the knock back on explosive pluck isn't good enough to take advantage of it
I know
I wrote too much

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
I've played close to 10000 2v2 FG matches, and I think I may have seen Olimar about 5 times at most.

Here's what I think of Olimar, considering I don't use him. He is just not a fun character to use. Attacks are pretty weak. Range isnt great, and hard to kill with him.

Last edited:

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I've played close to 10000 2v2 FG matches, and I think I may have seen Olimar about 5 times at most.

Here's what I think of Olimar, considering I don't use him. He is just not a fun character to use. Attacks are pretty weak. Range isnt great, and hard to kill with him.
He has ridiculous kill power, amazing range, and isn't weak. What????

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad Olimar isn't seen as much. I'd rather not use a character that everyone else uses.

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
Honestly the are 2 rewarding things about olimar and that's landing a spike and playing keep away from pacman, megaman and Rob when they throw their crap at you haha other than that I am bored playing olimar right now

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
Pikmin is one of my favorite series and my experience with the games is the main reason why I was super excited to play Olimar in Brawl and continue to use him in Smash 4. I'm not totally sure why I enjoy the Pikmin series so much, but I think it has something to do with how good the games are at making you feel like you're really exploring an unknown world full of all the dangers and treasures you might expect in such an adventure.

I think you're probably right though. I get the impression that Pikmin doesn't have an especially visible or vocal fanbase, even if the games seem to sell okay. I feel like that might have an impact on how many people choose to play as Olimar in Smash, especially since he doesn't necessarily have the cool looks or flashy play style (as Myran pointed out) that probably would make him more popular among people who aren't as familiar with the Pikmin series.

I'm glad Olimar isn't seen as much. I'd rather not use a character that everyone else uses.
I like how Olimar is kind of unique, yeah. I don't think him being at Little Mac levels of popularity in online play would really affect how much I used him, but I sort of feel like your connection to a character can be stronger when he/she isn't as popular.

Last edited:
Top Bottom