• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why don't I see Puffs Shield-Drop Upair?

Low5_

Smash Apprentice
Having recently started implementing Shield-Drops into my game, I have gained insane mileage from SD --> Falling Upair on fastfallers, or even to wrack damage on floaties. I'm just wondering why I don't see much discussion or play involving it. It seems like tech that's easier to be consistent with than most basic spacies shenanigans.

Massive

Smash Champion
What situation are you using shield drop > uair on fastfallers?

Puff's fall speed is pretty slow, and makes shield dropping for a lot of purposes a possibly unsafe practice (I have gotten fox usmashed after shield dropping a shielded bair, for example). It has great utility for escape and punishing long lag, but I'm still not convinced it has the utility it does with spacies.

Low5_

Smash Apprentice
I've only ever used it aggressively when I have a good idea of what the opposing player's habits are. While the window is longer due to her slow falling speed, it's definitely small enough to catch someone off guard with a potential shield poke or platform tech-chasing punish. It's definitely not as reliable as falco's SD --> Bair, or Falcon's Upair, but it seems underused to me. Puff needs and should use all the options she has mediocre and advanced whether it be for mixups or reads.

Low5_

Smash Apprentice
I was also thinking of using it as a mixup/(almost safer) way to tomahawk on a platform.

Last edited:

Massive

Smash Champion
Shield dropping is a fantastic thing to use defensively, IMO.

Offensively there are only a few niche situations where I think it'd be useful. Something like shield drop dair could be awesome in some situations but that would arguably be one of the most technically challenging things you could do as puff.

aDavid4

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4356-1358-2819
Shield drop drill into grab (2difficult4me)

Last edited:

SlyDog

Smash Cadet
As a player who is still learning things such as shield-dropping I wouldn't know too much about this. I don't know about Shield-drop -> up-air, however I've been told that if you shield a Marth up-tilt (or a f-smash I don't entirely remember) and shield-drop (from platform) you get a practically guaranteed rest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom