• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why don't I see more footstooling to recover?

gojira345

Smash Apprentice
Why don't I see more people footstooling on the edge to recover?
When watching some tourney vids, I noticed that they would get right next to the guy if they couldn't go any further, then up b and fall to their deaths from very close. If you are that close, why not jam on the jump button? You can footstool characters on the edge, especially big ones like DDD, and up b to make it back. It won't move them an inch, but they will be like "WTF"

I've seen it mentioned on Olimar topics and such, but never ever seen anyone use it.

Has anyone got a vid of someone footstooling a ledgehanger to save themselves?

Mmac

Smash Lord
Well, it's going to be really situational, because not everybody is going to put them into a position to jump on their head.

And if you're that close, you could just attack them off anyways, then UpB. Not to mention, wouldn't you make it back with a Footstool anyways?

Fino

Smash Master
because it definitely makes sense to just hang on the ledge when you're close enough to footstool. characters with good ledge game will bair your or something. You don't stand a chance pulling it off ( hence what mmac said).
Even if you are close enough, and they don't have good ledge game, they'll pull up, let you get the up B boost and then try to smack you up a bit
or W/E
I'm not going to point out everything, but I'm just saying, that it's not really going to happen a whole lot. If you can do it, all the power too you, I'll prolly forget and just use the momentum from my second jump and the boost from the Uspecial just to get back on ( and go for that lag-less land).

Now for the times characters like marth will f/bair you, perhaps whistling into a footstool might be something to chew on. Haven't tried it personally

~Fino

gojira345

Smash Apprentice
I think you guys miss the point. You guys just gave me a list of reasons it doesn't work on paper, but I've seen so many vids on youtube where this would have saved an Olimar's life.

Sure, that Mario or DDD or Marth COULD have baired the Olimar, but after his second jump they DIDN'T for some ungodly reason (probably so that they don't get gimped in return) and the Olimar falls THROUGH their body, up bs, and KOs himself. If your going to attempt to aerial them off, or give up and up b, at least jam the jump button as well. Besides, if you are already jamming jump and they jump off to hit you, hilarity may ensue.

Also, the whistle thing sounds devilishly clever. Whistle into footstool would just crush your opponents soul.

Seriously though, think back to how many times someone has just held the ledge on you, not moving, and you past through their body.

Even if invincible, and you are halfway into their torso, you can footstool. I completely dissapeared into a Bowser and did it.

I'm going to add that whistle, and if it doesn't work I'll just spam fair and jump.

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
What I'm really suprised I don't see more of is uair to knock off edge hogs. Best protection Oli has against it, bar none

Snail

Smash Lord
I'd guess Fair is more effective to knock off edge hogs because you're usually not coming from below. :/ As for footstooling... I've never tried it. It might work but then again if you're that close, couldn't Up+B over the edge do the trick as well?

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
I'd guess Fair is more effective to knock off edge hogs because you're usually not coming from below. :/ As for footstooling... I've never tried it. It might work but then again if you're that close, couldn't Up+B over the edge do the trick as well?
I always save my djump when I can for when I'm right below the stage. It's the safest place for Oli against most opponents.

Snail

Smash Lord
I always save my djump when I can for when I'm right below the stage. It's the safest place for Oli against most opponents.
Ah, I see. I should try that once. I usually try to end up right in front of the ledge so I can try using the little up+B boost to get over it, but it usually gets me baired in the face. >.>

gojira345

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, this is for those situations where double jump is used, your up b WILL NOT carry you over, and Olimar ends up going THROUGH the opponent. Just ram jump once inside them. Third jump. Best on Bowser/DK.

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
I don't footstool much. This is largely because footstooling is difficult to do without getting hit. Footstool on ledge does sound interesting, though...

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
I think you guys miss the point. You guys just gave me a list of reasons it doesn't work on paper, but I've seen so many vids on youtube where this would have saved an Olimar's life.

Sure, that Mario or DDD or Marth COULD have baired the Olimar, but after his second jump they DIDN'T for some ungodly reason (probably so that they don't get gimped in return) and the Olimar falls THROUGH their body, up bs, and KOs himself. If your going to attempt to aerial them off, or give up and up b, at least jam the jump button as well. Besides, if you are already jamming jump and they jump off to hit you, hilarity may ensue.

Also, the whistle thing sounds devilishly clever. Whistle into footstool would just crush your opponents soul.

Seriously though, think back to how many times someone has just held the ledge on you, not moving, and you past through their body.

Even if invincible, and you are halfway into their torso, you can footstool. I completely dissapeared into a Bowser and did it.

I'm going to add that whistle, and if it doesn't work I'll just spam fair and jump.
Let's not get hasty, shall we...It sounds as though you think you're better than them...

Top Bottom