• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why don't falcons win major tourneys?

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
It's always a Fox, or a Marth, or a Peach, why not Falcon? Is it that all the characters have better techs than him, he can't be so high on the tier and not win tourneys can he? I just don't understand how he rarely wins a major.

BauxFalcon

Smash Apprentice
It's always a Fox, or a Marth, or a Peach, why not Falcon? Is it that all the characters have better techs than him, he can't be so high on the tier and not win tourneys can he? I just don't understand how he rarely wins a major.
He hasn't won a major since 07, no one has had a good falcon since hax, and our best falcon, S2j, doesn't even make top 8 in majors. No one knows how to use him, nor uses him seriously.

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
He hasn't won a major since 07, no one has had a good falcon since hax, and our best falcon, S2j, doesn't even make top 8 in majors. No one knows how to use him, nor uses him seriously.
so why is he s tier then? If nobody knows how to use him, and players can't even get top 8, I don't understand his high placing on the tier. I get that Isai and Hax showed what he can do, but even then, he hasn't won a major since 07, like you said. What is it that makes him to hard to use anyway?

Dandy_here

Smash Journeyman
Im also wondering that. I think it has to just be that falcon relies on getting reads and being up in your face. The problem is that the majority of the other top characters have projectiles. Also falcon mains suffer from only playing falcon the top top 3 players are dual mains. Therefore falcon mains have it really hard.

EZPZ

Smash Apprentice
Because the top 6 have won nearly everything and none of them main Falcon. Honestly it's nothing more than that. If like Mango or Armada happened to main Falcon then Falcon would be winning Majors. IMHO it's almost purely a player skill thing more than a character deficiency. If Mango holds to his promise and mains Falcon after EVO I wouldn't be surprised if Falcon wins a major or two in the next couple years.

EZPZ

Smash Apprentice
meh, I don't think S2J not adapting mechanical tech chases and stuff is really holding him back. The way he plays falcon is probably the peak of his potential and I don't think he's the type of player who would be better playing that methodically.

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
If mango is going to main Falcon after evo, why is that I saw somewhere else he believes Falcon can't win a major?

BauxFalcon

Smash Apprentice
falcon is not reliant on reads and aggression, this is an awful misconception

the reason why falcon has not won a national is because:
1) no falcon main is on that level yet
2) some of the most popular characters in the game (fox falco sheik) are falcons worst matchups
(his only losing matchups imo)
3) the best falcon main, s2j, is not a fan of some new technology and strategies, in some cases calling it "gay" or "lame" over social media. hes entirely entitled to play the way he wants.
4) many people want falcon to be that "hype" character, and criticize people that play him otherwise
I'm confused, what new tech does he not like? And really, neutral is supposed to be gay and boring to watch, the combos are really the hype stuff.

EZPZ

Smash Apprentice
If mango is going to main Falcon after evo, why is that I saw somewhere else he believes Falcon can't win a major?
He said if Armada switches to Fox he will go Falcon after Evo to save Melee from everybody playing Fox. And he and PPMD have both said multiple times they believe Falcon is underrated and can win a major.

The biggest factor is the part that Falcon is not really that good. CF is certainly one of the better characters to choose in the game, but compared to the other characters Fox, Falco, Peach, Sheik, and Marth he falls a bit short.

He has access to good punishes that do not rely upon guess work. However, this often times revolves around playing fairly anti-falcon. By that I mean replacing situations where you might be tempted to throw in a Fair/Dair/RapterBoost with say an Uair, Bair, or Grab.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8yKWtB2nOg
@5:24 We have a Dthrow and pull back short hop that completely allows forward roll or tech in place to go unpunished. But, it "works" because the opponent made the 1/3 option to go in that direction. Situations like that I do not think will allow CF to ever take a national. However, there are others issues too.

Despite recovery for Fox/Falco being bad they still have a surprising number of options when you factor in SideB cancels and the ability to UpB straight to the ledge (fox upper platform) with a narrow time window to punish. Its tricky and there is variety in there that Falcon simply does not have.

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
He said if Armada switches to Fox he will go Falcon after Evo to save Melee from everybody playing Fox. And he and PPMD have both said multiple times they believe Falcon is underrated and can win a major.
It's stuff like everyone maining Fox that I fear will be Melee's end. I really do hope he switches to Falcon, players like Wobbles, PewPewU and Amsa are players that we need to see more of. If Wobbles could dominate with Ice Climbers, I'm sure there's a player than can take majors with CF, let's hope Mango can pull it off!

D

Deleted member

falcon is not reliant on reads and aggression, this is an awful misconception

the reason why falcon has not won a national is because:
1) no falcon main is on that level yet
2) some of the most popular characters in the game (fox falco sheik) are falcons worst matchups
(his only losing matchups imo)
3) the best falcon main, s2j, is not a fan of some new technology and strategies, in some cases calling it "gay" or "lame" over social media. hes entirely entitled to play the way he wants.
4) many people want falcon to be that "hype" character, and criticize people that play him otherwise

when did I ever call anything gay over social media rofl. When did I ever say a certain new technology or strategy is lame. I only called the 20gx falcons "lame" over twitter once

I'm a fan of your new vids, but I really really dislike when people spread outright lies about me. You're no better than some dumb **** from reddit. sorry. peace

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
The biggest factor is the part that Falcon is not really that good. CF is certainly one of the better characters to choose in the game, but compared to the other characters Fox, Falco, Peach, Sheik, and Marth he falls a bit short.

He has access to good punishes that do not rely upon guess work. However, this often times revolves around playing fairly anti-falcon. By that I mean replacing situations where you might be tempted to throw in a Fair/Dair/RapterBoost with say an Uair, Bair, or Grab.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8yKWtB2nOg
@5:24 We have a Dthrow and pull back short hop that completely allows forward roll or tech in place to go unpunished. But, it "works" because the opponent made the 1/3 option to go in that direction. Situations like that I do not think will allow CF to ever take a national. However, there are others issues too.

Despite recovery for Fox/Falco being bad they still have a surprising number of options when you factor in SideB cancels and the ability to UpB straight to the ledge (fox upper platform) with a narrow time window to punish. Its tricky and there is variety in there that Falcon simply does not have.
I'll point out the things that I don't understand about your argument.

In red: That's a good thing that means the character has potential to place at the very top no? The typical Falcon playstyle is the community's perception of Falcon, but that doesn't necessarily mean there can't be players who go against that. That's kind of what 20GX is: showing players a different playstyle of Falcon that doesn't necessarily revolve around hard reads, but rather reaction.

In green: Fox and Falco's recovery isn't bad. They have two options, a side B and up B, more than other characters can say. Falcon, Sheik and Marth have an up B (Marth has a side B stall but still only an up B), so their options are basically as limited as Falcon's. But they are capable of winning nationals, so why not Falcon?

D

Deleted member

I made top 8 at sandstorm after a 3 month break (best win was Wobbles), 2nd at Super Nebulous beating pretty good people (Kirbykaze) and got 9th at Press Start after getting DQ'd out of winners ( 0% my fault, and if it was one of MacD's friends in our car I guarantee we wouldn't have gotten DQ'd)

They are obvious far from strong results but I am definitely a pretty good contender for top 8 at big tournaments, but just like the people at my skill level there's some level of bracket luck required. I still learn a lot from each tournament I go to and don't see a real stop to my improvement in the near future.

Also, Hax was indeed awesome for his time, but he could not adapt to the new fox/falco metagame (you can't just spam nairs all day and win anymore) and sold out to Fox.

Falcon is a good character. Bare minimum, he is an awesome pick vs marth and most relevant floaties such as Ice Climbers that other people struggle badly with even if they are fox.

I'm simply just not as good skillwise as the people above me, not yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never thought it was a negative trait. Its part of the reason Falcon is considered a good tournament character. I simply thought much of the player base prefer to play Falcon in a way that is not always the most optimal decision. Opting for a more a more sub-optimal play-style since its more enjoyable. This simply limits the number of players to look at for bringing Falcon some more reputation.

As far as recovery I will go with a better example with Marth compared to falcon. One thing is drift speed in combination with sideB stall. Its allows him to get to get closer to the stage without burning a 2nd jump. Not to mention SideB itself if timed right can stuff attempts at hitting marth offstage. With Marth's disjoint on aerials allows him to counter some edgeguard actions against him offstage when used in tandem with 2nd jump by flat out beating other opposing aerials. The speed on UpB as well as the active hitbox limits several options that could be used against Marth and narrows the window to punish him.

Falcon on the other hand is stuck with standard recovery options of 2nd jump and UpB (air dodge so I am not chewed out for including everything). He will get DownB -> 2nd jump back, but with the duration and falling speed he often cannot make much use of it like Ganon can in several situations. With no stalling options and fast falling speed he cannot wait out people on the ledge for as long or other type of evasion. His UpB is slow as well and makes the idea of sweet spotting the ledge rather difficult with the overhead loop his legs go through before grabbing the ledge. The hitbox on UpB is usually beaten out by something as simple as Nair. Plus, the idea of doing a 2nd jump attack puts him at risk for trades. Marth can avoid trades more regularly due to disjoint.

The main idea is that Falcon's recovery simply has very few options and its a negative trait that works against him more so than say Fox/Falco/Peach/Marth/Sheik. This will not make him necessarily a bad character on its own, but its part of the reason CF is typically seen as 7th on tier lists over the ages.

I think there is no getting around the fact that there are better characters than Falcon. There are enough characters and enough good players as well that we can expect to see Falcon not really taking first in a national as often. I expect Falcon to achieve it more so than with Samus, but there will simply be more negative traits that Falcon has to put up with than some better characters.

Last edited:

BauxFalcon

Smash Apprentice
I made top 8 at sandstorm after a 3 month break (best win was Wobbles), 2nd at Super Nebulous beating pretty good people (Kirbykaze) and got 9th at Press Start after getting DQ'd out of winners ( 0% my fault, and if it was one of MacD's friends in our car I guarantee we wouldn't have gotten DQ'd)

They are obvious far from strong results but I am definitely a pretty good contender for top 8 at big tournaments, but just like the people at my skill level there's some level of bracket luck required. I still learn a lot from each tournament I go to and don't see a real stop to my improvement in the near future.

Also, Hax was indeed awesome for his time, but he could not adapt to the new fox/falco metagame (you can't just spam nairs all day and win anymore) and sold out to Fox.

Falcon is a good character. Bare minimum, he is an awesome pick vs marth and most relevant floaties such as Ice Climbers that other people struggle badly with even if they are fox.

==

no offense, but you guys love to spew wrong **** like its nothing, peace
Thanks for correcting me man. Hope you can get top 8 at Evo!

KneeJustice

Smash Rookie

S2J, I know you've called 20GX lame in the past (how serious you are I'm not entirely sure) so I have two questions:

1) In your recent interview with Tafo you said that you were a stubborn player, and also that you don't like getting unsolicited advice. However, would you ever consider adapting some of the 20GX findings to your own personal style if you found them valuable? Can you use a "lame" tech in service to your "flashy" style? (btw, I personally don't buy into the polarized descriptions of 20GX, but let's stick with this terminology for convenience).

2) If you don't think that 20GX is the way forward (at least for you) what other areas of the game (or yourself as a player) are you working on? I'm guessing edge-guarding (^^) and shield dropping are personal aspects of the game you can improve? These aren't so much "innovations" as catching up with other top players, no? That makes sense from a "putting the horse (mastering existing tech) before the cart (future tech)" perspective.

Do you have a larger philosophical approach to expanding Falcon's metagame (re: 20GX)? Since you are starting a stream soon (right?) it might be helpful to hear from the Falcon standard bearer about your personal journey so far and what you think it will be necessary to master as an up-and-comer and in the next few years (for yourself, for Falcons in general).

(I will say that for me personally, 20GX is a great idea because it brings hope to new falcons by emphasizing that the character has tools that have not been totally explored or perfected. This is healthy for the scene as a whole because it encourages younger players to pick up this awesome character. However, I think that 20GX have a messaging/PR problem in that they have kind of defined themselves in opposition to other falcon play styles, such as yours (at least some perceive this to be the case). However, I hope that rather than one driving ideology, Falcons may synthesize the teachings of the many great Falcons of today to create something even stronger in the future.)

Keep kicking ass dude! We all (everyone, unanimously) want Johnny Kim to break into the top 10 and deliver a shock of Justice straight to the heart of the competition!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1. My purpose of that interview was to be entertaining. Take what I say on streams with a grain of salt. I am stubborn though, but not as stubborn as I used to be, not even close. Getting unsolicited advice, then those people getting mad at you afterwards for not taking it is dumb af though

Of course I would consider their stuff. Currently I'm doing everything I can to be the best player I can be. Also, I'm not qualified to say whether their techs are lame or not.

Also, I made what I felt would be an entertaining jibe on twitter saying they were lame when I was drunk and laying on Aziz's floor trying to sleep night 2 of Super Nebs. It was not my intention to start some dumb beef-war with 20GX at all and it's annoying I got involved in some full ****** smash drama because Gravy overreacted to being called lame

I am actually good friends with Ghatzu even though we literally disagree on everything. Wizzy's also hella chill too and he's only 17. Gravy I've never met in real life. I will prob at CEO.

2. As aforementioned, I have not watched a single 20GX stream. But my interactions with Ghatzu/ Gravy (they both tried to help me unsolicited) make it seem like they probably want their viewers to play a certain way. I don't agree with that at all but w.e.

My edgeguarding when I'm not playing ****ty is actually way better than it used to be. I used to only try to react when really vs spacies you want to read them. My edgeguarding success rate, while still not amazing is about 3x better than it used to be.

For shield-dropping, after my controller broke right before top 8 at Bam7, I'm using a brand new white controller that shield drops like 50x easier than my old one. Sadly it's a piece of **** but I know how to shield-drop pretty well IMHO and i'm doing my best to incorporate it as soon as possible because it's broken and a game-changer. I'm already using it in tournament sets but not at the level of those who been doing it for a year+ obv

I don't really have a set philosophy about expanding Falcon's metagame. I also don't really like preaching how one should play Melee when you literally have 5-6 options for every situation. But to each their own. . Outside of obvious choices in spots, people should IMO try more to figure things out for themselves rather than be told exactly what to do. It's not street fighter 4.

Currently though I think having a strong, balanced style is the way to play and you want to adapt moreso to the player than the character matchup (unless you are playing against a **** mid-tier which you can camp for the W). Falcon has the tools to go fast/slow/ campy/ aggressive/jank/ creative stuff. Watch me vs Kirbykaze at Super Nebs as the set progresses, pretty good set by me IMHO except for the bad game 1

==

Honestly, Falcon's recovery is good, just not on FD for obv reasons

KneeJustice

Smash Rookie
1. My purpose of that interview was to be entertaining. Take what I say on streams with a grain of salt. I am stubborn though, but not as stubborn as I used to be, not even close. Getting unsolicited advice, then those people getting mad at you afterwards for not taking it is dumb af though

Of course I would consider their stuff. Currently I'm doing everything I can to be the best player I can be. Also, I'm not qualified to say whether their techs are lame or not.

Also, I made what I felt would be an entertaining jibe on twitter saying they were lame when I was drunk and laying on Aziz's floor trying to sleep night 2 of Super Nebs. It was not my intention to start some dumb beef-war with 20GX at all and it's annoying I got involved in some full ****** smash drama because Gravy overreacted to being called lame

I am actually good friends with Ghatzu even though we literally disagree on everything. Wizzy's also hella chill too and he's only 17. Gravy I've never met in real life. I will prob at CEO.

2. As aforementioned, I have not watched a single 20GX stream. But my interactions with Ghatzu/ Gravy (they both tried to help me unsolicited) make it seem like they probably want their viewers to play a certain way. I don't agree with that at all but w.e.

My edgeguarding when I'm not playing ****ty is actually way better than it used to be. I used to only try to react when really vs spacies you want to read them. My edgeguarding success rate, while still not amazing is about 3x better than it used to be.

For shield-dropping, after my controller broke right before top 8 at Bam7, I'm using a brand new white controller that shield drops like 50x easier than my old one. Sadly it's a piece of **** but I know how to shield-drop pretty well IMHO and i'm doing my best to incorporate it as soon as possible because it's broken and a game-changer. I'm already using it in tournament sets but not at the level of those who been doing it for a year+ obv

I don't really have a set philosophy about expanding Falcon's metagame. I also don't really like preaching how one should play Melee when you literally have 5-6 options for every situation. But to each their own. . Outside of obvious choices in spots, people should IMO try more to figure things out for themselves rather than be told exactly what to do. It's not street fighter 4.

Currently though I think having a strong, balanced style is the way to play and you want to adapt moreso to the player than the character matchup (unless you are playing against a **** mid-tier which you can camp for the W). Falcon has the tools to go fast/slow/ campy/ aggressive/jank/ creative stuff. Watch me vs Kirbykaze at Super Nebs as the set progresses, pretty good set by me IMHO except for the bad game 1

==

Thanks for the response S2J!

I dont think you necessarily have to "preach how one should play Melee" but I think that if/when you do set up your stream, I (and I bet a whole bunch of other people) would really love hearing you do a walkthrough/analysis of some of your sets. Like, why you chose "option a" over "option b" in "situation c". Then, we'd be seeing how you play/think about the game even if you aren't willing to extend that and make a claim about what is best for everyone else, which is totally fair.

I have a few quick follow ups too:

1) You said:
Would you mind expanding on this a bit? What is the new fox/falco metagame (as you see it) and how do you personally adapt to and counter this if not nair walls?

2) Also,

Xeylode said:
Falcon on the other hand is stuck with standard recovery options of 2nd jump and UpB (air dodge so I am not chewed out for including everything). He will get DownB -> 2nd jump back, but with the duration and falling speed he often cannot make much use of it like Ganon can in several situations. With no stalling options and fast falling speed he cannot wait out people on the ledge for as long or other type of evasion. His UpB is slow as well and makes the idea of sweet spotting the ledge rather difficult with the overhead loop his legs go through before grabbing the ledge. The hitbox on UpB is usually beaten out by something as simple as Nair. Plus, the idea of doing a 2nd jump attack puts him at risk for trades. Marth can avoid trades more regularly due to disjoint.

The main idea is that Falcon's recovery simply has very few options and its a negative trait that works against him more so than say Fox/Falco/Peach/Marth/Sheik. This will not make him necessarily a bad character on its own, but its part of the reason CF is typically seen as 7th on tier lists over the ages.
This is a pretty solid description, summarizing most people's perception of falcon's recovery, which, as Xeylode says, is usually perceived to be limited and one of Falcon's greatest weaknesses.

However, you seem to disagree:
Can you give us a better sense of what makes Falcon's recovery "good" in your eyes?

And finally, for fun, do you think that Falcon deserves his place on the current tier list (which is, as Xeylode says, partly a result of the perceived limitations of his recovery)?

D

Deleted member

It's good because with platforms there's a pretty good chances of living especially if you can edge cancel well/ have decent recovery mind games. It is thus horrible on FD.

You can literally keep going higher in certain spots after they keep hitting you and you use platforms to save yourself.

double jump attacking is the bane of every single falcon noob, OFTEN you just want to doublejump sweetspot the edge

If you put yourself into a situation where you get gimped to death, you probably ****ed up bad.

And I disagree that his recovery is outright worse than Shiek's/Marth's, situationally they are better or worse. One thing that comes to mind is lack of horizontal momentum on Shiek's Marth's parts. It is so much harder to use platforms to save yourself than with Falcon.

Fox/Falco for sure have a better recovery

I'd say Falcon is 6/7, I think his potential is greater than Puff's easily so probably 6 as of this day and age

==

As for Hax's falcon, watch him vs zhu/sfat from big house and compare that to Hax vs DJ nintendo's fox (pre 20xx). that's the really lazy way for me to put it but w.e

==

As for streaming/ match analysis that's something I'll definitely plan on but I don't want to create a stream that isn't very high quality

WyzDM

Smash Cadet
S2J's the bomb.

EDIT: Don't let drunk friends use your computer when you're signed on Smashboards.

Last edited:

kingPiano

Smash Ace
IMO it's really simple - C. Falcon has 3 problems at nationals: Fox, Falco, and Sheik.

From a decade of watching this game competitively, and being a huge fan of Falcon as a character it's always the same story when one makes it to the final rounds. Spacies and Sheik consistently overpower him. It may not even be by much sometimes, but it's always enough of a disadvantage even with variances in player skill. As long as those three are being played on a high level by fast, creative, and intelligent mains Falcon will have trouble at nationals. His meta has also been pretty stale over the years compared to the other top tiers, that definitely doesn't help and lends to his predictability.

I think a really creative and unorthodox Falcon could beat the Gods and those three characters I mentioned. I do hope we see one win a national in the near future. As of right now it's still a blast to watch an amazing technical brutally efficient Falcon like S2J or flashy loose canon Falcons like W33dLord and Mango.

Hax where you at?

Last edited:
Top Bottom