• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why doesn't nintendo do something

_kSo_

Smash Master
this will never happen so don't worry about it. no one has ever gotten busted for something like this

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
LOL

Haven't the Copyrights for Old Games Expired?

U.S. copyright laws state that copyrights owned by corporations are valid for 75 years from the date of first publication. Because video games have been around for less than three decades, the copyrights of all video games will not expire for many decades to come.

****. Ill have to go to those vintage game stores for 40 more years, lets I kill nintendo.

Oh wait..

wii?

Wheeee!

1. Hype new console
2. Give jappy *** name to new console
3. ???
4. Profit!

greenblob

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure it goes like this:

1. All emulators are legal.
2. ROMs are legal as long as you make your copy and keep it at that. However certain ROM dumping devices are illegal.
3. ROM distribution/downloading/sharing is illegal.
4. No one really cares.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Yeah, I mean seriously, who buys these games anymore? It's a nice way to keep the community around.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Rom sites give free publicity. Nintendo knows these games are outdated, but there are lots of people who want to play the "old classics." By leaving Rom sites up, you have people playing these games, thus making them into Nintendo fanboys. If they shut down the sites, they would get a bad rep, AND they would lose out on all the free publicity.

piccols8

Smash Rookie
No. There's a law called (something along the lines of) Archive Copy. This allows someone who has lawfully purchased a copy of anythnig, such as a CD or DVD, can legally back it up. The only gray area is that you downloaded it off the internet and technically didn't back it up yourself. Personally, I think I like the elastic clause on this one, because then I'm not breaking the law.

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
I like the law of no one really cares that you download games. If there was something corporations could do about rom sites they would've done it by now, because I know of numerous sites that released GBA games about 1-2 months before they even hit the shelves. Those are not outdated games and the sites aren't giving "free publicity"

Dark_Ermac

Smash Apprentice
Emulators are good.

Not only can people play their favorite games, but they can play them ONLINE, which apparently SOME companies decide not to do.

I mean, come on! Wouldn't it be better to be able to play games on Wii's virtual console online?

Biggum300

Smash Apprentice
nobody cares....you never get busted you know what will happen.(A Police Comes)
Police:You underaressted for downloading Earthbound,Sonic and SSB.
ME:.....Who Cares!

Top Bottom