• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why does Roy's counter bounce people off of the air?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Half the time when I counter my opponent's moves, they go up diagonally, then suddenly they go down diagonally for no appearant reason.

What is this.

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Not necessarily, but they are much more susceptible to it. It has to do with the Fire effect and a glitch in the coding where a counter is registered as a hit and block at the same time, they used to call it the invisible ceiling glitch. For Roy it happens because the opponent is under the fire effect still when the reach the star KO line and it causes something weird to happen - the KB angle is reflected instead of them dying of the top like they are supposed to.

Roy's counter can also has a weird glitch where it's knock-back angle can stack with attacks following it. You counter an attack and then you attack them after countering, so after a counter if you follow up with a regular Fsmash it can possibly send your opponents at negative angles. They have to still be under the fire effect though, so it's hard to do and rare.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
That is so weird xD

Also wait what? So like if they're still under the fire effect and I do an attack to thin air, the knockback will stack? xD

kingPiano

Smash Ace
That is so weird xD

Also wait what? So like if they're still under the fire effect and I do an attack to thin air, the knockback will stack? xD
No you have to land the following attack on them. There are matches where Sethlon and Ninja had pulled it off accidentally.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
No you have to land the following attack on them. There are matches where Sethlon and Ninja had pulled it off accidentally.
Oh I get it.

Negative angles being things like Sheik's fair and Link's semispiek up B?

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Oh I get it.

Negative angles being things like Sheik's fair and Link's semispiek up B?
Link's late grounded UpB hitboxes can have KB angles at a 0 degrees and Shiek's Fair has a 25 degree so those are both technically positive but they appear negative because of how fast gravity occurs. The combined KB angle of the counter glitch can actually create an angle in the 4th quadrant from 270 to 359 degrees I call it negative since it's below the plane.

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Link's late grounded UpB hitboxes can have KB angles at a 0 degrees and Shiek's Fair has a 25 degree so those are both technically positive but they appear negative because of how fast gravity occurs. The combined KB angle of the counter glitch can actually create an angle in the 4th quadrant from 270 to 359 degrees I call it negative since it's below the plane.
Oh dang. Anyone find out how to use that effectively yet, or too situational?

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Oh dang. Anyone find out how to use that effectively yet, or too situational?
It's been known about since like 2008, it's too situational as I said. And also for it to be effective they'd have to be completely off the stage and at high enough percent that the counter or following attack would have killed them at the blast lines anyways.

Last edited:

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
Not necessarily, but they are much more susceptible to it. It has to do with the Fire effect and a glitch in the coding where a counter is registered as a hit and block at the same time, they used to call it the invisible ceiling glitch. For Roy it happens because the opponent is under the fire effect still when the reach the star KO line and it causes something weird to happen - the KB angle is reflected instead of them dying of the top like they are supposed to.
What does it mean that it's registered as a block? Also this doesn't just happen when the opponent hits the top blast zone.

kingPiano

Smash Ace
What does it mean that it's registered as a block? Also this doesn't just happen when the opponent hits the top blast zone.
In the coding it's a block since you don't take any damage (like a powershield) and attack. It doesn't have to occur at the blast line, the glitch can occur much much lower where it thinks it has hit the blast line already because of the way Roy's counter alters the incoming attack's knockback velocity. The lower reflection also occurs when it combines with another attack's trajectory. It's very strange and hard to explain, and it's not always the same in how it reacts which is why it's not a strategy or useful tech.

Last edited:

djmath

Smash Apprentice
invisible ceiling glitch occurs if your opponent is moving/holding a direction when hit with counter and not yet out of stun. It's complicated, but that's the shortest simplest explanation afaik.

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
invisible ceiling glitch occurs if your opponent is moving/holding a direction when hit with counter and not yet out of stun. It's complicated, but that's the shortest simplest explanation afaik.
that honestly makes more sense

Vesne

Smash Cadet
This is super late but the correct answer can be seen here. It happens if you have used your shield at all on that stock before the counter and you use your counter against one of your opponents grounded non-projectile attacks.

This is not related to the fire effect it applies, blastzone locations, or moving during hitstun/hitlag.

Top Bottom