• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why does no one use invincible ledgedash grab?

Crossie

Smash Apprentice
Pretty much just the title. I don't have 20XX right now, so I can't really experiment with this, so maybe it's way harder than I think or something. Or maybe it's just that invincible fair is much easier and also good. Regardless, I'd like to know whether there's a reason I shouldn't practice it once I get 20XX. As far as I can tell there should be a 2 frame window for this, which is hard, but not undoable, and there's so much to be gained.

Sarej

Smash Cadet
Pretty certain Puff can't do it fast enough, I can do it on Fox to moderate success but Puff just can't do it fast enough or maybe I'm just bad.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Yea Puff has +/- 2 frames after a LD grab. 9 frames total after 10 frames of WD lag. so 7 frame grab is doable while invinc.

Thing is that it's pretty much her only good ground option from the ledge and her WD is puny, so it can be predictable and laggy. It's usually just way better to take advantage of her disgusting disjoint on Fair or Bair. But.....a back throws can lead to a stock by the ledge I've seen a few Puff use LD grab, but not many. Develop it yourself and let us know.

Last edited:

Massive

Smash Champion
It's pretty easy to punish ledgedash grab with wavedash back > attack because puff's wavedash speed isn't that high.

Generally speaking, you are better served tossing out an aerial and regrabbing the ledge or just getting on the stage with bair/fair and continuing from there. Also, once you know that you can autocancel most aerials from the ledge pretty reliably with very minimal effort, it becomes very hard to justify the risk of invincible ledgedash grab.

Finally, Puff's timing is actually pretty strict for invincible ledgedash. It's easy to flub it and airdodge to your death under pressure, and puff is not a character that plays well from a stock deficit.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
You can rest someone dropping from the inside edge of the lower platforms on YS if you're frame perfect. I think you guys are underestimating this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Flj_QcVeQM
I think you are forgetting that after you rest there are 250 frames where you are sitting there waiting to get destroyed. Also how small the hitbox is and how hard it would be to land in that situation on an actual good player. Raw rests (invincibile or not) are not something that smart Puff players do often especially in such a predictable way.

Puffs aerials from the ledge are still the best options IMO, in fact they are better than most characters invincible LD options because of how generous the hitboxes are and how Puff can just fly in and out not just sitting there on the ground in lag.

Top Bottom