• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why does my l cancel suck

brwnhawaiin

Smash Cadet
ive been trainin with sheik for the past few days, and i can never seem to do an l cancel without my shield alwasy popping up. am i pressing it to early, pressing the l button too hard? ive also noticed, then when i dont L cancel, and i just make sure to keep holding left or right on the d pad when im landing after an aerial move, there isnt much lag at all, would this be a good technique to use?

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Shiek has very little landing lag on most of her aerials, which means you need to really hit L/R or Z pretty fast to L-cancel them. Sheik can miss L-cancels in matches and still be competitive for this reason. So just hit L/R or Z faster to L-cancel better with Sheik. With L or R you don't need to press the button all the way down, halfway is good enough. The reason why holding left or right from an aerial works when you miss a L-cancel is because it makes you leave your landing animation faster. But if you have done a shff without L-canceling I don't think this shortens the time at all, just looks like it does (especially with Sheik).

alcheato

Smash Ace
why does my l cancel suck
Because you touch yourself at night.
If you're shield's popping up, you're doing it too late or holding L too long. As for holding left/right, don't do it as a lag-shortening technique.

Mcscruff

Smash Ace
You have to press and release L faster. It doesn't even matter if you miss L-cancels with sheik. With sheik, you won't get punished too much for that.

brwnhawaiin

Smash Cadet
ah, its so frusterating, im tappin L pretty fast, and my shield pops up still, oh well, ill just have to practice more. thanks for the help though.

pdk

Smash Lord
you can just use the z button instead for LCing

jaywinner

Smash Cadet
but if you use Z, instead of the shield poping up, wont you end up grabbing thin air?

quak

Smash Champion
another probable cause is that you don't need to l-cancel, cause you attack lag has already ended, and therefore there is no lag to cut down on, so you just bring out ur sheild instead

cradmazy_SKAG

Smash Ace
secrets to L cancelling good=

press the L trigger down as SLIGHTLY as possible.

you have 20 frames (1/3 sec) BEFORE you land to L cancel. press early.

this helped me alot. hope it helps u.

pdk

Smash Lord
but if you use Z, instead of the shield poping up, wont you end up grabbing thin air?
no, you'll just get a lightshield the same way you do when you hold Z midway through an attack

and Z should be easier for this guy since the finger travel for it is a lot shorter than with L/R

Melo-tone

Smash Cadet
no, you'll just get a lightshield the same way you do when you hold Z midway through an attack

and Z should be easier for this guy since the finger travel for it is a lot shorter than with L/R
I agree. Z also seems to have less push length. So just tap the Z right before you land, and if you get the light shield just roll/wavedash out into an attack. Sheik has a decent wavedash so even getting the shield isn't too much of a problem.

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
ive been trainin with sheik for the past few days, and i can never seem to do an l cancel without my shield alwasy popping up. am i pressing it to early, pressing the l button too hard? ive also noticed, then when i dont L cancel, and i just make sure to keep holding left or right on the d pad when im landing after an aerial move, there isnt much lag at all, would this be a good technique to use?
Practice l-canceling more.

The_Famous_SK

Smash Apprentice
OK on a similiar note I have problems short-hopping. With sheik. I can make it work when im just ******* around but whenever I'm really fighting someone, I can't make the hops short enough to blast'em with a SHFFL fair punch. Any tips?

pdk

Smash Lord
you must instill in your mind that Ls are your mortal enemy, then you'll be able to cancel them and laugh as you dance on their cancelled corpses

Giggidax

Smash Ace
lawl at pdk etc.

the reason why ur L-cancelling sux is because shieks aerial lag is small so u have to press L really fast and let go of it really fast. it takes practice to time it right but once u get it down then yea u have it. yea there u go

if that doesnt work i suggest selling ur soul to evil demons in exchange for perfect L-cancelling

Giggidax

Smash Ace
if it decreases ur lag and speedsup ur gameplay even by just a little bit why not use it? L-cancelling cant hurt, to tell the truth, L-cancelling should be a part of everyones game

the_air_up_there7

Smash Ace
Laredo Texas (training mode), offseason :)
Because you touch yourself at night.
If you're shield's popping up, you're doing it too late or holding L too long. As for holding left/right, don't do it as a lag-shortening technique.
Jeje you got that from family guy!!! Anyway L-cancel shouldn't be that hard, if the shield keeps on poppin out its because you are too slow......so deal with it. You will get it! :chuckle: Just keep practicing it.

Mosk

Smash Cadet
Here's what I did(even though I main Marth):

First started practicing L-Cancelling with Link (especially with his plunger attack)
Then Young Link, Y.Link has this bouncing rythm that's fun to get familiar with so from here on L-Cancelling and my gameplay began to instill.

Really does help 'cause even though I stopped L-Cancelling nearly altogether to get back to the basics such as spacing, shielding, evasion, extreme exploitation of priorities, and mindgames on Lightning Mode for a few months, just yesterday I returned to regular melee and those L-Cancels are coming through without me making a note to do so.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Here's what I did(even though I main Marth):

First started practicing L-Cancelling with Link (especially with his plunger attack)
Then Young Link, Y.Link has this bouncing rythm that's fun to get familiar with so from here on L-Cancelling and my gameplay began to instill.

Really does help 'cause even though I stopped L-Cancelling nearly altogether to get back to the basics such as spacing, shielding, evasion, extreme exploitation of priorities, and mindgames on Lightning Mode for a few months, just yesterday I returned to regular melee and those L-Cancels are coming through without me making a note to do so.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Just press it in the 1/3 of a second before you hit the ground just tap it down really fast and then release... a common misconception is to hold it... Don't you'll shield and that eliminates the point of doing so.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
OK on a similiar note I have problems short-hopping. With sheik. I can make it work when im just ******* around but whenever I'm really fighting someone, I can't make the hops short enough to blast'em with a SHFFL fair punch. Any tips?
...Well what I did was grow out my right thumbnail so I would have more to flick it with. Now I can short hop anytime I want.

pdk

Smash Lord
tap the edge of the button, not the center

and sheik's shorthop sucks anyway

Retroking2000

Smash Master
a good way to practice the L-cancel timing is to do short hop aerials without fast falling, I improved crazy fast after practicing this way.

I agree wuth alcoady on this one

Top Bottom