• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why does ledge grapple randomly fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retlaf

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys,

A quick question for any seasoned toon link vets: Why does the ledge grapple, when used within all (seemingly) correct parameters, sometimes just shoot the zair attack and not actually grapple the ledge? The lag on zair is so long that this random accident usually results in toon link falling to his death unless he has a second jump or there's a wall to wall jump off of.

It happens randomly when in the air, facing the ledge, at a good height (level with the stage or maybe a little higher), a good distance away (somewhere in the middle between the minimum and maximum grapple ranges), not out of an airdodge or attack (but I've tested these conditions and they *do* grapple properly). I can't consistently reproduce it. Happens probably 1/10 times. I basically don't ever ledge grapple during tournament matches because of the chance that it fails. I have seen this happen in streams (I'll try to find the videos).

BUT, if someone knows something that I don't which can explain exactly when zair trumps grapple, that would be awesome! Or at the very least, does anyone else experience this?

CoolPalMitch

Smash Cadet
NNID
mitchgamelover
are you dropping off the ledge when you try to grapple like this? If so it's because the new ledge cooldown mechanic also applies to ledge grapples, so you can't ledge drop and then immediately try to grapple. If that's not the case, I don't know what to tell you. I tested this out myself and it only failed when I tried to grapple directly after a ledge drop

Cyre

Smash Apprentice
This question did not deserve its own thread. You realize that we have a Q and A thread stapled at the top.

Anywho, I've experienced your problem and I'm not quite sure how to explain it myself. You should simply just use it only when recovering. I believe @ Fox Is Openly Deceptive Fox Is Openly Deceptive wrote something on this.

I'll look around and if I find it, I'll definitely post it here.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Clearly you know how to read, since you were able to post this thread. It's common sense that, if you have a question, you should use your ability to read to check around a board to see if it's been answered already. It's obvious this question should've gone in the Q&A thread, so the fact that you made a new thread for this instead of posting it there shows by itself that not only did you not do anything to attempt to answer your own question, but you were too lazy to take less than two seconds to read the titles of the stickied threads. If you take the time to read around and try to answer your own question first, then people will be more likely to try to help you. That said, Cyrene is right; Fox is Openly Deceptive has already written a thing answering this question. Iirc, he posted a link to it in the stickied thread about TL's ATs. You should read that thread anyway especially since it has tons of useful information, so you should find it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom