• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why does Her shield do that?

Castle Maker

Smash Cadet
NNID
Castle Maker
3DS FC
0130-2851-8580
So as many of you probobly know...When jiggylies shield breaks she goes flying in the air ko'ing her self. And she is the only character to do this...Why?

The Puffer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4485-1171-5786
I think it was due an error in Smash 64 caused by her lightness and Nintendo decided to keep it in 'cause why not?

That doesn´t stop her tho

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
In the first game she was the unorthodox joke-type character in addition to being a balloon Pokemon, so an instant KO for shield break makes sense because it's A) a silly mechanic that contributes more to her joke-ness, and B) it's symbolic of popping a balloon.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I'm convinced she was a joke character in Smash 64. Rest is a ridiculous move, and the instant death shield break is very silly. You know how Sakurai can be, for some reason he doesnt change anything about the character. It's the same reason Marth still speaks Japanese and Ganondorf is still a weird pseudo clone of Captain Falcon. Stubbornness? Tradition? Laziness? Who can really say.

Last edited:

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
Fun Fact: if you break Jigglypuff's shield in Target Blast, it doesn't KO her, but she takes about 2 minutes to land before the stun begins

Castle Maker

Smash Cadet
NNID
Castle Maker
3DS FC
0130-2851-8580
In the first game she was the unorthodox joke-type character in addition to being a balloon Pokemon, so an instant KO for shield break makes sense because it's A) a silly mechanic that contributes more to her joke-ness, and B) it's symbolic of popping a balloon.
That makes a lot of sense!

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Jigglypuff's shield is quite large despite her very small size. Because of this, Sakurai didn't want them to ''abuse'' their great shield and gave birth to that shield KO.

It fits in quite well, because it's basically like popping a balloon.

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130
It doesn't really matter that much. I mean, we can't survive a fully charged smash attack at high percentages, so we'd be dead anyway with our shield broken like at 30% (against heavies and strong chars like Marth/Mac) and 50%(against others)

Last edited:

Castle Maker

Smash Cadet
NNID
Castle Maker
3DS FC
0130-2851-8580
It doesn't really matter that much. I mean, we can't survive a fully charged smash attack at high percentages, so we'd be dead anyway with our shield broken like at 30% (against heavies and strong chars like Marth/Mac) and 50%(against others)
That is true lol

GeeHaus

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't have it any other way.

Is it a downside? Yeah, I guess. But a shield break means certain death for most characters at mid+ % anyways.

Plus, it's hilarious. If they break my shield, I can't even be salty about it. I just chuckle and get back into the fight.

Top Bottom