• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you think Project M gets a bad rap?

interpunct

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EliteInterpunct
3DS FC
3110-5751-3360
i have met maybe a handful of well to do smashers since i started. but i would say the vast majority are not. m2k for example definitely doesnt have a wealthy family, quite the opposite.
I don't think it's correct to assume that most people don't come from affluent families either.

Right now I work, study and I have to pay my own college out of my pocket without student loans with just help of the usual federal student grant everyone gets, FAFSA. And I'm just 20 years old.

And there's a ton of other people I know that I play smash with that suffer from the same problem. All the top players in my region (well, most of them) do indeed come from families in a much better economic status than me. For people like me taking more than 40-50$ between public transportation and sometimes gas, food, tournament entry fees and stuff to go play in tournaments is just too much. When almost a whole day out of my pay check is gone when I could use it on buying food for me to eat while I study or to pay my next trimester, you start to see just how difficult it really is to go to more tournaments and give PM more exposure although I'd love to do so.

To put it in perspective as of right now in the smash crew I'm in there's around 10 people that we play together all the time and out of those 10 people only 2 go to tournaments consistently. I've gone only once and another guy from this group I'm talking about has gone only once as well.

Thing is, I know we have the skill to go pretty far in brackets, I've beaten some good guys that place pretty high from other universities at local tournaments but it's just hard to economically sustain myself with these high costs of tournaments for people that don't have the money to do it. Because remember that it's not only the entry fee, but everything else like the examples I gave as well.

Last edited:

DualX

Smash Apprentice
Because it's a mod, which people don't want to accept because of this idea that only "real" Smash games should be in tournaments.

Which is ironic, since games like Counter-Strike, Quake and DoTA were mods, and they were all lovingly accepted competetively.
Exactly. It's a shame that Nintendo isn't more of the embracing type. Then again, this is the same company that doesn't think that multiplayer gaming isn't the future either.

hi im dennis

Smash Apprentice
Project M has everything melee has but is better in every aspect and has tons more stuff. More techs, better graphics, more characters, more stages, for the most part balanced characters so everyone is viable and not ruled by 4 or 5 characters. It's also much easier to get your hands on considering you can even play it on the wii u. Brawl is super cheap compared to melee. Also the mod is free and gets balance updates just like smash 4.

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
I could bring up reasons that I can explain (but not prove to be true), but instead I'll tell you to keep playing the game instead, if you like playing it, which is probably better then reading poorly thought out arguments on the internet.

But if we want to help PM grow, getting PAL PM released might be the sweetspot between effectiveness and being doable. Yes, people can hack their Wii and use various methods to play PM on a PAL Wii, but this eases access to PM and promotes the use of a legal Brawl copy.

Just my two cents.

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
The Nerfs.

Everytime you pick up a main and start really liking that character, something changes and makes your work go down the drain.

Source: I main pit and bowser

D

Deleted member

I don't think it gets a bad rap persay, I think it's merely that most people have moved on from the game and would rather stick with official supported versions and not having to mod just to play. The community for Project M dwindling are these reasons.

To keep it simple:

1. Smash 4 came out and is the newest game.
2. Most people would rather play Melee.
3. As much of non hassle it is, it still is more hassle to play than the official games.
4. The drastic character changes (Din's Fire for example) happening over the versions.
5. Brawl wasn't as widely accepted as Melee is, so being the game is still using Brawl the popularity feigned when Smash 4 came out similar to how Brawl's popularity feigned out. Most of the people playing for novelty switched over.

ilysm

sleepy
I don't think it's only because it's a mod. A lot of people hate on PM because of 'jank', i.e mechanics or characters they aren't familiar with and think are excessive or anti-meta. Think Din's Fire, or Offense Up, or Banana Peels, or Fire/Ice Beam, or basically Snake or Lucario as a character. But what I think a lot of people fail to realize is that Melee has got a lot of jank of its own (and so does Brawl to some extent). Take Ice Climbers, for one example. There's two of them. Desyncs are Melee jank, right there. Plenty weirdness abounds from Smash 64 to Melee. Peach can float? One character that can transform into another, and back again, mid-match? Also, wavedashing as a mechanic? I can't think of a more jarring transition from Smash 64 than that. Melee's been around for a while. We all got used to it. But when Melee or Brawl players see something that doesn't immediately register with their knowledge of fundamentals, they chalk it up to 'PM jank' helping players win/causing characters to lose. I think that Project M is this wild, crazy, weird experiment, and it's going to take so long to explore all of its 'jank' fully, but I think it's a big part of what makes the game so spontaneous and fun. Melee jank is mostly figured out. We just need some more time with the PM stuff.

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436
l fail to see why any sensible person would say PM's just jank or anything like that. To compete means to test your knowledge and skill against other competitors. If you can't handle the fact that you weren't aware of something or that you don't know how to beat something, you aren't a true competitor and you'll never improve. I say this goes for all of the versions as well. Think about how everybody was so used to Melee and Brawl suddenly changed everything. Do you think those players who transitioned from Melee to Brawl ever whined? ......

Yeah, they probably did. BUT what matters is that they tried to conform to this slower, neutral based Smash. Sure, taste has plenty to do with this, but calling Offense Up or Solarbeam jank shows only your refusal to adapt. In all Smash games, adaptation is EVERYTHING. Isn't it?

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
In my experience, it's a combination of things mentioned prviously. I know someone who used to be an avid PM player, but then began to hate the broken things in 3.02 like my Lucas -- it kind of spiraled downward from there. Since then, it's "3.02 is bad design", then when the PMDT actually fix the broken things that were complained about, it was "PM is designed by frauds and bad game designers and it's bad" with little evidence to support it besides the fact that I know some of Lucas' combos and they don't know how to get out of them with their changed character.

It's weird though because they complain about dumb things in PM but are still fine with Melee? And also complain about low tier characters in Smash 4 because they don't understand therm. Granted, this person isn't bad by any means -- definitely better than me. I just think they let their knee-jerk reactions dictate their overarching opinions on PM too much.

Some people just can't be pleased. Personally, I think that the game's design direction is about as good as it's going to get (considering it allows/requires things like shine). PMDT just needs to work out the small kinks now.

Top Bottom