• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Why do you think Nintendo still hasn't officially anounced a smash wii u release date yet?

Kain6th

Smash Ace
So most people are sure 11-21 will be the release date.. but thats just 2 months away. Why won't nintendo just come out and announce this date?

The more time passes without an announcement of an official release date, the more i worry about it getting delayed.

What do you think is preventing nintendo from announcing it?

Nielicus

Smash Lord
I think they saw the backlash with brawl, and now they've decided to avoid our disappointment by not being too specific until they are truly sure they can get the game out in time. I like it better this way anyway.

JLU51306

Smash Apprentice
If we don't hear anything by the second week of Oct., I'm calling delay.

Girnee

Smash Cadet
My guess is they are waiting for the 3DS version to release in the US and for sales to wind down so they don't steal from that version's sales.

BlackDoomShadow

Smash Rookie
I think they saw the backlash with brawl, and now they've decided to avoid our disappointment by not being too specific until they are truly sure they can get the game out in time. I like it better this way anyway.
They've apparently told retailers this date, though, and retailers will be just as annoyed if they have to delay the game, change signage, inform employees and annoyed customers, etc. If Nintendo has a set date, they'll announce it. That's why I'm not convinced November 21 is the date.

If we don't hear anything by the second week of Oct., I'm calling delay.
I was thinking the same thing. Once the 3DS version has been out a week or so, there's no reason to keep the date a secret. If it's anytime in calendar year 2014, they need to announce the date soon.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
The 3ds version isn't out everywhere. They'll probably reveal the date a week or so after that.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
November 21 is really a perfect date to release the Wii U version, but I won't be mad if it's delayed or this rumor release date is actually the Japanese release date.

Last edited:

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
They're simply waiting for 3DS version to come out everywhere else and let it sell for a little while. Nothing else to it.

Khao

Smash Lord
They obviously don't want it to steal the 3DS's spotlight.

They'll start hyping it when the 3DS version's already out and everybody's got a copy.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
As others have said, can't eat into 3DS sales. After the first few days I bet they let it out, as if Fred Meyers and Nintendo France hadn't already leaked it.

21/11/2014

Ozyroth

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ozyroth
Probrably they want to get the 3DS version some spotlight on sept and mid october. Then I think will get a Nintendo Direct on mid october or in the beginning of november. In this Direct will get the release date for WiiU, the proper NA introduction on the New Nintendo 3DS and some bundles, games for the holidays. Sounds perfect for me.

OBI1JABLOMI

Smash Cadet
The release date will be 11/23...Nintendo wants people to get in line for the midnight launch on Saturday and play all day on Sunday

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
To delay the game and add Tripping. :troll:

But in all seriousness, it's probably so the 3DS version gets attention first.

Last edited:

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
They're trying to not cannibalize 3DS sales (that version itself had been delayed until later, so that's part of it) but you all have to realize that the retailers likely already know, and have to get inventory ready - and that Smash's big push is for christmas, so even if the launch date is a softer announcement, that won't really effect the bottom line as long as they get in with amiibo for Black Friday.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
The release date will be 11/23...Nintendo wants people to get in line for the midnight launch on Saturday and play all day on Sunday
This makes sense. Release ORAS on Friday, people will play the hell out of that for two days and then abandon it for Smash, lol

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I'm hoping it's simply not to steal the spotlight from the 3DS version. Remember, the 3DS version hasn't released worldwide yet, so there's that. I'm HOPING that Nintendo understands that delays into next year aren't an option at this point or they should pack it up this generation (MK8 and other releases have done a good job, but it's not enough). With their main home console in a pit trying to work its way out, they need those Christmas, or even better, Black Friday sales big time.

All that said, if there's nothing said by mid-October, I think we need to potentially put our Brawl caps on. Until then though, I'd say 21/11/2014 is looking to be the best thing we've got, and the date makes a lot of sense.

EDIT: Something to consider as well is that I read somewhere (needs confirmation) that Sakurai confirmed that like the 3DS version, the Wii U version will go out to the Japanese first... So if we don't hear something reasonably soon about the Japanese version, then that could be bad news as well, since they tend to release around a month apart.

Last edited:

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
The theory that they are waiting for the 3DS version to release so it "doesn't steal sales" doesn't make a lot of sense to me. We already know it is coming out Winter 2014. So giving us a specific date doesn't do anything to steal sales. If anything I think it would help the Wii U's sales if they gave us a release date before a bunch of us go to the stores to pick up the 3DS version, so we can pre-order and set up and make plans.

I'm guessing it is going to come out earlier than we expected or much, much later than anyone expected. There's something troublesome with the Wii U version I think.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
The theory that they are waiting for the 3DS version to release so it "doesn't steal sales" doesn't make a lot of sense to me. We already know it is coming out Winter 2014. So giving us a specific date doesn't do anything to steal sales. If anything I think it would help the Wii U's sales if they gave us a release date before a bunch of us go to the stores to pick up the 3DS version, so we can pre-order and set up and make plans.

I'm guessing it is going to come out earlier than we expected or much, much later than anyone expected. There's something troublesome with the Wii U version I think.
Nah, it's a sales cannibalization thing. People will just wait since Winter 2014 regardless of when is incredibly soon.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
Nah, it's a sales cannibalization thing. People will just wait since Winter 2014 regardless of when is incredibly soon.
My point is we know it will be Winter 2014 anyway. So assigning an exact date is not going to steal sales.

World

Smash Cadet
My point is we know it will be Winter 2014 anyway. So assigning an exact date is not going to steal sales.
^ THIS

People who are interested in Smash are already aware the Wii U version is Winter 2014 so there's two groups to think about:

- Those who are buying the 3DS version
- Those who are not buying the 3DS version and waiting to buy the Wii U version

Now how would confirming that the Wii U holiday release is indeed in the holiday period with a release date effect the first group?

If we had no knowledge of the release time for Smash Wii U, then it would make sense for Nintendo to withhold the date to help Smash 3DS's launch period. However we do know it's only months away. Everyone who's been keeping up to date with Smash knows it's moths away.

Now what about the more casual group who have no idea that Smash 3DS is coming out in the other regions?
Is Nintendo going to show "Wii U releasing November 23, 2014!" alongside every 3DS commercial?...

Of course not, so this news wouldn't effect them either.

So there's no reason to think that Nintendo is withholding the Wii U date just to assist sales of the 3DS version.

Last edited:
Top Bottom