• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you still play Project M?

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
The game is amazing.

It has my favorite mechanics and ats out of any Smash game. Link tech, tether mechanics, raring, the way pivoting is, and the melee mechanics that are in PM are great. A few mechanics are a pain but that kind of thing is in every Smash game.

PMDT nailed alot characters playstyle. Especially Mewtwo.

PM has incredible balance.

Overall, I just really love this game.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Fun.

But recently I've kinda lost interest. For some reason I think picking up Melee will make me better at PM, so I've been wanting to just start playing that until PM is finally done so I have time to become a better player.

Narpas_sword

Fun.

But recently I've kinda lost interest. For some reason I think picking up Melee will make me better at PM, so I've been wanting to just start playing that until PM is finally done so I have time to become a better player.
Playing PM will make you better at PM.
Playing Melee will make you better at melee.
Dropping PM to play melee to get better at PM will not help PM grow.
.:
Play PM.

The only thing melee will teach you is how to shorthop faster. and slam the sticks harder to move.
Fundamentals can be taught in either game.
Learning matchups for PM isnt going to happen in melee.

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
i play pm because ganon is super fun here and potentially the issues his archetype has historically in this series can be addressed.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
i am liking his "push you to the edge, then scare you". it just sucks when your safe pokes for doing so just lose to "i'm gonna sit out here and dash dance and oh you hit a button? sucks for you" : /

he's not unviable at all, but a lot of his strengths are spread to other archetypes (namely punishes out of conversions and the ability to wall : /) and his weaknesses are important weaknesses to not have in the meta.

Rᴏb

Playing PM will make you better at PM.
Playing Melee will make you better at melee.
.:
Play PM.

The only thing melee will teach you is how to shorthop faster. and slam the sticks harder to move.
Fundamentals can be taught in either game.
Learning matchups for PM isnt going to happen in melee.
Right, I understand where you're coming from but I think it's a lot more complicated than you're making it out to be.

Rᴏb

Possibly. But without you providing any reasoning, there's nothing for me to refine towards
Well, I think playing with people that are better than you is a great way to become better yourself. I'd say I'm much more likely to encounter good players in melee than PM because 1) melee is more popular at the moment and 2) modern melee players are forced to adapt to a much more developed metagame, one that I think would improve my fundamentals, tech-skill, etc. for both games moreso than adapting to the current PM metagame would. Conditioning myself to play a harder, but similar game is bound to improve my skills in the easier game, no?

I specifically want to work on my neutral game, and due to how many characters there are in PM I feel like I'm far less likely to come across characters who's kits will challenge my game the most in that aspect.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
For some reason I think picking up Melee will make me better at PM
You're in NY. Ask @EmuKiller how well that idea worked out for him.

Answer: not as well as you, or he, might hope.

It's not a matter of which game you're playing or even who you're playing it with. It's how you play that game, what you're thinking about, and how you structure your efforts to improve your play.

I don't play as much as I'd like, go to tournaments even less, and I could spend a lot more of my game time on me if I really wanted to. I don't play Melee at all. I'm still getting results for my effort.

Last edited:

Rᴏb

It's not a matter of which game you're playing or even who you're playing it with. It's how you play that game, what you're thinking about, and how you structure your efforts to improve your play.

I don't play as much as I'd like, go to tournaments even less, and I could spend a lot more of my game time on me if I really wanted to. I don't play Melee at all. I'm still getting results for my effort.
I disagree with the bolded. I'd say your opponents greatly shape how you play the game, what you think about and how you try to improve your gameplay. Either way it surely depends on the player, so I can at least that this is the case for me.

Based on what I struggle with as a player, how dead PM is in my scene, and how flourishing/more challenging melee is by contrast, I still believe I would benefit more from picking up melee than purely sticking with PM. I don't understand why this is such a taboo here. I never implied that only playing PM was somehow a less efficient way to improve people's play, I'm merely talking about myself and my situation, which I can't expect everyone to be aware of, but to act as if what I've been saying is out of the realm of possibility is shortsighted. I'm gonna go ahead and end this discussion here since it's beginning to stray from the original topic.

joshin9009

Smash Cadet
I still play it because its fun but I did stop playing it for a while to play melee which I feel like Tech Skill in PM is easier than in melee also in PM theres online which is super cool and fun if you cant play PM on netplay

LIVERPOOP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MartinSkrtel37
3DS FC
0130-1906-5039
because it's SO ****ING GOOD. great cast of characters and feels like it plays the best.

i feel weird playing melee on a LCD (i'm the only one of my friends who has CRTs) but less so playing PM on LCD's because my wii has component cables and i feel there isn't as much lag as when we play melee via wii and component cables. melee just looks wrong on LCDs whereas PM looks good and feels fine.

JehJehKeyblade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JehJehKeyblade2
It's very fun and the most competitively viable Smash game in my opinion. No characters left behind and very fair stages all around.

I also have a lot of fun playing with my brother and my cousins when they come over.

Also the music modding.

Last edited:

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
Because I do not like mobas (I hate how so many of my freinds perfer this over other games), next because this game is one of the only competitive experiences I enjoy and can enjoy with friends. I also do not like to many aspects of smash 4 to care about every playing it at a high level like melee or pm. Heck slowly I'm preferring it over melee and hope it will one day become the main smash game in the community over melee and smash 4.

If the feel of the game becomes more fluid to me as melee I would completely jump ship to pm. I'm not exactly playing this to become the best smasher or to play what most people are so I don't care if the community for pm is smaller than the official smash games so the only thing that is relevant to me is how satisfying the gameplay is.

Its like how Isai does not stop playing smash 64 just because its no where near as relevant as even pm anymore. He likes it the most so hes gonna keep playing it till there is no one to play the game with. I'm doing the same thing, I'll keep playing this till there is not a single person I can enjoy it with, or if something better replaces it for me (Won't happen unless its Project M becoming its own standalone game).

Last edited:

Jamble

Smash Apprentice
I tried Project M because after playing Smash 4 for awhile, my brother-in-law went on a big melee kick and I happened to get a chance to play against him, and all the memories of the fast-paced madness of Melee came rushing back. Matches were a lot quicker and more interesting, and I loved it, but I also don't actually own a copy of melee anymore (the one I had somehow got lost between a few times moving). I heard about PM and expected kind of a Melee wannabe game (and believe me, I was perfectly okay with that) and wanted to try it. I was pleasantly surprised that I was wrong.

One of the big things that keeps me glued to PM is the character design. Good god, I cannot decide on a main completely for the life of me, because every character I pick up and try I end up loving the crap out of. That's not a feeling I really got in other smash games ever, and it says a lot about the attention to detail. This is both with the game mechanics, and little things like the costumes feeling to pay respect to each character's roots/origin, and their overall "feel".

Charizard's redesign is spectacular, for instance. Over his brawl and smash 4 incarnation, he feels like a beast. Everything about him, his bite tilts, his brutal aerial attacks, fast run (fly) speed just screams "Dragon." And that's how it should be.

Samus switching between ice weapons and plasma is another great touch, she also has a costume for almost every variation of the power or Varia suit, including my personal favorite Fusion armor. Not only that, but the switch between the ice and plasma forms both feels true to Samus's character from a "flavor" standpoint and on her overall gameplay style.

Roy got a bit of an overhaul that really did him justice too. What everybody seemed to love about him was the flaming sword. Quite frankly, it's a persistent fictional cliche because it's friggin awesome. He got more attacks that invoke that flame. His nair was overhauled to be a spinning flame attack, his blazer is now downright brutal and not only cool to use, but more aimable and incredibly useful overall. He got a great ftilt that is his Rapier jab animation from his respective game (a really nice nod if you ask me). Not only are the tools he got useful, but again, they pay respect to his very origin. I don't know how everything translates competitively here, but he just feels great.

I could go on forever character to character about this, it pretty much applies to almost the whole cast (at least the whole cast that I've played so far). The same thing I love is the same thing that's plaguing me to no end right now. I can't pick a damn main to save my life, because I adore each and every character I've played. You can tell that the PM crew has put a lot of love into almost every character, it reflects in both the game's balance, and how each character really builds on the identity they've had since their debut artfully. I know this is a long, drawn out rave, but incredibly thoughtful character design is ultimately what sets PM apart as (in my opinion) the best Smash by a long shot.

The only character I've played that I felt really let down by is Bowser. I feel like he's the only one that has had difficulty from a design standpoint building off of his identity in a way that feels natural and true to his character. But a big heavy like him is a really hard problem to solve in a game like this, and I have faith.

Last edited:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
because melee sucks

because fighting games are fun

because balanced rosters are far more interesting than not

because the base idea behind melee of an incredibly dynamic movement-based platform fighting game is incredible and pm is the best rendition on it to date

and because luigi wavedrops

Bleck

Smash Master
User was warned for this post
every time somebody says the word movement in this context I throw up a little

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Quick Draw -> Reverse jump cancel -> Backflip -> Back-air

Nothing I've ever done in a video game has ever had more style, and I've leaped off a Mongoose driven by my best friend into the core of a Scarab.

Good enough for me.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
User was warned for this post
The game is fun and just about every character is great. Why OP insists on making himself look STUPID by asking this kind of question blows my mind.

Why do you play the games you play? Duh, man.

Jamble

Smash Apprentice
He's just asking why, he's not dissing PM at all. I don't think that warrants throwing insults.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
The game is fun and just about every character is great. Why OP insists on making himself look STUPID by asking this kind of question blows my mind.

Why do you play the games you play? Duh, man.
The only one who's making himself look stupid is you. Take a chill pill.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I honestly don't know myself.

I'm not a huge fan of PM itself and don't like a lot of thing it changed, but I still have fun with it. I still play when it when people got it but I don't have a clear answer for the why.

I still have fun with it in the end, so I guess that is all that matter for this.

I prefer other smash games over it, but still I can't deny I still play it when people got it. That's better than smash 64, where I kind of avoid it at times.

Last edited:

Sirkura

Smash Cadet
honestly i've grown bored of PM, i've decrypted most the major codes i liked and just spliced them into my own mods, the fact that PM is so closed source and difficult to add anything to without the GCT codes makes it grow stagnant fast. i get bored after a few rounds with nothing new to do and just go play some other mod instead where i can expand more upon it. the only thing that kept me coming back was the special modes, which i can now add to any mod i want. (all but 0 mode xD but that's meh for me) when it becomes more readily modable i might come back. or if it gets a newer release i might pick more stuff i like from it. but until then i'll stick with smash 4 or my own mod.

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
I agree with you about the PMDT being closed source, Sirkura Sirkura . It would be great if they had there codeset documented with the official PM download. Like have a txt file telling you what all the codes do.

masterpad

Smash Journeyman
Good god, I cannot decide on a main completely for the life of me, because every character I pick up and try I end up loving the crap out of.
you mirroring my heart

because the base idea behind melee of an incredibly dynamic movement-based platform fighting game is incredible and pm is the best rendition on it to date
I completly agree and sakurai should understand that at the begining in StreetFighter the 2-hits-combo (standing heavy punch+shoryuken) wasn't meant to happen, it comes from players discovery and the dev made it a standart in all street fighters and it tranforms the fighting game history.
Sakurai should accept all the Smash legacy and propose a "melee gameplay mode" in Smash4 and contact the PMDT to devellop it as a huge DLC fo smash4

Last edited:

Phendrana Drifts

Smash Journeyman
Because smash 4 doesnt have wasedash or lcanceling. If smash 4 had them and wasnt slowed down for the next generation of fat american children, we'd all play smash 4 and this thread prob wouldnt have even been made. But it doesnt, therefore everyone still loves PM, waiting for 3.7 or whatnot. Learning wavedash and lcanceling is akin to going super saiyan/super saiyan 2. Why would we throw away all that awesome learned skill to play with some children like sakurai intended. His target audience isnt the competitive gamers who built up his legacy, its the parents of children who have $$$ for his DLC cash cow.

Melee-Goku
PM- Vegeta
Brawl- Mr. Satan.
Smash WiiU- Yamcha

A lvl 9 Project M bot could win a smash 4 tournament.

Last edited:

Phendrana Drifts

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai should just hire pmdt but he wont. He sees them as the enemy instead of his greatest asset.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

it certainly won't help the game grow, but it may make you a better player in specific situations. something a lot of top level players do is grind out punishments vs lv 1 computers of different combo weights to improve fluidity for following DI and making punishments more effective overall. in my experience, mid level players tend to underrate the value of punish game and overrate the value of neutral games, even though there is rarely a significant difference between top and mid level players in terms of neutral play. if you don't have access to live, similarly skilled opponents as a way to improve, that pretty much means you are defaulted to grinding out combos vs the CPU. even armada still does this at most tournaments, he'll beat up a lv 1 fox on battlefield. if you play PM, the cheaty face DI of the CPUs pretty much makes this not possible. when people ask me for how to practice PM marth, i tell them to grind out combos with him in melee. for a linear character like marth where you really only have one game plan, it is better to become masterful at it contextually and to switch back to PM and adapt to the engine and MU discrepancies than it is to never learn it to begin with. if you don't understand how to use your character's tools, you won't be winning anyway. if you play something like lucario, you're pretty much stuck.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I was watching azpm's stream and started **** talking the players.
Zman called me out on it and brought me to the weeklies.
So I started playing.
Now I can't quit until I'm best in state, or else I'm a buster.
I'm not a buster.
So I play.

Chawinyaw

Smash Cadet
Because Project M in my eyes is the best Smash game. It has general character balance, especially in 3.6, has stages for those who enjoy competitive and casual play, better item balance, the content of Brawl with the style of Melee, custom content (however, I just stick with BRSTMS, since most custom content outside of PM is usually garbage) new game modes that smash should have in the first place. Yeah, it's more catered towards competitive, but you can easily play the game casually. Really the only thing that could make the game the literal best is have more characters/stages (which we're getting, lets face it, just gotta be patient) and online play, but sadly you can only do with netplay.

Top Bottom