• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you play Smash?

Sazen

Smash Rookie
I don't play brawl, so this might not apply.
Sure it applies, I'm just using Brawl as an example since I play it mostly. Played 64 and Melee before them, so it all applies, since they generally have the same roots. In the end, the Smash community is all a big family - with some internal issues that is (Cough, Melee vs Brawl discussions, cough), but what big family doesn't have some issues?

So even if it isn't Brawl it applies for sure. Since the question is "Why do you play Smash?", just in general. :)

D

Deleted member

Ive been playing since n64 and i love all of the smash games. I play them because they are unlike any other fighting game out there. I love the community, the charcters, and the good times that come with playing the game with friends.

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
Well I play smash because I love the look on my friends face's after they are completely and utterly destroyed by the awesomeness that is captain falcon. That face of sheer disappointment and profound sadness is what keeps me alive, it also keeps the blood in my maniacal veins flowing. Knowing that a falcon punch just decimated the few shards of innocence and kindness within someone, always puts a smile on my face :smirk:. And that is the sole reason that I play smash bros. *insert's crazy evil laugh*

shadowx82

Smash Rookie
I feel like it satisfies my need for competitive gaming offline. I feel like most games that aren't nintendo or COD don't really give that experience.
I started it right after melee and i can still remember clearing event matches and all star on melee in wait for brawl.
Plus if I played melee right now, I would probably "get rekt" so to speak.
after spending a childhood and teen years on it, smash never gets stale.

Dr. Krumm

Smash Apprentice
Because it's the best game-series ever made (in my opinion).

I have played a lot of games, by thousands of different companies and I must say that I've had the most fun with Smash. I've always played a lot of different games at the same time, playing League of Legends and Smash, playing World of Warcraft, League of Legends and Smash, etc. But while I've constantly taken breaks from games such as World of Warcraft (which I've given up completely) and League of Legends, Smash is the game I have always been playing. I've never taken a break form this game. Never. It wouldn't surprise me if I'm still loving this game when I'm 80 years old.

This game is simply so amazing, no matter which one you mean, 64, melee, PM, Brawl. I don't care, they're all amazing. Unique, fast paced, fun to watch, fun to play, just absolutely fantastic games in general.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Way back in the day, when I was a kid, we used to visit my grandparents for the summer.

My cousins would do the same, and they would bring their N64 and a few games. Star Fox 64, Jet Force Gemini.. and Super Smash Bros.

I'd played SSB at a friend's house, but I only really got into it that summer.

I was unfamiliar with most of the characters, but I knew a few, like Mario and Kirby.

So we developed a schedule, get up, play Smash, eat breakfast, play outside, eat lunch, play Smash, go outside, come inside, do whatever, then eat dinner, play Smash or Star Fox, then go to bed, repeat.

It still brings a smile to my face... running up the stairs, talking on how the Homerun Bat was "cheap", and then learning how to use Smash attacks...

We had a lot of fun. As the years went by, that summer, that powerful nostalgia is what drove me to Nintendo... and then eventually to critical art.

So to answer your question, Why do I play Smash? Because of that one summer. Nostalgia..

Memories and Nintendo.

Thor

Smash Champion
Because it's fun.

And while I'm not trying to be rude, why the **** would you play a video game if you didn't enjoy it? Like, you wouldn't want to play baseball if you hated it, same applies to Smash.

Since I enjoy it and know people better than me, I also play to get better and want to win tournaments and whatnot (as do many players of the game).

Everyone's answer will just boil down to: A) It's fun (For X reason: Nintendo characters, unique, with friends, items and no items) and for many B) It's competitive for them and they enjoy the competition. My individual reason though [which I'm sure is what the OP was looking for, not the generalities they already know]: I don't really have friends and I can meet people at Smashfests and tournaments. Pretty lame, but it's my main way of meeting people I'm not forced to be around in school (most of whom think I'm just weird).

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Been playing since I was a kid on N64. I used to play it all the time but not so much these days. However, when I'm bored with nothing to do I can always count on picking up any of my old smash bros games to entertain myself.

Fluid_Drip

Smash Cadet
I've always loved smash since I played on n64 at a young age, I didnt get any good at it until about 2 years ago, ive dabbled in melee but I dont know enough to move like the pros do then a year ago I moved down south and I made close friends with a tight knit smash group we majored in brawl but a few of us didnt care which we played but seeing how good they were and how badly theyd beat me motivated me to become better, I played more every chance I got, I learned tech moves, changed my controls and im better at brawl now than ive ever been but I want to be better, NEED to be better I wouldn't last one round in a official tourney and I know it sounds dumb with smash 4 coming up so quickly but I never had a group of friends that I could play games with like that and it really made an impression on me as well as the smash documentary. My hope is to find new friends here with smash skills better than my own and become even better.

902f977cd0c8f77e4e8e5889417d9d62.jpg

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
I've always loved smash since I played on n64 at a young age, I didnt get any good at it until about 2 years ago, ive dabbled in melee but I dont know enough to move like the pros do then a year ago I moved down south and I made close friends with a tight knit smash group we majored in brawl but a few of us didnt care which we played but seeing how good they were and how badly theyd beat me motivated me to become better, I played more every chance I got, I learned tech moves, changed my controls and im better at brawl now than ive ever been but I want to be better, NEED to be better I wouldn't last one round in a official tourney and I know it sounds dumb with smash 4 coming up so quickly but I never had a group of friends that I could play games with like that and it really made an impression on me as well as the smash documentary. My hope is to find new friends here with smash skills better than my own and become even better.

View attachment 9773
That's an awesome pic!

Last edited:
Top Bottom