• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do YOU play as Jigglypuff?

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130
Jigglypuff is a character that is clearly bad in this game. She doesn't have many tools to fight shields and backward rolls. She struggles to get in in many matchups. She's light and requires perfect spacing. Sometimes, it feels unfair to lose while playing better.
So what's the point of playing as Jigglypuff? Why do YOU play as Jigglypuff? Why not play a better character with a similar playstyle?
I just want to know what you guys think. I know we're a small community but it still amazes me that so many people are willing to play one of the worst characters in the game. Thanks for responding by the way.

Stickmanlolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lolaldenlee
Switch FC
SW-1694-6309-5598
I've always just liked the character since I was little. When I learned she was in the game I thought "I HAVE to play as her from now on!" I promptly gave up as Brawl Jiggs was virtually unplayable >.> Then when this game came there was new hope she was tolerable and was the only character that felt good in my hands when I played the game. Totally worth the struggle compared to Brawl

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
She's my favorite Nintendo character, and if I have to be at a disadvantage for playing as my favorite, then so be it. This world isn't fair, and so is Smash, some people are just going to be given crappier decks than everyone else, and while I understand and respect why other people would quit for a better deck, I intend to make my lesser deck work, regardless how much of a disadvantage it's at. If I lose a match, it isn't my character's fault, sure I could be at a disadvantage, but if I was strong enough to make that disadvantage negligible, then I'd win, the only reason any player loses is because they weren't strong enough. I just need to put in more work than everyone else to win, and while it's completely unfair, I'll just have to deal with it. If it's my favorite character, I'm going to play as them and make them work, no matter what.

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
She's my favorite Nintendo character, and if I have to be at a disadvantage for playing as my favorite, then so be it. This world isn't fair, and so is Smash, some people are just going to be given crappier decks than everyone else, and while I understand and respect why other people would quit for a better deck, I intend to make my lesser deck work, regardless how much of a disadvantage it's at. If I lose a match, it isn't my character's fault, sure I could be at a disadvantage, but if I was strong enough to make that disadvantage negligible, then I'd win, the only reason any player loses is because they weren't strong enough. I just need to put in more work than everyone else to win, and while it's completely unfair, I'll just have to deal with it. If it's my favorite character, I'm going to play as them and make them work, no matter what.
wouldn't a lesser deck be an advantage, since you are more likely to get matches and such? If you had a bigger deck, you would be less likely to get similar cards, due to the chances of probability being against you.

Yeah, I'm great at parties...

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
wouldn't a lesser deck be an advantage, since you are more likely to get matches and such? If you had a bigger deck, you would be less likely to get similar cards, due to the chances of probability being against you.

Yeah, I'm great at parties...
Your right, the smaller deck is better. Whoops.:lol:
You know what I mean't though. :p

Acker

Your fate is clear!
NNID
AckerPro
3DS FC
2063-0367-4665
Obviously because she's cute :4jigglypuff:
And also because I personally like how she play, jumping around the stage with her great air mobility it's just funny and landing a rest is so satisfying.

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
She is obviously not as good as the other characters, and yes, I've gotten players that are impressed by me saying I'd be much better (Estimating top 12 locally) if I played a Top tier or something, and kept working on that top tier as much as my Jigglypuff, but I'm very loyal.

I wasn't a competitve player when Sm4sh came out. I was kinda good, but I had no idea about some of the cool stuff. I almost immediately got into it, and have gotten pretty good. When I was a casual, I played Jigglypuff, because sometimes I got the wall of pain (as a casual that was amazing), I was good at getting rest against my friends, I loved every smash attack a lot (not anymore), and I felt like she was underrated because no one I knew used her. I felt kinda special too.

I loved playing her and she was tons of fun, and I kept playing her as a came to be pretty good. I still get that fun come to me when I'm doing well against an opponent, or able to go even with a top-ish player, or play doubles, or get a dope rest and a crowd cheers, or disrespecting, or getting questions when I play in friendlies.

I've been having a little less fun with her lately, and I might be making her a secondary and focus on another character, maybe Peach, Diddy, Fox, Falco or something... Maybe just a top tier like Sheik or Pikachu.

I'll probably play her until June and see what I think of her... Sometimes I still get those exhilitrating moments, and remember why I love(d) Jigglypuff, but those are far and few between now. I'd like to win a tourney with her, and I can in the next year if I put in tons of practice, but that probably won't happen... Maybe two years?

I might not quit her... I'm kinda 50-50. There isn't another character is like to play, but I've been falling out of Jigglypuff lately... And I don't want to quit the game...

Last edited:

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
I've been asking myself that. I feel I kind of reached a personal plateau with Puff. Its why I've been trying to pick up a top tier. (been trying out Villager, Diddy and Ryu, they each have some surprising similarities with Puff) I'll definitely keep playing Puff, but as time goes on I may only play her in matchups I feel particularly confident with her in. (Which is really only ROB, Samus, Jr and the ditto )

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Two reasons:
1. I love the character.
2. She induces so much salt.
And 2 1/2. She's ****ing adorable! I mean, just look at her.

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130
She is obviously not as good as the other characters, and yes, I've gotten players that are impressed by me saying I'd be much better (Estimating top 12 locally) if I played a Top tier or something, and kept working on that top tier as much as my Jigglypuff, but I'm very loyal.

I wasn't a competitve player when Sm4sh came out. I was kinda good, but I had no idea about some of the cool stuff. I almost immediately got into it, and have gotten pretty good. When I was a casual, I played Jigglypuff, because sometimes I got the wall of pain (as a casual that was amazing), I was good at getting rest against my friends, I loved every smash attack a lot (not anymore), and I felt like she was underrated because no one I knew used her. I felt kinda special too.

I loved playing her and she was tons of fun, and I kept playing her as a came to be pretty good. I still get that fun come to me when I'm doing well against an opponent, or able to go even with a top-ish player, or play doubles, or get a dope rest and a crowd cheers, or disrespecting, or getting questions when I play in friendlies.

I've been having a little less fun with her lately, and I might be making her a secondary and focus on another character, maybe Peach, Diddy, Fox, Falco or something... Maybe just a top tier like Sheik or Pikachu.

I'll probably play her until June and see what I think of her... Sometimes I still get those exhilitrating moments, and remember why I love(d) Jigglypuff, but those are far and few between now. I'd like to win a tourney with her, and I can in the next year if I put in tons of practice, but that probably won't happen... Maybe two years?

I might not quit her... I'm kinda 50-50. There isn't another character is like to play, but I've been falling out of Jigglypuff lately... And I don't want to quit the game...
This is so on spot to me. I felt good at first with her but now not so much. I just wish her frame data was better.

To be honest, I only started playing her because she's cute and I like rest. I preferred Little Mac but I don't think he's viable. I'm starting to think the same about Puff :c

I like the way to think but to be fair, it isn't always possible to win with a character (or at least, it's highly likely that you'll lose). I mean what if your favorite character is Brawl's Ganondorf or something?

Last edited:

FoxwolfJackson

Smash Rookie
From 64 to Melee to Brawl to Smash 4, the reason is always the same. Nothing is as satisfying as hearing the sound of a well-placed rest. Nothing is more satisfying than to hear a crowd around the TV at an anime convention's game room all going "Ohhhhh!!!" when you land a double or triple kill in a free-for-all match.

Nothing is more satisfying than learning an ultra-precise character with a huge-risk/huge-reward attack in rest and marveling in the precision necessary to use, then laugh as other people try to fruitlessly mimic what you do when playing at parties.

I also like the fact that Jigglypuff can jump multiple times. It shares this ability with Kirby back in 64, but I just never could get the hang of the other pink puffball, for some odd reason. So, Jiggs it was and Jiggs it is.

All-in-all, it's a bit of just because it fits my playstyle and partially because of tradition. That, and the salt it induces.

Last edited:

Kojii

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Afrooooo
3DS FC
1650-1652-7604
Before the game came out I wanted to main Rosalina, but a week before release I was blessed by melee puff and decided to main her in smash 4. I tried some rosa too, but people were complaining and I just slowly started playing more puff. I've subbed a lot of characters in the past like rosa, zelda, g&w, WFT, villager and DHD, but every time I try them in bracket things go badly, so I have to play puff to actually do reasonable good. But since every MU in my region except falcon is a hassle reaching the top is a struggle it's even harder to reach the top. I want to get better results and I feel like the only way to get there is by playing a "better" character. So this week and longer, Villager is in the spotlight. It might just be Ranai-syndrome, but I'll be trying to find a character who suits me. I've gotten credit for my offstage and item game (of all things), so it might be the way to go. I don't know, we'll see.

What I love about our favourite pink pluffball is destroying your opponent and seeing the fear in their eyes. Telling them stuff like "You're at rest %s btw" to make them freak out. Carrying people off stage with the wall of pain, edge guarding people to oblivion, breaking shields, utilt, dair, fair to rest and the trample dash attack. That's some of my favourite things about her. I also really like that she's underdeveloped, because it feels amazing labbing and finding out stuff "no one" has done before.

Also fun to give people who look down on her a beating.

marteen_

Smash Cadet
NNID
martinthelee
Also fun to give people who look down on her a beating.
This. ^

But I also really enjoy her playstyle for some reason even though I initially started using her as a joke. Getting those fair/nair strings are pretty satisfying, then it's always a pleasure to then blow someone back with a Rest.

I know she's not really a good characther, but I also do enjoy trying to make use of Sing and Rollout.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
Jigglypuff was one of my favourite Pokemon when Red and Blue came out (I like cute stuff.), and then when I saw Jiggs was unlockable in 64, I kind of freaked out. There wasn't really a community back then, so general opinion among my peers locally was that it was the worst character in the game. What a shock they had when I'd trap them into a rest; most didn't even know rest did anything.

I've kept my love for the character through the years, though I didn't main Jiggs in Melee and Brawl. 4 Jiggs gives me a similar feel I had in the 64 days. But yeah, I do get frustrated sometimes, discouraged even; have to expect that from a character who is greatly at risk in comparison to the rest of the cast. Sometimes I consider maining someone else, but secondaries along with my devotion to the character have kept me going for now. If I were to ever change mains in the future, Jiggs would probably end up being my top secondary, or even tied with whatever character I'd choose. It's become a part of who I am; people expect me to play Jigglypuff, and they respect me for being that off-the-wall player they can't sleep on, no pun intended.

LifeMakesMeLOL

Smash Rookie
she's fun

it can be frustrating to lose against someone equally skilled because the character is flat out bad, but that just tells me i need to get better.

OmegaStriker

Smash Cadet
:4jigglypuff: The huggable-ness!

But seriously, there's some satisfaction that I get from having so much freedom to move around in the air like she can. Rest is the most satisfying move in the game to land to me. Pound is another move I love to use. I've played Jigglypuff since I unlocked her in Smash 64 along with Fox.

DWILS

Smash Rookie
NNID
dylpyckles
I want a challenge. No fun in doing guaranteed combos that are easy to land the whole time. Jigglypuff may also have some untapped potential that is fun to try and find. Even if we don't get our Melee Puff back, I love the fact that her Rest mechanic is still here. I still play Jigglypuff because how fun she still is, and a little bit of character loyalty ;)

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
I've been playing Puff ever since Brawl, I always found her play style to be fun, not only that, but I think that she has potential to be a good character to use. And besides, I think Jigglypuff needs some love!

Crabbin

Smash Rookie
Been using her for every game so far as a main or secondary. Old habits die hard. I was also a pretty big fan of Pokemon when I was younger, so I tend to try out the Pokemon characters before others.

I also really like characters with good mobility. I don't mind playing Bowser, but the sluggishness feels restricting. Jiggly is very easy to maneuver in the air, Sonic is easy on the ground. So a bit of a "character feel" thing. I also play a lot of Wario and Mewtwo for the same reasons.

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130
I want a challenge. No fun in doing guaranteed combos that are easy to land the whole time. Jigglypuff may also have some untapped potential that is fun to try and find. Even if we don't get our Melee Puff back, I love the fact that her Rest mechanic is still here. I still play Jigglypuff because how fun she still is, and a little bit of character loyalty ;)
You could still get a challenge by playing someone better than you/someone on your level, though.

Last edited:

TyDye

Crash Bandicoot for Smash!
I picked her up after watching Hbox matches in Melee. I like how she plays and she comes naturally to me. I personally believe she is good in this game, not as good as in Melee but good none the less. Although I do feel like I am usually fighting from behind with her, I don't have an issue winning. However I sometimes like to compare playing as Jiggs to playing Russian Roulette. She's just so satisfying to win with!

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I enjoy the game when I play as Villager and Jigglypuff the most.

Jigglypuff makes me smile and laugh :3

<3

Top Bottom