• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you main Samus?

Killtrox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ToFindAndBeFound
While I don't main Samus, I have her as a secondary. Captain Falcon fits my playstyle, but Samus Aran is probably my favorite video game character of all time. I've got a Metroid shirt for every day of the week (if I were so inclined), I've played every Metroid game, Super Metroid being my first.

I have a lot of memories tied to the game. My dad originally brought home a SNES and Super Metroid when I was 4 years old, just because he wanted to. We hooked it up and played it until I had to go to bed. I still have that same SNES and Super Metroid. I've had a lot of people offer to buy it from me, and I always refuse. I'll have that game until the day I die.

I feel bad that I don't main Samus, but in Melee and Sm4sh she just doesn't meet my personal style of playing enough for me to main her.

But I can't help but love her.

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
While I don't main Samus, I have her as a secondary. Captain Falcon fits my playstyle, but Samus Aran is probably my favorite video game character of all time. I've got a Metroid shirt for every day of the week (if I were so inclined), I've played every Metroid game, Super Metroid being my first.

I have a lot of memories tied to the game. My dad originally brought home a SNES and Super Metroid when I was 4 years old, just because he wanted to. We hooked it up and played it until I had to go to bed. I still have that same SNES and Super Metroid. I've had a lot of people offer to buy it from me, and I always refuse. I'll have that game until the day I die.

I feel bad that I don't main Samus, but in Melee and Sm4sh she just doesn't meet my personal style of playing enough for me to main her.

But I can't help but love her.
Well I guess we found out who the biggest Metroid fan is.

So you and Metroid have quite the history together, huh?

Don't feel bad for not maining Samus. If she doesn't fit your needs than she simply isn't the one for you. Same thing happened to me and Megaman. I was really looking forward to maining him and Shulk but they were just too awkward.
If you really wanted to you could try to adjust to Samus' playstyle. I'm trying to do that with Peach right now.

Killtrox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ToFindAndBeFound
Well I guess we found out who the biggest Metroid fan is.

So you and Metroid have quite the history together, huh?

Don't feel bad for not maining Samus. If she doesn't fit your needs than she simply isn't the one for you. Same thing happened to me and Megaman. I was really looking forward to maining him and Shulk but they were just too awkward.
If you really wanted to you could try to adjust to Samus' playstyle. I'm trying to do that with Peach right now.
Ha ha, I don't know if I'm the biggest fan, but I'm definitely a fan (minus Other M, seriously, that game is horrible). And of course I have a big history with that game. It, Final Fantasy VII, and Melee are the only "old" games I still go back and play, aside from a few random SNES and N64 titles.

I'm currently saving up to get a Metroid-themed half-sleeve. I'm dig the art style in my avatar, but want a sort of pin-up posture. I'm just gonna commission one of the artists there to draw a better idea than I can come up with, ha ha.

I tried Megaman too! He's really, really good, but I couldn't get it to work. Same with Shulk. They just feel clunky in my hands.

I've been trying off and on. I actually used her against a Sheik that destroyed my Captain Falcon in tourney (as in, 2 stocked me), and managed to get a stock off of him. Not that I'm better with Samus, I just happened to make it work and I think he wasn't used to her spacing. Either way, it felt really good.

Good luck with Peach! She's another character who feels weird to me.

Jman3

Smash Rookie
Similar to most everyone here I am a huge Metroid fan and have mained Samus in every Smash game. I have played all the games, beaten them all with the exception of the original (and prime 2 but that was because my memory card was corrupted right at the end of the game). I have Metroid fan art all over my room, t-shirts in my closet, and I have 4 Samus Amiibo (most of which I will be customizing). When you get used to her play style she can be really lethal although I have a hard time playing her in Smash 4 because I play Melee the most (RIP Missile Cancels).

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
I started picking up samus when I bought an Amiibo Samus. then after several training sessions learned more about my capability with the gal. And since buying the metroid prime trilogy on the E-shop (seriously nintendo? $9.99? GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME)
and playing through it for the first time, I now am influenced to pick Samus 79% of the time, which is a lot for someone who chooses to have random be their main.

CHA0SPHERE

Smash Rookie
NNID
CHAOSPHERE_1988
In Smash 4, she was the first character I gained a substantial difference in W/L with, which spurred me on to spend time learning to play her properly. I'm usually an aggressive player and zoning has always been such a chore to me in other games, but this isn't the case with Samus. She has such a great, risky baiting game which is challenging and rewarding.

Killtrox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ToFindAndBeFound
In Smash 4, she was the first character I gained a substantial difference in W/L with, which spurred me on to spend time learning to play her properly. I'm usually an aggressive player and zoning has always been such a chore to me in other games, but this isn't the case with Samus. She has such a great, risky baiting game which is challenging and rewarding.
Nice avatar

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Just to get in on the Samus fandom I will hereby release the official guide to best Metroid games.

10/10
1) Super Metroid
2) Metroid Prime
3) Metroid Prime 3
9/10
4) Metroid Fusion
5) Metroid Prime 2
8/10
6) Metroid (NES)
7) Metroid Zero Mission
7/10
8) Metroid Prime: Hunters (probably doesn't stand the test of time with the weaksauce DS gfx)
9) Metroid 2
6/10
10) Metroid Prime Pinball
5/10
11) Metroid Other M (let's just get rid of explorations and upgrades and add a guy that tells you where to go and when you can use your equipment)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Y'know, for the record, Metroid Fusion had a computer telling you where to go,
somewhat limited exploration until near the end (not quite as bad I'll admit) and basically
had equipment authorizations (though more justified here since Samus actually lost them, and
some being regained by Core-Xs). Other M basically exaggerated everything that set Fusion
apart (though Fusion did have the lonely atmosphere the series is known for, as well as not stopping
you whenever danger happened).

Last edited:

Beard Hawk

Smash Apprentice
somewhat limited exploration until near the end (not quite as bad I'll admit) and basically
had equipment authorizations (though more justified here since Samus actually lost them, and
some being regained by Core-Xs). Other M basically exaggerated everything that set Fusion
apart (though Fusion did have the lonely atmosphere the series is known for, as well as not stopping
Fusion is not a great Metroid game.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If anything, Fusion shows that a greater focus on story and exposition aren't necessarily
bad for Metroid if done right. Corruption is also a good example. Other M just overdid it, but
what could we really expect otherwise from Team Ninja?

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
I still think Metroid Fusion is pretty damn good, and the best 2D sidescroller on GBA. It's not a masterpiece like Super Metroid and Metroid Prime though.

Killtrox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ToFindAndBeFound
Plus, SA-X was legit scary. Fusion did a fantastic job of making Samus, as incredibly badass as she is, feel weak and in danger.

Other M tried to accomplish that by giving Samus Stockholme Syndrome.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Plus, SA-X was legit scary. Fusion did a fantastic job of making Samus, as incredibly badass as she is, feel weak and in danger.

And remember, "TVTropes are not bad". Bag Of Spilling FTW.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Other M is my favourite metroid game, prime series is too open got no direction, and the other ones >2d lol. Hope the next metroid is an Other M sequel, or maybe even prequel so we can have Adam back.

Beard Hawk

Smash Apprentice

Good call actually. Sa-x(ophone) was scary. Zero Mission also used fear really well towards the end. You could say that it wasn't very 'Metroid', but it was refreshing and I will admit it got my heart racing. That was my favourite thing about Twilight Princess as well, the scary bits where you're being chased.

Killtrox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ToFindAndBeFound
So...what about those who actually prefer linearity?
It isn't even a debate between linearity vs non-linearity. It's a debate between games that don't necessarily have a storyline possessing a better story than Other M. It gutted the essence of who Samus is.

Tonetta

Smash Apprentice
I play samus because the in-game character is very thematic in the sense that she's a puzzle to play. Also having a ranged kill move is pretty sweet!

_gold_

Smash Master
Samus is unlike any fighter in Smash. I sometimes experiment with other fighters, but they're never as fun to play as than Samus. She's fairly hard to master, but that's what I like about her. People think of Samus as just a fighter who spams projectiles, but she's much more than that. She can mix up her play style and get inside the opponent's head. And there's nothing quite like a charge shot to seal the deal on a match.

No matter what tier list labels Samus as "bad", she will always be my go-to Smasher!

Top Bottom