• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you main Lucario?

JesusTheSecondComing

Smash Rookie
I think the Lucario character thread needs some more love so let's discuss why we chose Lucario as a main. Personally I was getting my but kicked by my group of friends I play PM with maining as Link and Bowser so I decided I needed to pick a new guy to get good with. I looked at the list of characters and I wanted a guy that not a lot of people used but you could get cool combos with and most importantly looked awesome doing it. So I picked Lucario purely based I loved using him in competitive pokemon and I had used him to beat my friends before just in a different game (aka pokemon not PM). After doing research on him and figuring out the cancel system I fell in love with it and continue to learn more about him.

Bane13

Smash Rookie
I wanted a guy that not a lot of people used but you could get cool combos with and most importantly looked awesome doing it.
This was a big reason for me. Playing a character people don't see often but who could also be fun to watch. Lucario is a character that people can get hype about.

Another big reason is that I mainly come from the anime fighting community (BlazBlue, Guilty Gear, etc.). The cancels feel natural and intuitive to me.

Also he's a dog. What's not to love?

Nippo

Smash Cadet
Lucario is my favorite Pokemon, but I didn't main him in Brawl because he felt sluggish and limited. However, I was smitten with his much more versatile and interesting Project M incarnation, and his "magic series" combos were a natural transition from Guilty Gear and BlazBlue, which I also play. He's even cooler now with his new kempo moves, too.

AkashSky

Smash Apprentice
I main lucario because back when I was a scrub, it was easier to cancel hits into other hits than it was to perform L-cancel techs. So back when me and my friends were scrubs, it was alot easier to win with lucario because I was "cancelling" while my opponents were not L-cancelling. As time progressed my friends got a lot better at the game and this advantage disappeared.

However, I still enjoyed the way lucario played and I have spent considerable time learning the basic things about the character so its safe to say that I'm a Lucario 4 Lyfe.

Risky

Smash Ace
Really unique and dynamic combos and pressure, good mobility, and I have a boner for command grabs.

Zoa

Smash Ace
The transition from Brawl to P:M Luc felt like a buff in play style for me. Luc's aura mechanics in Brawl just weren't scaling fast enough for the damage intake he would have. I will say I'm looking forward to the SSB4 aura mechanic buffs though. About time it was put to good use.

BFlake

Smash Rookie
Definitely the familiarity from other magic series fighters and I'm with Darkgun I have my select choices in characters and I will play everyone to get good with all their MUs. Also with Risky command grabs couldn't get me any harder especially since it's like one of the most powerful spikes in PM charged.

AcidM

Smash Rookie
I've tried every character out multiple times and with Lucario I can win consistently. There's many people I would have loved to main but Lucario just feels right. Plus i get this feeling of accomplishment with Lucario the more I practice him and able to land sick gimps or combos into gimps during matches. To me hes Fox but as a Jedi

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
1. He looks awesome.
2. I love pokemon (I don't play it to often at the moment, due to Smash)
3. His combos are ridiculous (I also play Lucas and Charizard)

So, I just all around love Lucario. Although after playing P:M Lucario I can't stand brawl Lucario anymore.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Character loyalty.

I know what to do with his spacing and mind games.

I don't like his PM set compared to his brawl one, I've played him since 08. But it's dealable.

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
I main him because I always wanted a combo heavy character in Smash as those tended to be the characters I would main in other fighting games

Cuban Pete

King of the Rumba Beat
I was just getting into Project M and decided to try Lucario. Everything just felt so natural, my friends say I've been learning him at a pretty fast pace for someone that hasn't played anything but smash 64 and that was like 4 years ago.

EDIT: Also, I like his neutral AB and his forward tilt AB

Last edited:

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I mained him in vBrawl, and I was super amped about the changes they made to him in PM. I used him when he first got released in 2.1, but when Wario got good in 2.5 I switched to him. I stuck with Wario for awhile, but I tried to keep Lucario in my back pocket. When Yoshi came out in 3.0, I switched to him, but again, I kept Lucario around as a secondary. I picked Lucario back up more seriously, recently, and he's currently my strongest character. I actually played in my first PM tourney yesterday, and had a decent amount of success with him. He's definitely the character I most want to improve on, at the moment.

paxinchristo

Smash Ace
Character loyalty for sure. Played him in brawl and loved it, but it was sad how limited I felt while playing. In PM, Lucario became the character he's supposed to be in my mind. Fell in love with him and I have no intention of turning back.

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
I play him because I have fun playing him. I'm not a traditional fighter person so the magic series concept is foreign, but I like the possibilities it opens up. Moreover since I'm all by myself all I can really do is practice tech skill and Lucario has plenty of that. I still suck at it, Smash is not my highest priority, but I enjoy the challenge and if my brain and fingers could keep up with whatever I'm trying to do I probably wouldn't be playing.

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
I use to main traditional fighters. so.. stepping into PM it was the most natural. and custom combos with him are next level fun when resetting ppl with command grabs.

Chaos Archangel

Smash Cadet
I just got PM two days ago, so I'm still total scrub-sause (No L-cancelling or Wave Dashing yet) who was really good in Brawl. I picked up Lucario because in his description I read "magic series" and as a fighting game fan my eyes lit up.

So I tried him out, and his playstyle is pays such homage to traditional fighting games that I instantly fell in love. So much creativity and work was put into redesigning the character and it's evident in how he has an invisible "super meter" (building aura) and "EX" versions of all his specials like in a true fighting game.

I had never liked Lucario and never payed it any mind in either the Pokemon games OR in Brawl but he may usurp Diddy/Squirtle as my new main!

Kölo: King of Sloth

Smash Rookie
I tried playing Luc in Brawl, and as much as I wanted it. He just wasn't viable to my play style. Then I got PM, and the smash god said, "Yes, my child." Lucario's speed and just general open feeling; instant hard-on. I used to main pit, because I'm an Armada fanboy, but Luc is my man, now.

Alderwin

Smash Rookie
I love pokemon. I like to play lucario and Charizard, but a couple of days ago I decided to put a lot of effort into learning/practicing general and unique tech for him and it's just so much fun. At first, when I didn't understand how to play him, I thought he was boring and I was salty that I couldn't figure out his AB move, then one night I said "I'm going to learn how to play Lucario" and that was the magic night.

TayzerStrike

Smash Rookie
He was just too much fun, I was trying out different characters; to figure out who to main, and Lucario felt unique. I read up on him, loved his OHC system, and decided to learn him.

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
I enjoy his movement & "gimmick", plus canceling dash attack into dsmash on high % opponents always puts a smile on my face :D

Haden

If life is so fair, why do roses have thorns?
Lucario is probably the most underrated character in the game on the tier list, and probably the most secretly hidden gem out there. I commonly produce 50% + in mere seconds with the cancel system. Lucario is not only agile and fights with a cancel system to produce ridiculously unfair combos, but he has evasive moveset as well which can change him from offensive to defensive at any given moment. Not only can he wreck people up close and personal, but he has a spacing game on top of it if needed to be used. What I love most about lucario is doing jab jab up smash jump cancel into aura bomb, it's just really good and produces stupid amounts of damage for little to no work.... lucario also being able to down special through people or projectiles, or even to close gaps between you and the player during your combos to extend them is what really makes him so good. SERIOUSLY underrated.

zman804

Smash Ace
I play him because he used to be super easy and OP in 2.1 and now I have this character loyalty towards him

TCH

Smash Rookie
I main Lucario because of how fun and unique of a character he is. His OHC system is really nice for combos and I find that all of Lucario's moves are unique for comboing. Other then that, his recovery is pretty good and the aura you get from hitting people could either help you in racking up more damage or for recovery. To me, no other character had this special design and I eventually began to become loyal to Lucario.

Hazm@

Smash Rookie
1. His fantastic juggling ability
2. Pretty cool pokemon in the games
3. unique concept among other smash characters
4. the feeling when your opponent doesn't know what's happening as you aerial side-b spike their face
5. he is super underrated and i want to prove it

Blitzus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4253-3622-3146
I started playing Lucario because I was watching @ bec bec on TLOC stream a while back before I had PM and saw her wreck people.

The main reason I fell in love with Luc from that were those sweet dunks (side b). Lucario has the most impressive PM exclusive animations across the whole game, and the dunk is so fun to use.

I love to dash attack, down smash, forward air, Charged Lucari-Dunk.

So simple in theory, so beautiful in execution...

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
oh wow
im so glad you decided to pick him up!! he's a super fun character and so rewarding to play.

personally, i played lucario in brawl as my secondary, and when i first started playing pm i didnt like how pika (brawl main) played so i tried lucario and have stuck with him ever since :D

Szion

Smash Journeyman
I'm a loser and a furry
Favorite pokemon
Favorite color is blue.
I love combos. That's what he DOES. i see players who are so much better than me but for whatever reason they dont combo like I do. I literally ignore everything but combos when i start a character. This character rewards me alot for doing so but later on i struggle at being good at anything else. /not dying to fox plzhelp

I love his movepool right now with the up smash and nair and air sideB. Like. this is all fun things that fun people enjoy! I love it~ <3

TheBearsFist

Smash Cadet
I Mained Lucas in 3.02. After 3.5 dropped Lucas got the beaten by the lag bat and for me wasn't as fun to play. I still won most of my matches but the magic wasn't there. I played Squitle for a while and watched a gif of a squiggle vs. Lucario. Blew. My. Mind.
I had honestly never seen anyone play Luc and after a couple of games I walked off my boner and decided to main Lucario. As an added bonus/not bonus there is only one other Lucario main in my region and If I get good I am pretty much guaranteed a mad rep.

Plus kenpo looks ****ing rad.

Top Bottom